Reagan's Welfare Queen lie.... That wasn't.

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
For years I've been hearing the Left caterwaul that Reagan lied about the "Welfare Queen".

Turns out he didn't lie.... At least not the way that the Liberals meant he did. It seems that he minimized the crimes.

Linda Taylor, welfare queen: Ronald Reagan made her a notorious American villain. Linda Taylor?s other sins were far worse.

Ronald Reagan loved to tell stories. When he ran for president in 1976, many of Reagan’s anecdotes converged on a single point: The welfare state is broken, and I’m the man to fix it. On the trail, the Republican candidate told a tale about a fancy public housing complex with a gym and a swimming pool. There was also someone in California, he’d explain incredulously, who supported herself with food stamps while learning the art of witchcraft. And in stump speech after stump speech, Reagan regaled his supporters with the story of an Illinois woman whose feats of deception were too amazing to be believed.

“In Chicago, they found a woman who holds the record,” the former California governor declared at a campaign rally in January 1976. “She used 80 names, 30 addresses, 15 telephone numbers to collect food stamps, Social Security, veterans’ benefits for four nonexistent deceased veteran husbands, as well as welfare. Her tax-free cash income alone has been running $150,000 a year.” As soon as he quoted that dollar amount, the crowd gasped.

Four decades later, Reagan’s soliloquies on welfare fraud are often remembered as shameless demagoguery. Many accounts report that Reagan coined the term “welfare queen,” and that this woman in Chicago was a fictional character. In 2007, the New York Times’ Paul Krugman wrote that “the bogus story of the Cadillac-driving welfare queen [was] a gross exaggeration of a minor case of welfare fraud.” MSNBC’s Chris Matthews says the whole thing is racist malarkey—a coded reference to black indolence and criminality designed to appeal to working-class whites.

Though Reagan was known to stretch the truth, he did not invent that woman in Chicago. Her name was Linda Taylor, and it was the Chicago Tribune, not the GOP politician, who dubbed her the “welfare queen.” It was the Tribune, too, that lavished attention on Taylor’s jewelry, furs, and Cadillac—all of which were real.

:::::::::::::::::::

In late September 1974, seven weeks after Sherwin met Taylor for the second time, the detective’s findings made the Chicago Tribune. “Linda Taylor received Illinois welfare checks and food stamps, even tho[ugh] she was driving three 1974 autos—a Cadillac, a Lincoln, and a Chevrolet station wagon—claimed to own four South Side buildings, and was about to leave for a vacation in Hawaii,” wrote Pulitzer Prize winner George Bliss. The story detailed a 14-page report that Sherwin had put together illuminating “a lifestyle of false identities that seemed calculated to confuse our computerized, credit-oriented society.” There was evidence that the 47-year-old Taylor had used three Social Security cards, 27 names, 31 addresses, and 25 phone numbers to fuel her mischief, not to mention 30 different wigs.

As the Tribune and other outlets stayed on the story, those figures continued to rise. Reporters noted that Linda Taylor had used as many as 80 names, and that she’d received at least $150,000—in illicit welfare cash, the numbers that Ronald Reagan would cite on the campaign trail in 1976. (Though she used dozens of different identities, I’ve chosen to call her Linda Taylor in this story, as it’s how the public came to know her at the height of her infamy.) Taylor also gained a reputation as a master of disguise. "She is black, but is able to pass herself off as Spanish, Filipino, white, and black," the executive director of Illinois’ Legislative Advisory Committee on Public Aid told the Associated Press in November 1974. "And it appears she can be any age she wishes, from the early 20s to the early 50s.”

Reagan and the CIA were arming and funding terrorist groups in Afghanistan to be proxy soldiers against the Soviets.

For years I've been hearing the Left caterwaul that Reagan lied about the "Welfare Queen".

Turns out he didn't lie.... At least not the way that the Liberals meant he did. It seems that he minimized the crimes.

Linda Taylor, welfare queen: Ronald Reagan made her a notorious American villain. Linda Taylor?s other sins were far worse.

Ronald Reagan loved to tell stories. When he ran for president in 1976, many of Reagan’s anecdotes converged on a single point: The welfare state is broken, and I’m the man to fix it. On the trail, the Republican candidate told a tale about a fancy public housing complex with a gym and a swimming pool. There was also someone in California, he’d explain incredulously, who supported herself with food stamps while learning the art of witchcraft. And in stump speech after stump speech, Reagan regaled his supporters with the story of an Illinois woman whose feats of deception were too amazing to be believed.

