Protectionism for call centers

Unnecessary infringement on the free market. Here's the real reason for it:
That's a matter of opinion. Myself and everyone else who wants more jobs in the U.S. disagree with you.

Unfortunately, people like yourself are AGAINST American jobs and you don't even know it. By imposing more government controls and taxes, companies find new ways to operate outside of the US. You're pushing companies away by voting for anti-job politicians and you didn't even know it. :cuckoo:

Please explain how taxing a company for operating outside the U.S. encourages them to operate outside the U.S.

admittedly, this sort of thing is way out of my professional knowledge base, but as somebody who is an independent supplier of on-site technical service for home/office users of windows systems and has to try and communicate with these poorly trained foreigners with only partial fluency in english, i'm glad that the government is going to try and do something to keep those jobs on shore.

invariably when i'm connected to the bangalore or phillipine call centers the big IT companies are using, i waste at least ten minutes trying to make the problem understood before i start insisting they get me back to a domestic call center.

the fee, i don't know enough to comment, but to those of you screaming infringement on free market: that free market is being exploited by huge multinational corporations whose unregulated behavior is wiping out small and medium businesses who lack the resources to compete with their anti-competitive, monopolistic practices.

Small and medium businesses can't compete with their larger competitors because the government has regulated and taxed their industry to the point where only those who are making millions or billions are able to comply and make a profit.

that is not what wiped out my family's sewing factory. it was the giants building automated factories offshore along with unbelievably slow pay practices of the big chain stores that was choking us off.

the killing blow was when the garment worker union came in and attempted to organize our peace work employees --- some of whom were the granddaughters of women who worked for my grandfather.

when the unions gave my father their fait accompli, he pulled the plug himself.

regulations and taxes had nothing to do with it. it was anti-competitive practices of the big corporations and trade unions.

I don't really understand how increasing the cost of having call centers out of the nation is going to result in more call centers being out of the nation, maybe you can explain that one to me.

It's actually quite simple. It will still cost less than having them here.

Our government taxes no one too much.

ass+clown.jpg

Good idea or unnecessary infringement on the free market?

Senator wants disclosure on outsourced calls - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK (Reuters) – In a bid to reduce outsourcing of U.S. jobs, a Democratic senator said on Sunday he will push legislation to make companies inform customers when their calls were being transferred outside the United States and charge companies for those transferred calls.

"This bill will not only serve to maintain call center jobs currently in the United States, but also provide a reason for companies that have already outsourced jobs to bring them back," Senator Charles Schumer said in statement.

Customers calling 800 numbers are often transferred overseas, and in such cases the bill would mandate that callers be told where their calls were rerouted.

Companies would also be required to certify to the Federal Trade Commission annually that they were complying with the requirement, and face penalties if they did not certify.

Schumer's bill would also impose a $0.25 excise tax on any customer service call placed inside the United States which is transferred to an agent in a foreign location. The fee would be assessed on the company that transferred the call.

Excellent idea.

Male it a buck a call though.

Why not $10?

I wonder who will end up paying it, tho. Hmmmm....let me think....

That's a matter of opinion. Myself and everyone else who wants more jobs in the U.S. disagree with you.

Unfortunately, people like yourself are AGAINST American jobs and you don't even know it. By imposing more government controls and taxes, companies find new ways to operate outside of the US. You're pushing companies away by voting for anti-job politicians and you didn't even know it. :cuckoo:

Please explain how taxing a company for operating outside the U.S. encourages them to operate outside the U.S.

:lol: (You would think this is common sense, but I guess common sense is not common.)

If you make it costlier for a US-based business to do business in the US, they'll find even more ways to save money. That includes moving even more operations offshore. Just keep pushing and they'll eventually leave. But that's what people like yourself do. It's really a shame.

:lol: (You would think this is common sense, but I guess common sense is not common.)

If you make it costlier for a US-based business to do business in the US, they'll find even more ways to save money. That includes moving even more operations offshore. Just keep pushing and they'll eventually leave. But that's what people like yourself do. It's really a shame.

