Raising Syrian flag a celebration for Allentown community

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
950x534

Once again, Allentown celebrates the Syrian Independence Day.

"On April 17, 1973, two humble and patriotic men gathered and led a group, marching from St. George Orthodox Church in Allentown to City Hall, carrying the Syrian flag to celebrate their native country's independence. Those two amazing men became pillars in the Syrian-American community; those men were my father, the late Suheil Barber, and his dearest friend, Kamal Abboud.

The following year, Mayor Joseph Daddona recognized the contributions of these men and Syrian-Americans in Allentown, and they began raising the Syrian flag at Allentown City Hall. As a girl, born and bred in Allentown to Syrian parents, I'm proud to call myself an Allentown-Syrian because both have played a role in shaping me. The Allentown Syrians are church-goers, political supporters, taxpayers, business owners, college graduates and professionals.

Raising the Syrian flag is as much about the contributions of the Syrian-American community in Allentown as it is about Syria's independence. It was a tradition that two proud, brave men started with the support of Allentown's leaders. The Syrian flag represents us and says who we are, where we came from and how far we've come. It reminds me of the sacrifices my parents made for us, as did many.

Deanna Barber Baurkot

Easton"

Syrian Independence Day recognized with flag raising - The Morning Call

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Photos: Previous demonstrations

Forum List

Back