“In Chicago, they found a woman who holds the record,” the former California governor declared at a campaign rally in January 1976. “She used 80 names, 30 addresses, 15 telephone numbers to collect food stamps, Social Security, veterans’ benefits for four nonexistent deceased veteran husbands, as well as welfare. Her tax-free cash income alone has been running $150,000 a year.” As soon as he quoted that dollar amount, the crowd gasped.

Four decades later, Reagan’s soliloquies on welfare fraud are often remembered as shameless demagoguery. Many accounts report that Reagan coined the term “welfare queen,” and that this woman in Chicago was a fictional character. In 2007, the New York Times’ Paul Krugman wrote that “the bogus story of the Cadillac-driving welfare queen [was] a gross exaggeration of a minor case of welfare fraud.” MSNBC’s Chris Matthews says the whole thing is racist malarkey—a coded reference to black indolence and criminality designed to appeal to working-class whites.

Though Reagan was known to stretch the truth, he did not invent that woman in Chicago. Her name was Linda Taylor, and it was the Chicago Tribune, not the GOP politician, who dubbed her the “welfare queen.” It was the Tribune, too, that lavished attention on Taylor’s jewelry, furs, and Cadillac—all of which were real.

In late September 1974, seven weeks after Sherwin met Taylor for the second time, the detective’s findings made the Chicago Tribune. “Linda Taylor received Illinois welfare checks and food stamps, even tho[ugh] she was driving three 1974 autos—a Cadillac, a Lincoln, and a Chevrolet station wagon—claimed to own four South Side buildings, and was about to leave for a vacation in Hawaii,” wrote Pulitzer Prize winner George Bliss. The story detailed a 14-page report that Sherwin had put together illuminating “a lifestyle of false identities that seemed calculated to confuse our computerized, credit-oriented society.” There was evidence that the 47-year-old Taylor had used three Social Security cards, 27 names, 31 addresses, and 25 phone numbers to fuel her mischief, not to mention 30 different wigs.

As the Tribune and other outlets stayed on the story, those figures continued to rise. Reporters noted that Linda Taylor had used as many as 80 names, and that she’d received at least $150,000—in illicit welfare cash, the numbers that Ronald Reagan would cite on the campaign trail in 1976. (Though she used dozens of different identities, I’ve chosen to call her Linda Taylor in this story, as it’s how the public came to know her at the height of her infamy.) Taylor also gained a reputation as a master of disguise. "She is black, but is able to pass herself off as Spanish, Filipino, white, and black," the executive director of Illinois’ Legislative Advisory Committee on Public Aid told the Associated Press in November 1974. "And it appears she can be any age she wishes, from the early 20s to the early 50s.”

AND GUESS what Reagan did that is JUST AS BAD as the liberals/democrats/progressives do???

HE took an Isolated, exceptional, NOT the rule anecdotal situation and made it sound like EVERY WELFARE case is like it!

He was wrong to do that just as these idiots who want more gun laws all because 8 people a year are killed in multiple massacres since 1980s!
ANECDOTAL stories make good press BUT are NOT THE RULE!

Reagan using this story as a RULE is what has got us in to this really bad mess that everytime we have ONE person who couldn't get insurance cause
they smoked... TEAR DOWN ALL our insurance programs! That's what has happened!
WE hear all these sob stories...ALL ANECDOTAL! ALL EXCEPTIONS not the RULE!

If we totally operated our society on protecting EVERY SINGLE person from womb to tomb.. NO MORE ADVANCEMENTS!!!
Our civilization is doomed by idiots that make the EXCEPTION the RULE!
Take some time folks... watch your local media... see how if it bleeds it leads.. WE legislate for the exception AND NOT the rule!

AND GUESS what Reagan did that is JUST AS BAD as the liberals/democrats/progressives do???

HE took an Isolated, exceptional, NOT the rule anecdotal situation and made it sound like EVERY WELFARE case is like it!

He was wrong to do that just as these idiots who want more gun laws all because 8 people a year are killed in multiple massacres since 1980s!

Reagan using this story as a RULE is what has got us in to this really bad mess that everytime we have ONE person who couldn't get insurance cause

If we totally operated our society on protecting EVERY SINGLE person from womb to tomb.. NO MORE ADVANCEMENTS!!!
Take some time folks... watch your local media... see how if it bleeds it leads.. WE legislate for the exception AND NOT the rule!

The difference is welfare isn't a Constitutional right, its a privilege paid for by taxpayers, and angry taxpayers have the right to take that away.

But apparently you're to stupid to know the difference.

Here's her picture. Linda Taylor is her name. The chick was living large on all of us. I guess you'd call it stealing. She even has her own wiki entry. Linda Taylor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WelfareQueen-HERO-Tinted.jpg.CROP.fresca-xlarge.jpg

The difference is welfare isn't a Constitutional right, its a privilege paid for by taxpayers, and angry taxpayers have the right to take that away.

