Quantum computing

The way memory or cpus are built is by spraying on layers of crystal growing semiconductor liquids, and fixing them we xray lasers.
All microscopic.
Its called lithography.
Instead of a microscope, you can try a cocktail of vodka and psilocybins

There were generally different views on architecture, in those days of Spring of Programming. The model that everyone has now forgotten was considered promising: there is little memory, many processors. This was the real path to parallel computing, as opposed to mythical "quantum computing"

Dynamic typing is awful, slow
This is due to the fact that the type is determined at runtime, and for this you have to climb to the class. In such languages, classes are objects that can be modified at runtime, so a lookup is needed in any case. In Static languages, properties is inlined to procedure, and additional crutches are needed to do this, such as define special classes. This is a dynamic advantage, not a disadvantage. And in fact it is usually optimized. For example JS now is faster than Java.

But in general, dynamic typing means different things. This also means "duck typing", this is actually a different approach.

And the very mixing of duck and dynamic typing in one heap suggests that now the language designers themselves have become idiots.
And in the main, object-oriented programming has degraded since the days of Smalltak and Self, even dynamic, and as for the legacy of Simula, this is not OOP at all, but its profanation.

Dynamic typing is awful, slow, and full of hidden truncation problems.
Computer scientists got abstracted too far away from the machine code, and the system becomes bogged down with "service of process" to handle all those abstract "types" of objects which in reality are nothing but numbers to perform basic arithmetic on, 1s and 0s in binary and nothing else.

Computer scientists got abstracted too far away from the machine code, and the system becomes bogged down with "service of process" to handle all those abstract "types" of objects which in reality are nothing but numbers to perform basic arithmetic on, 1s and 0s in binary and nothing else.
If you think so, then a person is just a collection of biological cells and nothing else. In fact, the basis of programming is precisely abstraction, the opposite is true. This low-level implementation is not very important. Programming is an abstraction from hardware, not the other way around. And languages such as assembler and, moreover, C do not work directly with hardware, this is also a myth. Register mashine is also abstraction. C is generally a high-level language.

If you think so, then a person is just a collection of biological cells and nothing else.
Without spirit there is no life, and that collection of biological cells is nothing but dead meat.

God created man and appointed him his destiny from the beginning of creation, but man did not become a living soul until God formed him from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life.

And the low speed is due not to the dynamics and not the high level of languages, but to poor design, including the primitive and crooked architecture of the hardware itself. In our time, there is no progress at all, because the only thing they are able to do is to increase memory infinitely, and this has the cost of working with memory. The speedup comes down to caching. This acceleration is limited by the memory management system. The more memory, the more time and resources for its maintenance, and this is a vicious circle.

Java has Just In Time compilors, but Python does not, that I know of.
And even if you could compile Python, it would still be over 10 times slower than C, because C can call assembly routines, operating system calls, do fast pointer references instead of lookup tables, shift register operations, etc.
Sorry, but Python is not a sufficient language for speed.
you are right about that. That is why the founders of Google said we will use python where we can C++ where we must. If your app will be getting hundreds of thousands of hits a second like google maps you need the fast run time of C++.

you are right about that. That is why the founders of Google said we will use python where we can C++ where we must. If your app will be getting hundreds of thousands of hits a second like google maps you need the fast run time of C++.
Our app needs to be faster than your app!

If Python was not run time interpreted, there would be absolutely no reason to use it at all.
Precompiled languages like C are vastly superior in all ways.
Runtime interpreters exist for languages like C, and there's no reason you can't optimize and compile a Python program or whatever you write in your favorite language, allocate and fix the types beforehand — do some deallocation, speed up that garbage collection deadlock.

Golang has the fast run time of C++ and the simplicity of python. Check it out.

Off

Off hand there really should be some potential here, what w/ the speed & flexibility. iirc there was even some website w/ access to a quantum computer that anyone online would program it experimentally --but that's where it all kind of grinds to a halt. My take now is that it's a specialized application w/ limited uses. Couple that w/ the gee-whiz factor of something so NEAT that the idea is kept alive but frankly I'm at a loss to see it's everyday need.

For now...
I've been following all the hype about quantum computing for several years now. Even after hearing all the "top" scientists in the field gush about its prospects, I have yet to hear a fully rational, detailed description of how or what this type of computing will provide. Lots of generalities and woo hooing, but no specifics. If one particle changes state, its "companion" particle will follow - now, where exactly is this other particle? How can you predict where it is? In a computer, bits randomly changing state is not a good thing. You've lost all control of the logic. BTSOOM how it's supposed to work. More and more it sounds like Bitcoin and blockchain. Apparently, my mind is too small to comprehend such big concepts. Then again, most of the "top" scientists in the qc field are being funded by grants and keeping the money flowing is the goal, I guess.

Cheers

If you are interested in it check Anastasia Channel. She is a quantum researcher. She knows more than me on the subject.

I've been following all the hype about quantum computing for several years now. Even after hearing all the "top" scientists in the field gush about its prospects, I have yet to hear a fully rational, detailed description of how or what this type of computing will provide. Lots of generalities and woo hooing, but no specifics. If one particle changes state, its "companion" particle will follow - now, where exactly is this other particle? How can you predict where it is? In a computer, bits randomly changing state is not a good thing. You've lost all control of the logic. BTSOOM how it's supposed to work. More and more it sounds like Bitcoin and blockchain. Apparently, my mind is too small to comprehend such big concepts. Then again, most of the "top" scientists in the qc field are being funded by grants and keeping the money flowing is the goal, I guess.

Cheers
It's sounding like ur on to something here, like we've been hearing for years that such&such research team has proven that they can crack some encrypted message w/ a quantum computer, but even after years of r&d we've yet to see some practical manufactured unit that will do what WE want to do.

Reminding me of "cold fusion".

It requires a million quibits to do calculations a conventional computer cannot do. Here is a good lesson from someone in the field.

Forum List

Back