Rand Paul: Right-to-work laws 'would be great for the country'...will introduce legislation on that this week!

Don't union shops tend to pay more?
Yes, I think so

but if the unions cause many workers to be unemployed thats a bad thing

Right-to-Work does not prevent unions from organizing

but it does give workers the freedom to choose

the japanese recognized the problem and set up factories in southern right to work states and that really hurt the unions

Not entirely true. Honda opened a Scab factory in Ohio, and Toyota opened one in Kentucky (which only became RTW recently)

Plenty of things wrong with unions, Yet right to work laws mean right to pay less wages. Zero balance in how our government is run.

One has to chuckle at the "Libertarian" looking for the Federal government to take over what the states address now.

Ol Rand is really struggling to find a niche.
not all states are dealing with it,, and whats more general welfare than giving all americans the right to work without being extorted???

Giving them a fair wage for for working. A job that doesn’t pay a living wage is useless. Taxpayers should not have to subsidize wages for the working poor. If your company can’t pay living wages it doesn’t deserve to be in business.
what is a fair or living wage??

in my world thats about 75 an hr,,,

A fair wage depends on the job and where you live. A living wage is one that will put a roof over your head and food in your belly and provide basic living expenses.

Wages, as a percentage of income, are now at the same level as they were in the Gilded Age, when the Robber Barons ruled. Over the past 40 years, corporations have absorbed increases in the cost of property, raw materials, insurance, transportation, equipment and supplies. Executive income has increased by 1000% over the same time. And profits are are at a record high. But the buying power of working class income has actually declined during the same timeframe.
and what about a teenager still living at home??

should they be paid what a family if 5 needs to provide a roof and food??

are you also saying business's should pay people based on their family sizes and desired living conditions???

If Musk and Bezo's get billions there is nothing wrong with a teen getting $15 an hour.
The owner of the company takes all the risks, makes all the sacrifices, puts in all the insane hours to get the company up and running. That's a far cry from a teenager coming in after school for a few hours to learn a trade or get some work experience. It's a false comparison. You might as well complain that the janitor in a hospital should be paid more because a heart surgeon gets paid a lot. The company depends on the leadership making sound decisions, it doesn't depend on a teenager working for some weekend spending money.

IOW, you're ignoring the thousands of business owners who not only do NOT get billions, but barely pay themselves a salary in order to keep their company afloat. Musk and Bezo are outliers, NOT the norm.

There is zero risk when the government is giving you billions.

there's something called DEMOCRACY. someone remind Rand!
Right to Work is the essence of democracy

closed union shops are like gulags
Several things:

1. Unions raise low end pay, but they also cap the high end.
2. Unions force workers to accept a contract somebody else negotiated and don't allow workers to negotiate for a better one.
3. Working for a union is not the much different from working directly for a company. You work when they say to work and you don't work when they tell you not to work.

Not entirely true. Honda opened a Scab factory in Ohio, and Toyota opened one in Kentucky (which only became RTW recently)
The japanese are quick learners and most of their operations since then are in RTW states

I noticed as soon as unions got super powerful the Voice of a large pool of patriotic Americans have died off

they moved from urban areas.. where they are needed for culture.

One has to chuckle at the "Libertarian" looking for the Federal government to take over what the states address now.

not all states are dealing with it,, and whats more general welfare than giving all americans the right to work without being extorted???

Giving them a fair wage for for working. A job that doesn’t pay a living wage is useless. Taxpayers should not have to subsidize wages for the working poor. If your company can’t pay living wages it doesn’t deserve to be in business.

A fair wage depends on the job and where you live. A living wage is one that will put a roof over your head and food in your belly and provide basic living expenses.

Wages, as a percentage of income, are now at the same level as they were in the Gilded Age, when the Robber Barons ruled. Over the past 40 years, corporations have absorbed increases in the cost of property, raw materials, insurance, transportation, equipment and supplies. Executive income has increased by 1000% over the same time. And profits are are at a record high. But the buying power of working class income has actually declined during the same timeframe.

are you also saying business's should pay people based on their family sizes and desired living conditions???

If Musk and Bezo's get billions there is nothing wrong with a teen getting $15 an hour.
The owner of the company takes all the risks, makes all the sacrifices, puts in all the insane hours to get the company up and running. That's a far cry from a teenager coming in after school for a few hours to learn a trade or get some work experience. It's a false comparison. You might as well complain that the janitor in a hospital should be paid more because a heart surgeon gets paid a lot. The company depends on the leadership making sound decisions, it doesn't depend on a teenager working for some weekend spending money.

IOW, you're ignoring the thousands of business owners who not only do NOT get billions, but barely pay themselves a salary in order to keep their company afloat. Musk and Bezo are outliers, NOT the norm.

then stop the billions

there's something called DEMOCRACY. someone remind Rand!
Right to Work is the essence of democracy

closed union shops are like gulags

Unions tend to target employers who pay more- the higher the wages, the more they earn. This is why, back in the day, Big Labor looked to dominate well-paying steel mills instead of crappy paying greasy spoon restaurants.

then stop the billions

I'm all for that. Are you granting me the power?

then stop the billions

why would you need my permission??

I've been pushing for it for decades and one of the biggest reasons I dont like or vote for dems or repubes,,

then stop the billions

I've been pushing for it for decades and one of the biggest reasons I dont like or vote for dems or repubes,,

Neither do I. I go a step further though and support those harmed by the practice.

then stop the billions

Neither do I. I go a step further though and support those harmed by the practice.
exactly who and how are you supporting them??

so far you just want to make it worse by expanding government handouts,,,

then stop the billions

By supporting them in programs that offset the harm. Like raising the minimum wage.

then stop the billions

By supporting them in programs that offset the harm. Like raising the minimum wage.
that has nothing to do with government hand outs,, and it also reduces the amount of jobs available,, so in the end what youre doing is hurting the low income worker not helping them,,

then stop the billions

that has nothing to do with government hand outs,, and it also reduces the amount of jobs available,, so in the end what youre doing is hurting the low income worker not helping them,,

I'll be advocating for a basic wage for everyone when the billionaires get rid of the jobs.

then stop the billions

I'll be advocating for a basic wage for everyone when the billionaires get rid of the jobs.
I'm trying to figure out how that makes sense,,

then stop the billions

People have to eat. We can pay them or they can steal it.

then stop the billions

did you know food literally grows right out of the ground?? and in most places does that with little to no help??

and if they do steal it and end up in jail or dead doesnt help them,,

or god forbid they work for it,,,

then stop the billions

did you know food literally grows right out of the ground?? and in most places does that with little to no help??

and if they do steal it and end up in jail or dead doesnt help them,,

or god forbid they work for it,,,

You can pay for their incarceration (thousands of new prisons) or pay them a wage.

You argue the jobs will be gone and then you argue for people to work. Make up your mind.

Forum List

Back