Reading that opens the mind - Books

What is Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance about?

A father and son journey to a kinda enlightenment. Read it.

“You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They know it's going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

I should do a new thread on topic but for now I'll leave this important book here. Sarah tell it like it is.

"No one saw it coming,” but what they mean is that they consider the people who saw it coming to be no one. The category of “no one” includes the people smeared by Trump in his propaganda: immigrants, black Americans, Muslim Americans, Native Americans, Latino Americans, LGBT Americans, disabled Americans, and others long maligned and marginalized—groups for whom legally sanctioned American autocracy was not an unfathomable horror, but a personal backstory." Sarah Kendzior

'Hiding in Plain Sight: The Invention of Donald Trump and the Erosion of America'

I should do a new thread on topic but for now I'll leave this important book here. Sarah tell it like it is.

"No one saw it coming,” but what they mean is that they consider the people who saw it coming to be no one. The category of “no one” includes the people smeared by Trump in his propaganda: immigrants, black Americans, Muslim Americans, Native Americans, Latino Americans, LGBT Americans, disabled Americans, and others long maligned and marginalized—groups for whom legally sanctioned American autocracy was not an unfathomable horror, but a personal backstory." Sarah Kendzior

'Hiding in Plain Sight: The Invention of Donald Trump and the Erosion of America'

the erosion of America started long before trump....

Readings for those who like to think.

'To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves.'

"The Law" by Friedrich Bastiat......"The Road to Serfdom," by Friedrich Hayek..........anything by Thomas Sowell....

For the readers, the thinkers, those who steer their boat and don't look to false gods for leadership.

'The Cult of Trump: A Leading Cult Expert Explains How the President Uses Mind Control' Steven Hassan

'The Big Cheat: How Donald Trump Fleeced America and Enriched Himself and His Family'

Pulitzer Prize–winning reporter and dean of Trumpologists David Cay Johnston reveals years of eye-popping financial misdeeds by Donald Trump and his family.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

For those who think and do not follow, books.

P.J. O’Rourke wrote this was the 'this is the strangest book of note I have ever read...' I agree, read and check out book linked at bottom and learn and puzzled too.

'This Is Not Propaganda: Adventures in the War Against Reality' by Peter Pomerantsev

And check out 'Nothing is True and Everything is Possible'.

Book linked below is an amazing read. You see how and why our presidential succession works and why Trump imitating Putin wanted to deny it. Hopefully America can kept it storm in spite of republicans kowtowing to oligarchs and Trump.

'Succession plans protect nations. Putin and Xi just threw theirs out.'

'The Road to Unfreedom Russia, Europe, America' Timothy Snyder

Just started this book and it is fascinating as it deals with the rise of authoritarianism in the world.

"Twilight of Democracy tries to deconstruct the psychology and motivation of such people. For some it is the chance to be noticed; for others, it is revenge for slights. Applebaum moves on to Laura Ingraham, another former acquaintance, who has become host of a certain type of US political chat show. "She has, like so many others in the Fox universe, depicted illegal immigrants as thieves and murderers, despite overwhelming evidence that immigrants commit fewer crimes overall than native-born Americans."

'Twilight of Democracy' by Anne Applebaum

Came across this author reading 'Twilight of Democracy' by Anne Applebaum, an excellent read which covers Europe and Brexit among other topics. Authoritarians, like Trump, appeal to the weak who see evil around every corner. MAGA was just a cry for a past that never existed, if you looked at it closely you'd wonder at its appeal. It is nostalgia for an imaginary nirvana. Author below covers that topic too: Nostalgia for an imaginary past.

"Democracy is in decline. Over half of the world's population now lives under some form of authoritarian rule. Wherever democracy deteriorates, so does support for transparency and accountability. Disinformation about current events thrives, as do versions of history that cover up authoritarian crimes."

'Strongmen Mussolini to the Present' 'What modern authoritarian leaders have in common (and how they can be stopped).'

Ruth Ben-Ghiat: 'Any society can be susceptible to strongman figures if it's the right time.'

Repost: What is fascinating about Trump love, is it repeats itself so often throughout history. You see it with Mussolini or Hitler or Stalin or any other authoritarian leader. They are the outsider trying to make things right, often misunderstood, they want to make their nation great again. And people follow and buy into it during times of change. Some people are so easily led, just point, just blame, and the authoritarian will led you back to safety.

'Any society can be susceptible to strongman figures if it's the right time.'

This is a brilliant book as it covers the complexity of politics today throughout the world and does so in detail with numerous references.
I bought the book but it is available online for those who want to understand the times we live in. Read it and understand today's politics and the dangers it poses for freedom.

'Cultural Backlash: Trump, Brexit and Authoritarian-Populism'

Chapter 10 Trump’s America

Chapter 10 sgl.pdf 10 sgl.pdf

Chapter 1 'Understanding populism'

'Chapter 3 Varieties of populism'

I have finally come to understand QAnon. For now I'll just say it is about change. Not being a conspiracy fan - I feel conspiracy is right in the open and understandable. Q was a bit of a puzzle though. More readings for those who want to know and understand the whys.

"Trump's rise to power was no aberration in American history and that the political project of Trumpism is still very much alive. The full title is "The Cruelty Is The Point: The Past, Present And Future Of Trump's America.""

'Adam Serwer On New Book: 'The Cruelty Is The Point' In Trump's America'

'The Storm Is Upon Us: How QAnon Became a Movement, Cult, and Conspiracy Theory of Everything' Mike Rothschild - great read

How To Academy Podcast | Mike Rothschild - The Rise of QAnon

And: QAnon | Meaning, Beliefs, & Conspiracy Theory

'QAnon: What is it and where did it come from?'

QAnon: What is it and where did it come from?

"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead." Benjamin Franklin

Religion in America today is not Christlike, it seems too concerned with politics and control. Think only of how they cry over the unborn but care little for the born. The book below tell you the whys from a man who lived it. Highly recommended in these times when religion wants to control politics and America.

'Testimony: Inside the evangelical movement that failed a generation'

'Jon Ward’s life is divided in half: two decades inside the evangelical Christian bubble and two decades outside of it.

“A work of raw honesty and deep insight.” Kristin Kobes Du Mez, New York Times best-selling author of Jesus and John Wayne

"Jon Ward’s honest, meditative, and beautifully written memoir shines a bright light on the often-obscured links between religion and politics in America." Yuval Levin

"Hawley identifies the defining strengths of men, including responsibility, bravery, fidelity, and leadership."

Society sure could use more men with these virtues.

Forum List

Back