Rebel Buddhist Nun--Thailand

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
And in 1928, a secular law was passed by the state banning Thai monks from ordaining women. For Phra Tepvisutthikawee, secretary general of the Buddhism Protection Center of Thailand, the whole discussion is pointless. “It is not a question about [it being] fair or unfair,” he says. “It is just not permitted under the Dhamma Vinaya” — the monastic rules determined by the interpretation of the Pāli Canon, the standard collection of scriptures in the Theravadan Buddhist tradition— “to ordain women.” The Dalai Lama has said on multiple occasions that he believes women should have access to full ordination but he does not, however, have the authority to institute bhikṣuṇī ordination in the entire Buddhist community.

Dhammananda was 40 when she donned her saffron robes. Before that, she spent decades working as an academic on a liberal arts faculty in which 80 percent of the staff were women. She married, raised three sons and became an eminent student of Theravada Buddhism, even hosting her own TV show about Buddhist practices that aired in the mid ’80s.
Thailand's Rebel Buddhist Nun

Inspiring lady!

The Dalai Lama didn't even understand the inequality in Buddhism until he met with a group of Western Buddhist women.

The Dalai Lama didn't even understand the inequality in Buddhism until he met with a group of Western Buddhist women.
I must have missed that detail in the article. I thought it said that the state didn't allow women monks, not that Buddhism didn't allow them. Are you saying the Dalai Lama had been practicing Buddhism, that is inherently unequal, without knowing it?

Last edited:
I must have missed that detail in the article. What are we to make of that?
That detail was not in the article, it is known to me. We can safely say that even in Buddhism, discrimination against women is a feature.

That detail was not in the article, it is known to me. We can safely say that even in Buddhism, discrimination against women is a feature.
How so?
For one, some sects of Buddhism claim that you cannot be enlightened if you're born in a female body.

How so?
For one, some sects of Buddhism claim that you cannot be enlightened if you're born in a female body.
Interesting.

Forum List

Back