Pros and Cons of Electric Vehicles

Con, EV advocates do not know that most homes can not safely charge an electric vehicle.

A little advice, hire a certified electrician that pulls a permit to install your charger, that way you do not burn down your house killing any innocents that may live inside.

Ha, ha, ha! What is it that you need a link for? That electric vehicles have failed? You provided that link with your Car and Driver article. Not one of those historic, electric cars, are still produced today nor were they mass produced.

I also stated that EV's require individual charging stations, as well as secondary charging stations. You want a link for that as well? I said they are more than simply an outlet. You have just provided the link showing that they are more than an outlet. Your link state the a level 2 charger is needed, 240 volts at 40 amps. That requires an electrician and a permit. It many cases you will need a new circuit breaker box. Not as simple as simply plugging in your toaster. The idea that the cost, to obtain a permit, install a new electrical service for the additional 40 amps, and run the dedicated outlet is only $250 is pure wishful thinking. As your article states, "many factors make can make this estimate more expensive".

I stated that electric vehicles are subsidized as well. That is common knowledge, you need a source or it is not true? Ha, ha, ha, how about provided a source that shows you breath and have a brain, a source that proves you have a brain. It has to mention you by name, if you can not do that, you do not have a brain, do you.

You think if I do not source my facts to the democrat biased google I lose? Such a simpleton, ignorant demand that has no basis on what one posts. All that shows is outside of google searches you do not know enough about this subject to debate it's pro and cons.

google and source all you want, big deal, it only proves your ignorance, not your knowledge
LOL. As I predicted, no links to back up your beliefs. Trumptards are so predictable, it's not even funny. Thanks for proving me right.

yep, i am a big dummy, charging stations can plug into NEMA 14-50 outlets, how about taking a pic of your NEMA 14-50 outlet, in your garage, or even in your house, i am so dumb I am willing to state, your house does not have a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Most homes do not have a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

EV charging stations should be hard wired, for safety and efficiency. Anybody recommending plugging an EV into the dryer plug, is irresponsible. Older homes do not have a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Homes newer than the year 2000 are required to be in compliance with the new electrical standard.

Do you want links to those facts, ha, ha, ha!
And, still no links. But at least you acknowledge that you are a dummy. There is hope for you yet. Now, fuck off. I wasted too much of my time with a dummy.

And, still no links. But at least you acknowledge that you are a dummy. There is hope for you yet. Now, fuck off. I wasted too much of my time with a dummy.
links proved you were wrong, I challenged you to provide a picture of your NEMA 14-50 outlet that you claim one can easily plug into. Where is that pic??? You make a suggestion, you think you back that up with a google link that confirms your opinion, but when challenged to show this "common" outlet. You can not.

You also provided a link that showed many failed models from many failed manufactures of electric cars from 1830. You have proved that over 190 years and billions of dollars in subsidies, electric cars have failed and will continue to fail. Thank you for that link.

Yes, I am the dummy, yet you are the one that made a claim that even your link does not prove. A picture of your simple NEMA 14-50 outlet. Where is it? And as far as plugging your EV into the same outlet as your toaster, that will take at least 24 hours to charge an Electric Vehicle.

And, if we can go one further, without links, and let us be serious, only an idiot with no knowledge needs a link, I will make one more statement, there are not enough electric cars nor will there ever be enough for everyone to own one. I doubt that 5% of the population will ever own one. Care to providie a link that shows that to be incorrect? HA, ha, ha, ha, only the ignorant need links. Only the idiots without common sense need links. So show us how smart your google search is, idiot!

Con, using 110 volts to charge an EV would take 50 hours to charge to 100 miles range.

Link??? No thanks, it is a fact that can not be disputed. This is not a card game where you draw, from google.

I look at it this way: high performing internal combustion engines are HARD to do, they are a matter of mechanical and electronic wizardry-- -- -- but every battery operated car I had as a kid was a throwaway.. .. .. they worked great when you first got them but the batteries were always quitting or dying and eventually the whole thing goes dead and you throw it away.

