Ranking Member

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
I would like to know if the Term " Ranking Member" has EVER been used by CNN or MSNBC for a Republican member of Congress.

Before 1997 it was not used as far as I recall and I do not watch these channels ( or any TV news) so not aware of it being used after the loss of the Congress to the Democrats.

Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

Never heard it before. In what context is it being used? I used to watch CNN when I had cable but never heard it used. It sounds quite odd.

Anyway I just hope they don't employ a newsreader with a lisp as in Michael Palin's character in The Life of Bwian.

Never heard it before. In what context is it being used? I used to watch CNN when I had cable but never heard it used. It sounds quite odd.

Anyway I just hope they don't employ a newsreader with a lisp as in Michael Palin's character in The Life of Bwian.

On the programs that are not pure news but rather the talking head programs, where they invite so and so to talk about some topic. Before the Republicans took over Congress these programs would have Committee Chairman so and so ( democrat) and Republican whatsisname. After the Dems lost and it was Republican leadership on all committees they began using the term for the senior Democrat on the committee, It was then Ranking Member ( democrat) soandso and still Republican whatsisname.

In other words they continued to invite the senior democrat and some no name republican for their programs.

Why do I bring it up? Because Shogun wants to play games in another thread about how CNN and MSNBC are not biased and hire Conservatives for some programs. He can not and will not provide one shred of evidence that the NEWS is biased on Fox and wants to switch it to the entertainment and talking head programs. When faced with this question he did his usual cut and run and refused to answer the question.

Further I asked for all those big Conservatives hired by CNN and MSNBC BEFORE Fox grabbed all the ratings and have forced them to hire them in an attempt to compete ( for reference Fox has been around like 11 years now.)

I would like to know if the Term " Ranking Member" has EVER been used by CNN or MSNBC for a Republican member of Congress.

Before 1997 it was not used as far as I recall and I do not watch these channels ( or any TV news) so not aware of it being used after the loss of the Congress to the Democrats.

Please enlighten me if I am wrong.

Yup, it has been used for Congressman Duncan Hunter when talking about his position on the Armed Services Comittee.

On the programs that are not pure news but rather the talking head programs, where they invite so and so to talk about some topic. Before the Republicans took over Congress these programs would have Committee Chairman so and so ( democrat) and Republican whatsisname. After the Dems lost and it was Republican leadership on all committees they began using the term for the senior Democrat on the committee, It was then Ranking Member ( democrat) soandso and still Republican whatsisname.

In other words they continued to invite the senior democrat and some no name republican for their programs.

Why do I bring it up? Because Shogun wants to play games in another thread about how CNN and MSNBC are not biased and hire Conservatives for some programs. He can not and will not provide one shred of evidence that the NEWS is biased on Fox and wants to switch it to the entertainment and talking head programs. When faced with this question he did his usual cut and run and refused to answer the question.

Further I asked for all those big Conservatives hired by CNN and MSNBC BEFORE Fox grabbed all the ratings and have forced them to hire them in an attempt to compete ( for reference Fox has been around like 11 years now.)

Ah, so the "ranking" term is a sort of seniority tag?

Ah, so the "ranking" term is a sort of seniority tag?

Yes, its a term that has been used for a long time, for the lead member of the minority party, on the various congressional committees.

In most cases they are refered to as "ranking member", although there's a couple committes that are structured such that the minority party leader in that committee is refered to as "co-chairman". I think the intelligence committee, for one.

I don't recall the two networks in question using the term BEFORE 1997...

a tempest in a teapot.

HOLY SHIT!

not using the term "ranking member" is an obvious link to george soros!

what particularly savvy sleuthing you guys do...

:rofl:

move on over, Prof Moriarty!

You know, RGS.. you really shouldn't drag me into threads when you totally fail to face the points I keep throwing at you like yard darts in the thread you refer to. I would remind you of the specific questions you refuse to answer about fox news but you'd accuse me of hijacking a thread so perhaps you can mozy on back over to the original and stop hopping around like a flea on a dogs nuts.

Yes, its a term that has been used for a long time, for the lead member of the minority party, on the various congressional committees.

In most cases they are refered to as "ranking member", although there's a couple committes that are structured such that the minority party leader in that committee is refered to as "co-chairman". I think the intelligence committee, for one.

Thanks DCD - I was totally mystified about the term and its application.

Thanks DCD - I was totally mystified about the term and its application.

Except for that little fact that until the Democrats were no longer in power the term was NOT used at CNN or MSNBC or for that matter any network. Prior to 1997 republicans were NEVER referred to as ranking members by these networks.

Now I suppose one could argue that the networks never invited the "ranking" republicans to these programs, but that then would beg the question, why not? And why after the dems lost power they continued to be invited and not the new chairmen of said committees?

RSG, stop deflecting the subject or admit defeat to Shogun and myself. Proving that other networks are biased does not defend your claim of Fox being unbiased. I would expect this type of argument from a child, not an adult.

RSG, stop deflecting the subject or admit defeat to Shogun and myself. Proving that other networks are biased does not defend your claim of Fox being unbiased. I would expect this type of argument from a child, not an adult.

When you manage to provide one shred of evidence that Fox NEWS is biased I will believe you. until then all Shogun is doing is claiming that entertainment programs are biased. And I have shown that prior to Fox network the same was true of his pet favorites CNN and MSNBC.

Now provide a shred of evidence that before the democrats lost the Congress in 1997 that CNN or MSNBC used that term for republicans.

Or as you well know your little link means nothing since I already knew what the TERM means.

Sorry, I'm not wasting my time reading manuscripts from CNN commentary. I have things to do and people to see.

By the way, why even make a thread over this? The only purpose possible would be to distract from the fact that you basically admitted in another thread that Faux news is biased, but think you can dodge that fact by diverting the burden of bias to other unrelated networks. I bet you would make a great politician in the deep south.

Sorry, I'm not wasting my time reading manuscripts from CNN commentary. I have things to do and people to see.

By the way, why even make a thread over this? The only purpose possible would be to distract from the fact that you basically admitted in another thread that Faux news is biased, but think you can dodge that fact by diverting the burden of bias to other unrelated networks. I bet you would make a great politician in the deep south.

Lieing won't help you. I am STILL waiting for one shred of evidence that the news programs on Fox are biased. Claiming I said something I didn't won't work moron.

STILL waiting.

Fox is no more or less biased than any other media outlet. Talk about tempest in a teapot, to coin your phrase.;)

that is a matter of opinion.... regarding the level of bias....

but as to the tempest part, you are probably right

Forum List

Back