Q and A about Democracy

Q. What is the difference between a dictatorship and a democracy?

A. In a dictatorship a dictator uses his power to take away your rights while in a democracy people do the same thing through the voting process.

For the most part, all rights come from law and law is the codified will of the majority. The People give and the People take away as they please.

Epic fail... I guess there were no laws in monarchies, dictatorships, etc??

:rolleyes:

HopeFailure and any other person who feels an Obama led US Government is absolute tyranny tell me what real world governemnt in what real world country is better than an Obama led US government?

I woiuld think if our current governemnt i9s so bad there would be many countries and many governments that are better so name several.

I will trake one, though.

A. In a dictatorship a dictator uses his power to take away your rights while in a democracy people do the same thing through the voting process.

For the most part, all rights come from law and law is the codified will of the majority. The People give and the People take away as they please.

Of course monarchies and autocracies have laws; and, as in democracies, rights are created by the laws.

Try again, dumbass.

Last edited:

Of course monarchies and autocracies have laws; and, as in democracies, rights are created by the laws.

Try again, dumbass.

Dumbass.. it goes against the statement YOU made, as I showed
all rights come from law and law is the codified will of the majority

Try and udnerstand the definition of law and the simple fact that it is not inherent to the 'will of the majority'

Last edited:
What you are saying makes no sense.

Did your mother drop you on your head?

I just don't know the difference between a dictator who takes away your rights and a democratic body that does the same thing. The end result is the same thing.

What country would give you more rights?

I think that a democracy would probably ensure that the majority of people won't be abused by the government but what if the majority didn't care what the minority thought and imposed their will onto them? What if the majority said that free speech should be removed from everyone and they were OK with that but the minority didn't want that? Can you say that their rights were protected by the will of the majority in that situation?

I've pretty much given up on this argument with you people who think like this. It is false but no matter how much we explain this to you you don't seem to want to listen but what makes it worse is that you assume that we have to believe like you. I'm content to let you believe as you believe but let others believe otherwise that rights are a part of our creation while your rights are a part of the government's creation. I'm sorry if you ball and chained yourself to that institution but that doesn't mean other people have to accept that limitation.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
What rights has a democracy removed from you?

I can point out a number of times in history when the majority voted away someone else's rights such as Jim Crow laws. Those were voter majority approved. it was an undemocratic government that undid those against the wishes of the majority of voters who lived in those states.

In fact, the first amendment itself is an affront to the democratic process because if 99% of the people thought that someone's religion should be denied to them then, under a democratic government, that right would be denied to them. The first amendment prevents that from happening so the first amendment could find itself against the will of the people.

Last edited:
The United States is not a democracy, it is a Republic. We elect representatives who vote on behalf of the people from their state or district. If our elected officials don't represent us as we wish, we can vote them out and replace them with someone who will. In a dictatorship, a tyrant rules over all.

The United States is not a democracy, it is a Republic. We elect representatives who vote on behalf of the people from their state or district. If our elected officials don't represent us as we wish, we can vote them out and replace them with someone who will. In a dictatorship, a tyrant rules over all.

:eusa_hand: a rep democracy is still a democracy.

I just don't know the difference between a dictator who takes away your rights and a democratic body that does the same thing. The end result is the same thing.

In a democracy--or should I say the "republic" we live in--we have certain rights--like the freedom of speech. In a dictatorship--you're shot if you openly disagree with the dictator.

"When people fear the government there is tyranny--When government fears the people there is liberty."-- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited:

:eusa_hand: a rep democracy is still a democracy.

We dont live in a democracy antagon. We live in a constitutional republic. Our founders knew that a democracy can stifle liberty hence them not making it one.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on whats for dinner, liberty is a well armed lamb contesting that outcome -benjamin franklin

Correction.

In a dictatorship, you have no rights to begin with.

We used to live in a representative Republic.

We now live in a fascist dictatorship.

Questions?

You'll love the Corporatocracy that we are becoming.

Last edited:
Yes, we are a republic, but we are also a representative democracy. Direct (True) Democracies like Unregulated Capitalism do not exist in any developed country today.

What Is the Difference Between a Republic and a Democracy?

The Birchers used to point out that the Constitution doesn't mention Democracy.
They also thought FDR and Eisenhower were Communists.
And they're back.

Forum List

Back