Protesters Against Cuba-U.S. Plan Gather In Miami

Cuban opposition leaders from the island joined Cuban American politicians and activists on Saturday, pledging to oppose President Barack Obama's plan to normalize relations with the communist nation and disputing the notion that their community is split by a generational divide.

"The opposition will continue fighting, with or without Barack Obama," Cuban activist Jorge Luis Garcia Perez, known by his nickname "Antunez," said to cheers.

The gathering at a Little Havana park drew more than 200 people, largely older Cuban exiles who chanted "Obama, traitor!" and waved U.S. and Cuban flags. Some expressed disappointment that the protest was not larger; the demonstrators filled about half the park.

"The mentality is, 'Hey, we're going to be able to buy Cuban cigars and rum.' Well, it's not a happy thing for us," said Armando Merino, 68, who came to the U.S. at age 14. "I'm here because for the Cuban people, my family in Cuba, they are not able to protest."

The protest featured two high-profile Cuban dissidents: Garcia Perez, who spent 17 years in jail for his activities and has gone on hunger strikes to protest the treatment of political prisoners, and Berta Soler, spokeswoman for the island-based Ladies in White, a group of Cuban mothers and wives of dissidents arrested in the 2003 government crackdown there.

Soler said a normalized relationship between Cuba and the U.S. would "perfect the repressive mechanism of the Cuban government."

I just don’t understand these people. Why are they protesting? What is wrong with relations between two countries getting better? Or do they want the Iraqi scenario instead? And how can the relations with US provoke the repressions?

Yes, it may seem that US is going to give money to the Cuban government, not to the people. But you’ve got to start somewhere. And being friends with the government is a good start. Much better than sabotaging it. When you are friends with some government and give money to it, it’s a leverage to influence the decisions it makes. And if US government does want to help the people of Cuba, that’s one of the civilized ways to do it.

So why are those people protesting?

The Cubans in Miami are mostly those that came after Bastista the Butcher was overthrown. There are three waves of Cubans. They used to be quite powerful up until the demographic change. They want nothing less than overthrow of the government. Which most Americans are gearing up for as well in many different ways. But, because there weren't any stipulations placed on the Cuban government they are pissed.

yes the old gusanos in Miami are pissed

posada-carriles-en-miami-1-580x452.jpg

Last edited:
“So why are those people protesting?”

Because they're afraid of change.

Most have adhered blindly to this failed policy for so long that don't know anything else.

There are also those of bad faith 'protesting,' who support the failed policy toward Cuba for partisan reasons, having nothing to do with what's good for both the American and Cuban people.

Cuban opposition leaders from the island joined Cuban American politicians and activists on Saturday, pledging to oppose President Barack Obama's plan to normalize relations with the communist nation and disputing the notion that their community is split by a generational divide.

"The opposition will continue fighting, with or without Barack Obama," Cuban activist Jorge Luis Garcia Perez, known by his nickname "Antunez," said to cheers.

The gathering at a Little Havana park drew more than 200 people, largely older Cuban exiles who chanted "Obama, traitor!" and waved U.S. and Cuban flags. Some expressed disappointment that the protest was not larger; the demonstrators filled about half the park.

"The mentality is, 'Hey, we're going to be able to buy Cuban cigars and rum.' Well, it's not a happy thing for us," said Armando Merino, 68, who came to the U.S. at age 14. "I'm here because for the Cuban people, my family in Cuba, they are not able to protest."

The protest featured two high-profile Cuban dissidents: Garcia Perez, who spent 17 years in jail for his activities and has gone on hunger strikes to protest the treatment of political prisoners, and Berta Soler, spokeswoman for the island-based Ladies in White, a group of Cuban mothers and wives of dissidents arrested in the 2003 government crackdown there.

Soler said a normalized relationship between Cuba and the U.S. would "perfect the repressive mechanism of the Cuban government."

I just don’t understand these people. Why are they protesting? What is wrong with relations between two countries getting better? Or do they want the Iraqi scenario instead? And how can the relations with US provoke the repressions?

Yes, it may seem that US is going to give money to the Cuban government, not to the people. But you’ve got to start somewhere. And being friends with the government is a good start. Much better than sabotaging it. When you are friends with some government and give money to it, it’s a leverage to influence the decisions it makes. And if US government does want to help the people of Cuba, that’s one of the civilized ways to do it.

So why are those people protesting?

The Cubans in Miami are mostly those that came after Bastista the Butcher was overthrown. There are three waves of Cubans. They used to be quite powerful up until the demographic change. They want nothing less than overthrow of the government. Which most Americans are gearing up for as well in many different ways. But, because there weren't any stipulations placed on the Cuban government they are pissed.

yes the old gusanos in Miami are pissed

posada-carriles-en-miami-1-580x452.jpg

You'll have that, I suppose.

You need to research the tyrannical actions of the Castro brothers since they took power, and the suffering of the Cuban people under the Castro dictatorship.

It is there that you will find your answer.

Really? And what made you think I know nothing about it?
Tell me what... When the USSR opened its borders and established better relations with US, it was good, everybody was glad. Now when the same thing is happening with Cuba... there are protests. What's so bad about Cuba? What's so bad in giving people more freedom, business opportunities, Internet access?

Do you know that in Cuba only certain people can keep US Dollars?

Here's another fact. In Cuba one peso equals one dollar.
But how is it relevant to the discussion?

You need to research the tyrannical actions of the Castro brothers since they took power, and the suffering of the Cuban people under the Castro dictatorship.

Tell me what... When the USSR opened its borders and established better relations with US, it was good, everybody was glad. Now when the same thing is happening with Cuba... there are protests. What's so bad about Cuba? What's so bad in giving people more freedom, business opportunities, Internet access?

You asked a question and I answered.

Apparently you are unaware of the hatred that predominates the Cuban American community for Castro.

I have no problems with opening relations with Cuba. However the criticism some are leveling on BO seems relevant. Did he demand the Castros improve human rights in Cuba?

A key difference might very well be in the fact that we have something to gain when building relations with Russia. There is pretty much nothing to gain in Cuba - they simply are not on the same level that Russia is and was. There is real benefit to the world superpowers trying to get along.

Like gipper pointed out, there are people that hold very deep hatreds of the Cuban government for good reason and I imagine they see normalizing relations as an acceptance that the US has simply given up on any pretense that they want it to change. I personally am fine with the move as we were making zero progress with Cuba for decades. I do not see any value in bothering to continue the policies we had. I understand why some people are upset about it though even if I disagree.

Forum List

Back