Records of the pyramid builders: discovering eye-witness accounts of a legendary construction project

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
We know it as the Great Pyramid. To the Ancient Egyptians it was the Akhet Khufu or Horizon of Khufu, named after the 4th Dynasty king who reigned from roughly 2633 BC to 2605 BC. By any measure, the pyramid that served as his tomb was a staggering accomplishment. Its four sides were each approximately 230m long, while the edifice incorporated some 2.3 million blocks and originally stood almost 150m high. Within lay an intricate network of chambers and passages, which showcase the skill of Egyptian masons. Despite the monument’s impressive statistics, though, there is one thing it is notably short of: text. Unlike some later pyramids, and the famous tombs crowding the Valley of the Kings, the interior of the Great Pyramid is not lavishly adorned with hieroglyphics. Instead, just a few graffiti naming work gangs were daubed in suitably discreet spots. Until recently, these sparse words provided the only contemporary textual glimpse of construction operations.

A decade ago, hoping to secure an eye-witness account of work on the Great Pyramid would have seemed like archaeological wishful thinking of the highest order. But then, in 2013, fragments of the earliest papyri documents ever found were recovered by an archaeological team led by Pierre Tallet, Professor of Egyptology at the University of Paris-Sorbonne. It speaks volumes about the scale of Khufu’s grand design that these texts, which were compiled by individuals involved with construction operations, were not found within the pyramid or even at Giza. Instead, they were recovered more than 130km away, in Egypt’s Eastern Desert near the Red Sea shore. The papyri comprise logbooks and other bureaucratic records that detail the activities of teams engaged on Khufu’s mortuary complex. Some of these accounts overlap in a remarkable fashion with the results of archaeological work led by Mark Lehner, President of AERA (Ancient Egypt Research Associates), at Giza. Now these two archaeologists have collaborated on a book shedding new light on one of the most renowned archaeological monuments in the world (see ‘Further reading’).

This is so freaking cool.

We know it as the Great Pyramid. To the Ancient Egyptians it was the Akhet Khufu or Horizon of Khufu, named after the 4th Dynasty king who reigned from roughly 2633 BC to 2605 BC. By any measure, the pyramid that served as his tomb was a staggering accomplishment. Its four sides were each approximately 230m long, while the edifice incorporated some 2.3 million blocks and originally stood almost 150m high. Within lay an intricate network of chambers and passages, which showcase the skill of Egyptian masons. Despite the monument’s impressive statistics, though, there is one thing it is notably short of: text. Unlike some later pyramids, and the famous tombs crowding the Valley of the Kings, the interior of the Great Pyramid is not lavishly adorned with hieroglyphics. Instead, just a few graffiti naming work gangs were daubed in suitably discreet spots. Until recently, these sparse words provided the only contemporary textual glimpse of construction operations.

A decade ago, hoping to secure an eye-witness account of work on the Great Pyramid would have seemed like archaeological wishful thinking of the highest order. But then, in 2013, fragments of the earliest papyri documents ever found were recovered by an archaeological team led by Pierre Tallet, Professor of Egyptology at the University of Paris-Sorbonne. It speaks volumes about the scale of Khufu’s grand design that these texts, which were compiled by individuals involved with construction operations, were not found within the pyramid or even at Giza. Instead, they were recovered more than 130km away, in Egypt’s Eastern Desert near the Red Sea shore. The papyri comprise logbooks and other bureaucratic records that detail the activities of teams engaged on Khufu’s mortuary complex. Some of these accounts overlap in a remarkable fashion with the results of archaeological work led by Mark Lehner, President of AERA (Ancient Egypt Research Associates), at Giza. Now these two archaeologists have collaborated on a book shedding new light on one of the most renowned archaeological monuments in the world (see ‘Further reading’).

This is so freaking cool.
What?!! It wasn't ancient aliens!!! I'm so disappointed.......... NOT!!!!! :thup:

What?!! It wasn't ancient aliens!!! I'm so disappointed.......... NOT!!!!! :thup:
You know sumpin'? I came across something that I haven't fully examined yet. In antiquity they actually had people that believed in UFOs. I was like, nah. But, it was mentioned by an author that wasn't insane. Since that wasn't the central theme of the book it did not 'splain further. I'm tempted. No lie.

Good stuff. No telling what is buried under that dry desert there. I hope people never stop finding whatever is there to be found.

The Pyramids at one time were covered with a mirror so that when the sun hit it they lit up like stars that could be seen from very far away.

Must have been a grand sight, that is, unless you went blind looking at it.

You know sumpin'? I came across something that I haven't fully examined yet. In antiquity they actually had people that believed in UFOs. I was like, nah. But, it was mentioned by an author that wasn't insane. Since that wasn't the central theme of the book it did not 'splain further. I'm tempted. No lie.

Is it the UFO report in Pliny the Elder's Natural History?

NASA has a pdf with a list of ancient sightings for those into that stuff here.

UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS IN CLASSICAL ANTIQUITY*

The Pyramids at one time were covered with a mirror so that when the sun hit it they lit up like stars that could be seen from very far away.

Kind of like a lighthouse, only for land navigation?

That's a rather long piece.

Does it actually mention how they did it?

So far, Edward Leedskalnin is the only person I know of who figured it out....and put it to use (by himself) with his Coral Castle. Twice. He was five feet tall, severely underweight and had tuberculosis, I'd add.

For what I have read.....and yes, I know it's controversial, the pyramids were built by an early civilization than the Egyptians..... as was the Sphinx.....I'm not talking about aliens here....just talking about an older civilization pre deluge.

I prefer to keep my mind open for this things.:)

Last edited:
I watched a show about the various theories of how the pyramids were built once which came in handy a few years later. I bought a lot I was clearing next to my existing land and encountered many rocks. I dug most of them up by hand and manhandled them away in the part that I was converting to lawn. However, one of the ones sticking up too high to mow over was pretty damn big. Being too much of a cheapskate to hire a backhoe for one rock, I thunk on the pyramid show. I dug completely out around it. Used leverage to get one side up an inch or two and filled in under it. Used leverage on the other side and did the same thing. Rinse and repeat many many times and my way to big to pick up rock was now all on the surface.

1657310245029.png

Polished limestone, not mirrors.

Forum List

Back