I used to own a mid sized truck (Dodge Dakota) and where I enjoyed it...it was annoying for when I needed to tow boats or trailers...it just didn't have enough to it to do it well...
Now that I drive a full sized truck....it does these things much better and the mileage I get is roughly the same as the mid size used to.

So...I really don't mind the electric tech....but the whole battery-charging thing and complicated controls kill it for me. The size is just another reason I'm not a fan.

I want a truck as a work truck...it's going to be beat on and used like a borrowed mule. It's not for "looking pretty". It's for hauling tools, equipment and materials to a job site.

Realistically, would you charge one vehicle from a house? What about two adults with two teenagers = four electric cars. I know I know, not all four will be plugged in, but you have to design your electrics that that might be the case. I asked my son, who's an electrician -

"They're usually 32A, most actually being plug and play. Volvo included in the price of an electric vehicle will foot the cost of a spark fitting an outside socket for it. But they're quite shit. 8 hour charge will give about 40 miles range.

Car charging points are radials direct from the DB, so will be 20A. Because there's nothing else on the circuit there's near no voltage drop or reduction in amps so they give a much faster charge.

So to answer your question, if all 4 cars were on individual chargers, yes but that's 80A out of 100 and you're meant to leave 10% clear, so you could have all 4 charging and your kitchen light on, that's it.

If they were all plug and play, given that nothing else on the ring is on, shouldn't trip. But realistically would cause problems.

A house that just wants one charging point would be fine. If a customer wanted 4 points with a 100A supply I'd be reluctant. However generally if a customer has the money for 4 charging points and 4 EV's, they can foot the bill for a new 3-phase supply, giving them 3x 80A - 120A supply's"

Basically, the infrastructure, even the current set up in your home is poor.

I have two properties, one has a driveway and a garage so charging a car would be no issue. At the other property, I have to park on the other side of the road, no drive or garage. Do I want to buy a kettle and not be able to plug it in at home?

And what happens if on that rare occasion all four cars need charged and drive can accommodate two cars? An ICE vehicle can be parked anywhere, an EV needs it's specific parking space beside an electrical socket.

My houses are 35 miles apart, so an EV Volvo is of no use.

Will I buy an EV? I'm in my 50's so that's a no. The cons outweigh the pros.

8 hour charge will give about 40 miles range.
Park & building maintenance vehicles for corporate campus or headquarters, company logos painted on them. — there's a big corporation that chooses electric vehicles for a certain situation, the vehicles are crippled on purpose, the CFO or comptroller doesn't want to let any of the corporation's assets loose on the highways with a full tank of gas, what with all the grand theft and title laundering that goes on.

They are expensive (initial cost not upkeep) and cannot do the travel I need to do. That is the case for most people. My daily driving can be done with one but when I want to go cross country - something I do every year - they are simply not practical. When the infrastructure for chargers gets there and battery tech allows for that I will adopt in a heart beat.

The idea that 'bigotry' is holding them back is asinine. For every person that rejects an electric car for asinine reasons there are a hundred others just like me that would buy one if it were practical.
By 2025, they will cost less than a comparable ICE vehicle. And the range is also increasing on an almost yearly basis. The tri-motor cyber truck is supposed to have a range of over 500 miles.

By 2025, they will cost less than a comparable ICE vehicle. And the range is also increasing on an almost yearly basis. The tri-motor cyber truck is supposed to have a range of over 500 miles.
What about the time and money to charge it back up again? The whores pressing sex charges against some guy at the gas station who needs a full charge before he can take off again? Or maybe it's a girl driving and she has to take it to a shop to get it repaired and take off before the auto mechanic forces her in bed.

And 500 miles is simply not sufficient without proper infrastructure in place to utilize.

I doubt they are going to be cheaper than an ICE vehicle in 4 years, we are not that close and the infrastructure required is essentially nonexistent.

This guy has owned a brand new Tesla S since 2013, and shares his thoughts. I'll cut and paste part of what he writes about.

