Refugee crisis: the beggars of Beirut

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I think all of us can feel for these kids and the predicament they find themselves.

Refugee crisis: the beggars of Beirut

Date
August 15, 2015

Ruth Pollard
Middle East Correspondent

1439600468052.jpg

A Syrian boy sits on a footpath as he begs for money in Beirut. Photo: Reuters

Beirut: At just 11 years old, Samer's workplace was a highway.

He cut a tiny figure among the cars and trucks that thunder along the road between Beirut and Damascus, darting in and out of the traffic, selling packets of chewing gum for whatever cash people would pay.

1439600468052.jpg

A Syrian woman sits begging with children on a street in Beirut. Photo: Reuters

His family fled to Lebanon from the northern Syrian city of Idlib in late 2011, as the rebel Free Syrian Army battled to take the town from soldiers loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.

Advertisement

Soon after they arrived his father forced him onto the streets to work.

It all changed when Samer's right leg was broken when he was hit by a car. Terrified of his father and determined not to go back to the highway, he managed to get to a police station and was taken to a shelter for abused and abandoned children.

Read more:

Refugee crisis the beggars of Beirut

You know, I hope that the author of the article and the photographer gave these folks money or bought them food. I really do.

The older that I get the more I am repulsed by reporters or "journalists" that profit off of misery by interviewing or taking pictures but do not lift a hand.

beggers have been a problem for more than 50 yrs. Sadly, many refuse work if offered, even spitting in your face. We used to try to hire during spring cleaning or opening homes for the season to clean and air out the places.
When we had large parties, we would hire for washing dishes and general housework before during and after.
Many families have to hire from outside the country. Shame when there are so many that could work and need money already there.

Forum List

Back