But apparently you're to stupid to know the difference.

Where did I say I it was a right?

MY whole point you dummy is Reagan who I consider one of the GREATEST Presidents however did in this example JUST like the Democrats/liberals do ALMOST all the time..
i.e. took an EXCEPTION and made it sound like it happens ALL the time and for ALL people on welfare... which isn't true!

Democrats and their ilk have do this almost all the time!
How many photos of Obama with those poor people who couldn't get health insurance?
What about his total lie about his mom NOT getting health insurance? AGAIN taking the exception and MAKING IT sound like it happens ALL the time!
MY point if it went way over your head is .. we have got to stop governing for the EXCEPTIONAL situation!

As I said look at Obama's examples!
LOOK at every speech made by most democrats... they have to haul out an individual example of the PROBLEM.. when that's exactly what it is AN EXAMPLE of an EXCEPTION!

In a May 8, 2010 radio address, Obama claimed that one carrier was “systematically dropping the coverage of women diagnosed with breast cancer.”
The CEO of Wellpoint, which had reason to believe the president was referring to her company,
responded that they had provided coverage in the previous year to 200,000 breast-cancer patients and
had canceled just four policies for fraud or misrepresentation.

The Lies that Sold Obamacare | National Review Online

4 EXCEPTIONS out of 200,000 patients!

Again THE FACT that 2/10ths of ONE percent was USED AS THE RULE by Obama is what I'm saying!
WE have to stop Legislating For the EXCEPTION!

The problem was Taylor was a kidnapper, a murderer and a grifter, and the thing you conservatards want to concentrate on was "She cheated the welfare system".

Come to think of it, so did Conservative Hero, David Koresh.

The problem was Taylor was a kidnapper, a murderer and a grifter, and the thing you conservatards want to concentrate on was "She cheated the welfare system".

WTF? David Koresh is a Conservative Hero? The pedophile who killed a bunch of people? Joey where do you get this stuff from? :cuckoo:

WTF? David Koresh is a Conservative Hero? The pedophile who killed a bunch of people? Joey where do you get this stuff from? :cuckoo:

From all the wingnuts who over the years blamed Janet Reno for the fire and insisted on no less than THREE investigations into it.

Of course Koresh was a Conservative hero. He had lots of guns and a batshit crazy religion.... All he really needed was a reality TV Show.

Last edited:
She was a hardened criminal.

That her real crimes were ignored to make the narrative of a welfare queen seem real is obvious.

She was a hardened criminal.

That her real crimes were ignored to make the narrative of a welfare queen seem real is obvious.

NO one disputes that!

My comment is she was used as an EXAMPLE by Reagan and should have been couched in that term that NOT all welfare people are like her!

And what I am trying to share is when people like Reagan (Who again I consider one of the GREATEST Presidents in my life time) and more often then not
the democrats do is drag out these EXCEPTIONS and make it sound like they are the RULE!

I'm signing it for 11-year-old Marcelas Owens, who's also here. (Applause.) Marcelas -- Marcelas -- (applause continues) -- Marcelas lost his mom to an illness, and she didn't have insurance and couldn't afford the care that she needed. So in her memory, he has told her story across America so that no other children have to go through what his family's experienced. (Applause.)

I'm signing it for Natoma Canfield. Natoma had to give up her health coverage after her rates were jacked up by more than 40 percent. She was terrified that an illness would mean she'd lose the house that her parents built. So she gave up her insurance, and now she's lying in a hospital bed as we speak, faced with just such an illness, praying that she can somehow afford to get well without insurance.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/us/politics/24health-text.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

EXCEPTIONS both.. NOT THE RULE!
Yet ACA came about because idiots believed this was the way it happens all the time!

If it did idiots...
WHY do health insurance companies on average spend 80% of the health insurance premiums FOR CLAIMS???
In 2012 over $546,776,084,351 in premiums were collected at 80% spent on claims that means $437 Billion a year.
Folks If insurance companies spent almost $500 billion a year on health CLAIMS someone was being covered!!!

http://www.naic.org/state_report_cards/report_card_us.pdf

Reagan and the CIA were arming and funding terrorist groups in Afghanistan to be proxy soldiers against the Soviets.
A program started by Carter. After the invasion of Afghanistan, Zbigniew Brezhinsky, Carter NSA, famously Said, now we will give them their own Vietnam." Regardless, it is a hackneyed mantra since these groups included those who joined the US in overthrowing the Taliban and included neither the Taliban nor Al Queda.

Can people remain eternally ignorant because they saw something posted on a website?

Forum List

Back