As far as cons, there are only two. First, charging times are still a little long when on a road trip. Sure, after driving for 3+ hours, I’m ready to stop, go to the bathroom, and maybe get something to eat. In the time it takes to do all those things, I can charge up for another 3+ hours of travel. However, if I’m in a huge hurry and want to just stop, pee, and get something from a drive-thru, the charging time will frustrate that. But charging times are dropping swiftly. Today, there are 800V cars available that will charge from 10% battery to 80% in about 15 minutes. That is not going to add substantially to the time it takes to travel long distances. Even now, the record for an EV traveling coast-to-coast across the US is under 44.5 hours. Granted, that’s a full 17 hours or so longer than the gas-powered record, but that was set using a specially prepped car with extra gas tanks and travelling at hyperlegal speeds topping 130mph in places. So probably not a reasonable comparison. Safe to say, even today, you can get anywhere you need to be in the continental US in a reasonable amount of time in an EV. But, as mentioned, we will need to keep expanding EV charging infrastructure if we’re going to keep up with consumer demand.

The second con of having an EV is dealing with bigotry, especially from those who fear change. Video of diesel pickup trucks maliciously coal-rolling electric-car drivers are easy to find. Some self-proclaimed “car guys” proudly proclaim they’ll never own an EV because they somehow believe that an exhaust note is awesome. Sadly, they don’t realize that that noise is just wasted energy. Why they would prefer converting the gas they’re burning into noise and heat instead of torque and horsepower escapes me, but they apparently can’t let go of the historical characteristics of performance cars. That’s despite the fact that the quickest (0–60 mph) production car in history is now an electric car or that the record-holder for the quickest sprint up Pike’s Peak is also an electric car. The future is electric, but some are resistant to let the past go.

View attachment 523945
Tesla charging stations

View attachment 523946
There is the RAHT Racer, which is a cool pedal electric vehicle. It needs to be made to be more visible at night. It is black at this point in time.

And 500 miles is simply not sufficient without proper infrastructure in place to utilize.

I doubt they are going to be cheaper than an ICE vehicle in 4 years, we are not that close and the infrastructure required is essentially nonexistent.
Tests, away from manufacturers and guesses, always show that actual achieved mileage is always less than stated. They also recommend only charging to 80% capacity, and to a maximum 90%.

Then air con, heaters, towing, start stopping etc.. are never included in the tests. If they don't try to make them sound good, no one would buy them.

My brother was given an electric works van. No weight in the back, he drove 80 miles and 80 miles back. He said doing 70mph on the motorway kills the batteries, just over 10% left. Then he had to plug in as soon as he got back to squeeze enough in the battery for the next day. And guess what? The rail firm went back to diesel after the years trial.

If you're an office worker, in a mild climate, no real distance to travel, can plug in at home etc.. they're probably a great toy to have.

There's a saying, "A fool and their money are soon parted", and the foolish do love them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind an electric car really, but there is no place to plug one in around here.

Aside from that.........

*Electric vehicles are fugly as hell
*Electric vehicles require huge amounts of energy that can overload city power grids
*Those power grids are kept humming with electricity manufactured by a majority of gas, coal, and oil plants
*Vehicle batteries are 1,000 times more toxic to the environment than old gas engines
*A burning electric vehicle is completely flammable - even the frame, and is again 1,000 times more toxic to the environment than a old gas vehicle thats on fire
*Electric vehicles should be self recharging as they drive, but they are not
*Electric vehicles take 2 - 12 hours to "refuel" or recharge, as it only takes 5 minutes or less for a gas vehicle to get refueled
*Electric vehicles are made for midgets and dwarves
*You can't drag race an electric vehicle
*You can't pimp the engine to an electric vehicle

eb8fbdddd6fe29784b92deeb54fb73f4b4ff743ed6f86cc8f1765e42ee62ff1b_1.jpg

Con, EV advocates do not know that most homes can not safely charge an electric vehicle.

A little advice, hire a certified electrician that pulls a permit to install your charger, that way you do not burn down your house killing any innocents that may live inside.
It's really no more difficult than running a connection for an electric range, dryer or AC unit. Just a basic 40 amp 220 volt line

I think as a daily driver an EV is a good choice. Most people drive well under 100 miles a day so there is no need to charge anywhere but at home.

Forum List

Back