Really Lost Cat Found 1000 Miles Away 9 Years Later!

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
Woman in central California lost her 3 year old adopted barn cat in 2013 never to be seen again gets call from shelter in Idaho the other day that they found her there alive and well?! Crazy.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 12.49.54 PM.png

Cats have been known to travel great distances.

We had a really nice, clean, medium big dog show up at our house many years ago. I don't remember how it showed up but it must have ended up at our kitchen door or backyard looking in need of food and water, so we fed it and gave him water. He adopted us right away, hanging out on our patio resting and letting us pet him. There was no identifying collar or anything and we thought we had a new pet!

He vegged out the rest of the day on our patio resting, eating and getting love. That night we opened the door and he came right inside with us, so we led him down to the basement for the night to sleep and gave him a bed to lay on.

The next day we got up, opened the cellar door and there he was looking up the stairs at us! All happy and loving. He came right up and we fed him some more and let him go back outside. Sometime later we went out to check on him and he was gone! Never saw him again.

Best we could figure is that he was lost or separated from his family and was traveling to find them again. I don't know how these animals do it but it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually found his real home!

My guess is that this cat was born a stray and prefers it that way, realizing that she can find food at will, plus the occasional help from a human, maybe got picked up like the article suggests and taken to Idaho, where, when she got the chance, split for the wild again. Cats really are good at taking care of themselves. We've had 1-2 feral cats living on our patio the past few winters where they found and made a warm bed to sleep on in really cold nights to get up off the cold ground.

Now that this cat is 13 and found again, hopefully she will want to stay put and take life easy, not that the owner is likely to take a chance in letting her out again!

We had a really nice, clean, medium big dog show up at our house many years ago. I don't remember how it showed up but it must have ended up at our kitchen door or backyard looking in need of food and water, so we fed it and gave him water. He adopted us right away, hanging out on our patio resting and letting us pet him. There was no identifying collar or anything and we thought we had a new pet!

He vegged out the rest of the day on our patio resting, eating and getting love. That night we opened the door and he came right inside with us, so we led him down to the basement for the night to sleep and gave him a bed to lay on.

The next day we got up, opened the cellar door and there he was looking up the stairs at us! All happy and loving. He came right up and we fed him some more and let him go back outside. Sometime later we went out to check on him and he was gone! Never saw him again.

Best we could figure is that he was lost or separated from his family and was traveling to find them again. I don't know how these animals do it but it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually found his real home!

My guess is that this cat was born a stray and prefers it that way, realizing that she can find food at will, plus the occasional help from a human, maybe got picked up like the article suggests and taken to Idaho, where, when she got the chance, split for the wild again. Cats really are good at taking care of themselves. We've had 1-2 feral cats living on our patio the past few winters where they found and made a warm bed to sleep on in really cold nights to get up off the cold ground.

Now that this cat is 13 and found again, hopefully she will want to stay put and take life easy, not that the owner is likely to take a chance in letting her out again!
We have a cat door in our house. The cat can go in and out as she pleases.

When we go on vacation we put out food and water for her. When we get back two or three weeks later it doesn't look like the food or water has not been touched much but the cat is fine. She looks at us when we come home like "Oh, you were gone, I didn't notice".

We have a cat door in our house. The cat can go in and out as she pleases.

When we go on vacation we put out food and water for her. When we get back two or three weeks later it doesn't look like the food or water has not been touched much but the cat is fine. She looks at us when we come home like "Oh, you were gone, I didn't notice".

I'm very particular about the food I feed a pet. The stuff in the supermarket is mostly garbage made to be cheap and indestructible. These days now there are a lot of much better brands then there were years ago. Sometimes I ask the vet what to recommend, they usually have some really good stuff they sell there at the hospital. While dogs will eat anything, cats can be real fussy and sometimes, they just want the real deal--- fresh, live food.

Forum List

Back