If they could save money by sending more operations offshore, why wouldn't they have already done it? You seem to think corporations are actually motivated by spite instead of just profit.

Last edited:

If they could save money by sending more operations offshore, why wouldn't they have already done it? You seem to think corporations are actually motivated by spite instead of just profit.

Spite? That's a good description, but the 'spite' is coming from the government, not the corporations.

Why wouldn't they have already sent more operations offshore? It's not cost-effective. If the government continues to raise the cost of doing business in America, it will be more cost-effective to do business elsewhere. And if they can't save anymore money but want to stay in the US, the cost gets passed on to the consumer.

Thank you big-government!!!!

Unnecessary infringement on the free market. Here's the real reason for it:

an easy way around this is that the calls wouldn't be transferred, just go directly there
problem solved, no tax fees

Spite? That's a good description, but the 'spite' is coming from the government, not the corporations.

Why wouldn't they have already sent more operations offshore? It's not cost-effective. If the government continues to raise the cost of doing business in America, it will be more cost-effective to do business elsewhere. And if they can't save anymore money but want to stay in the US, the cost gets passed on to the consumer.

Someone obviously doesn't understand the call center business. Otherwise, they would realize it's impossible for a call center to service americans without doing business in the US. I guess some people think call centers help american customers by talking to people in India.

Another misconception being tossed around is that a business can just raise prices to pay for any tax increases. That would be true if ALL the call centers were charged this tax However. the article was quite clear in pointing out that this tax only applies to call centers located overseas, and not to US-based call centers. If the foriegn call centers raise their prices to pay the tax, then their US-based competitors will beat them on price because they don't have to pay the tax, so they don't have to raise their rates.

But given all the economic absurdities being expressed here, I'm not surprised that the conservatives ran this country's ecomomy into the ground when they controlled the govt. Conservatives believe that govt doesnt do anything right, and when they get into office, they do everything they can to prove themselves right.

I say good call on both measures, sometimes doing a little to keep jobs stateside isn't a bad thing. I don't see Mexico or India taking any punitive steps because of this!

Good idea or unnecessary infringement on the free market?

Senator wants disclosure on outsourced calls - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK (Reuters) – In a bid to reduce outsourcing of U.S. jobs, a Democratic senator said on Sunday he will push legislation to make companies inform customers when their calls were being transferred outside the United States and charge companies for those transferred calls.

"This bill will not only serve to maintain call center jobs currently in the United States, but also provide a reason for companies that have already outsourced jobs to bring them back," Senator Charles Schumer said in statement.

Customers calling 800 numbers are often transferred overseas, and in such cases the bill would mandate that callers be told where their calls were rerouted.

Companies would also be required to certify to the Federal Trade Commission annually that they were complying with the requirement, and face penalties if they did not certify.

Schumer's bill would also impose a $0.25 excise tax on any customer service call placed inside the United States which is transferred to an agent in a foreign location. The fee would be assessed on the company that transferred the call.

Someone obviously doesn't understand the call center business. Otherwise, they would realize it's impossible for a call center to service americans without doing business in the US. I guess some people think call centers help american customers by talking to people in India.

Another misconception being tossed around is that a business can just raise prices to pay for any tax increases. That would be true if ALL the call centers were charged this tax However. the article was quite clear in pointing out that this tax only applies to call centers located overseas, and not to US-based call centers. If the foriegn call centers raise their prices to pay the tax, then their US-based competitors will beat them on price because they don't have to pay the tax, so they don't have to raise their rates.

But given all the economic absurdities being expressed here, I'm not surprised that the conservatives ran this country's ecomomy into the ground when they controlled the govt. Conservatives believe that govt doesnt do anything right, and when they get into office, they do everything they can to prove themselves right.

Depends on the given industry. If 90% of the businesses involved in a certain industry subcontract to Indian call centers, while the 10% who do not are not a threat to the bigger players, then the .25 cents will almost certainly be passed to their customers.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back