Quantum computing

it seems you are coming up with fairy tales on the go

How so?
All the fast computers are using massive parallelism.
That is also how you use neural nets for Artificial Intelligence.
You speed up computation by off loading onto many other processors and then pick between their return values as to which came up with the best answer.
That is what a neural net is, a tree of parallel processors and the heuristic for collapsing back to a single answer.

This is some kind of blabblah that has no real meaning

I can assure you from decades at Intel, HP, Sequent, IBM, etc., that the reason clock speed is not any faster is heat.

But if you have smaller means of storing a bit, then heat is greatly reduced.

Rigby5 Okay, let's say the quanta can be computer memory. But these pieces of shit fly in a vacuum, so first you need to find a vacuum, then catch these quanta, and then solder them into a microcircuit instead of capacitors, right?

Even lisp now uses compilation and macros instead of interpretation.
The languages being interpreted were very powerful. They could rewrite their own code at runtime

I have not even heard anyone mention Lisp in 30 years.
I hate Lisp.

You do not want to rewrite you own code.

Python is just the modern form of BASIC.
I use it all the time for server side composing html pages to down load to the client web server, but that is all.
And half the time I use PHP instead.
There is nothing I find interesting about Python.

Rigby5 The difference between compiled languages and those that are popularly called "interpreted" is that "compiled" languages are translated at one time and do not require additional compilation at runtime. Real interpreters have been removed from programming for a long time.

It sounds like you are confusing memory with memory management.

No, when you have a program that fills up a hundred meg of memory, that is memory, not memory management.
Memory is the main computer bottleneck.
Memory management is a means of moving large chunks of memory into faster media like cache, but it is still vastly slower the than optimized registers.

All languages are now compiled

Definitely not.
No one compiles Python that I know of.
Java is the only JIT compiler I know of, and that makes Java an even BIGGER memory footprint, and sometimes even slower.
JIT compiling can be extremely slow sometimes.
Compiling ahead of time is always much more optimized and faster.
You have to know that because many programs take many hours to compile.
Trying to do that at run time can not be any faster.

Python is just the modern form of BASIC.
No, they have different semantics. Python is a dynamically typed object-oriented language, and BASIC is a purely imperative language.

Python is the successor to the line of languages descended from Smalltak

Rigby5 Okay, let's say the quanta can be computer memory. But these pieces of shit fly in a vacuum, so first you need to find a vacuum, then catch these quanta, and then solder them into a microcircuit instead of capacitors, right?

We are talking about microscopic components, so quantum computing does not have parts that can be touched.
Crystals and coils are a better description.

Rigby5 The difference between compiled languages and those that are popularly called "interpreted" is that "compiled" languages are translated at one time and do not require additional compilation at runtime. Real interpreters have been removed from programming for a long time.

No, Python is used BECAUSE it is still run time interpreted.
It would be slower to constantly recompile ahead of time while developing, and much too slow to try to compile during run time.
If Python was not run time interpreted, there would be absolutely no reason to use it at all.
Precompiled languages like C are vastly superior in all ways.

No, they have different semantics. Python is a dynamically typed object-oriented language, and BASIC is a purely imperative language.

Python is the successor to the line of languages descended from Smalltak
Dynamic typing is awful, slow, and full of hidden truncation problems.
Object oriented is just a way of breaking up a symbol table into smaller chunks.
No significant difference between Python and BASIC.
For example, they both get bogged down with garbage collection periodically.
That is not necessary with a pre-compiled language, where you control memory yourself.

All languages that are not compiled before execution are JIT-compiled or similar. There are no real interpreters now

Wrong.
JIT compilors are huge and slow.
Only Java uses them, and that is why Java is so huge, slow, and no one likes.
The only advantage of JIT is that you do not have to know the actual processor ahead of time.
But if you do know what the actual processor is, there is absolutely no reason to use JIT or anything other than C/C++.

Real interpreters could do something like this:

fu = procedure {print foo}

replace third word fu (bar)

exec fu -> bar

They changed AST right in the runtime. From the mission control center on the radio, they could rewrite the code of the lunar rover without stopping its execution. These were such powerful languages that modern programmers cannot even imagine such a thing.

Memory is just charges of capacitors, there are no "places", neither narrow nor wide

Memory is currently accomplished by charges in semiconductor crystalline lattice interfaces.
Since the boundry layer is so thin and has so little capacity, I would not characterize it as a capacitor.
A capacitor is intended to hold as much electron capacity as possible, while the point of memory is to use as little electron capacity as possible.

I guess I eat too little acid to understand what you are fucking talking about.
The way memory or cpus are built is by spraying on layers of crystal growing semiconductor liquids, and fixing them we xray lasers.
All microscopic.
Its called lithography.

Real interpreters could do something like this:

fu = procedure {print foo}

replace third word fu (bar)

exec fu -> bar

They changed AST right in the runtime. From the mission control center on the radio, they could rewrite the code of the lunar rover without stopping its execution. These were such powerful languages that modern programmers cannot even imagine such a thing.

Except you never want to do that.

Forum List

Back