Proposed Constitutional Amendments at the Convention of States (Poll)

Of the 6 proposed Amendments for the Convention of States, which would you approve?

• 1) Approve

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • 2) Approve

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • 3) Approve

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • 4) Approve

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 5) Approve

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • 6) Approve

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Vote NO on all (6) proposed Amendments

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
Here is a summary of the proposed Amendments to the US Constitution pending approval at the Convention of States.
If/when 38 state legislatures approve any of the following proposed amendments they are approved, and NOT subject to review by the president, congress, nor the Supreme Court.

1) Term limits for Congress (9 terms in the House and 3 terms in the Senate)
2) Cap U.S. Supreme Court judges at nine & a quorum at six
3) Balanced Budget Amendment
4) Set boundaries to the Commerce Clause ( the Department of Commerce will be eliminated, states regulate commerce)
5) Enable states to overrule federal laws and regulations (a simple majority of all state legislatures (i.e. 26) can repeal any federal law)
6) Stop the federal government from seizing states' land and resources (all land and resources within a state shall be regulated by that state)
I voted to cap SC judges at 9 but the quorum thing has me thinking. Is their a quorum now? I can see that being politically used like some states do with their legislators. It would suck if the SC started to use this as a political tool.

They passed most of them. If we don't balance the budget the dollar collapses. The Fitch downgrade was a final warning

I see someone already tagged this as Fake News ... you should be ashamed of yourself ...

HR 4355 (2021) was the military appropriations from the 117th Congress, Democrat controlled ...

No ... the Republican controlled 118th House hasn't sent any appropriations bills to the Senate ...

I can't believe you're trying to take credit for something the Democrats did ... that's lame even for Republicans ...

I voted to cap SC judges at 9 but the quorum thing has me thinking. Is their a quorum now? I can see that being politically used like some states do with their legislators. It would suck if the SC started to use this as a political tool.
Agreed. I'm not sure when the quorum thing kicks in. Only if one dies or retires maybe?
I can't imagine that three justices would ever be out of commission?

I see someone already tagged this as Fake News ... you should be ashamed of yourself ...
HR 4355 (2021) was the military appropriations from the 117th Congress, Democrat controlled ...
No ... the Republican controlled 118th House hasn't sent any appropriations bills to the Senate ...
I can't believe you're trying to take credit for something the Democrats did ... that's lame even for Republicans ...
Bite me.

The following list provides information on Congressionally Directed Spending items that are included in the fiscal year 2024 Senate appropriations bills.

Proponents of a article 5 convention of states can shove it right up their ass along with a cactus....Careful what you wish for.

Our Founding Fathers did not create Article V to rein in the power and jurisdiction of the federal government. The Constitution they had just written already did that. That was the reason for drafting the Constitution in the first place.

When the people meet in convention they are under no obligation to abide by the terms of the state resolutions. That is why Article V establishes no procedures, other than to apply.

Once two-thirds apply, Congress shall call a convention, and once the convention convenes, it is under the highest sovereign authority of a free country: the people.
(yeah right)

At that point the rules, procedures, and agenda are set by the convention.

Neither Congress nor the state legislatures have any authority or control over a convention once it is called to order.

Sorry but I don't want a rouge's gallery of leftists and RINOs determining our direction....They are fucking up things royally the way it is.
When you see a bidenesta calling for a convention of the states buyer beware.

That whole convention of states notion is how the coup that ended the Articles of Confederation took place.
This is not the panacea some of y'all think it is.

Agreed. I'm not sure when the quorum thing kicks in. Only if one dies or retires maybe?
I can't imagine that three justices would ever be out of commission?
Well, one possibility is openings coming up and never filled, enough to the point where some judges could finish it off by refusing to even listen to a case, let along make a decision on one. I don't even know at what point the quorum thing would kick in. Is a quorum when the case is listened to or at the point they make a decision on the case?

Here is a summary of the proposed Amendments to the US Constitution pending approval at the Convention of States.
If/when 38 state legislatures approve any of the following proposed amendments they are approved, and NOT subject to review by the president, congress, nor the Supreme Court.

1) Term limits for Congress (9 terms in the House and 3 terms in the Senate)
2) Cap U.S. Supreme Court judges at nine & a quorum at six
3) Balanced Budget Amendment
4) Set boundaries to the Commerce Clause ( the Department of Commerce will be eliminated, states regulate commerce)
5) Enable states to overrule federal laws and regulations (a simple majority of all state legislatures (i.e. 26) can repeal any federal law)
6) Stop the federal government from seizing states' land and resources (all land and resources within a state shall be regulated by that state)
That term limit proposal is too weak.

A balanced budget amendment mandates tax increases if they can reach a balanced budget.

Actually this COS has a very strict agenda.
Several states insisted on it to be sure that the 2nd Amendment couldn't be affected.

The states can "insist" all they want.

Doesn't change the fact that once convened the COS can make any recommended amendment they want (not saying the amendment would pass the required number of legislatures) but the COS can issue any amendment they want from 2nd Amendment modifications to national abortion protections.

There is no mention in the COTUS that limiting conditions can be placed on a COS.

WW

All amendments have to be approved by 3/4 of the states. There's no danger of a "runaway convention."

True.

Just saying there can be no pre-limits that are binding on a COS.

Which means their proposed amendment have to go out to the states forcing a debate.

WW

Any proposed amendment still has to be approved by 3/4 of the states. How is that any more dangerous than having Congress propose amendments? Congress is against it because under the COS amendments like term limits can be proposed, and they would never propose that in a million years.
True.

Just saying there can be no pre-limits that are binding on a COS.

Which means their proposed amendment have to go out to the states forcing a debate.

WW
The state reps to the COS will debate them, and then each state legislatured will debate them.

Any proposed amendment still has to be approved by 3/4 of the states. How is that any more dangerous than having Congress propose amendments? Congress is against it because under the COS amendments like term limits can be proposed, and they would never propose that in a million years.

The state reps to the COS will debate them, and then each state legislatured will debate them.

Agreed again.

They could propose term limits, then it would be up to the 3/4 of the states.

They could propose restructuring the 2nd Amendment, then it would be up to 3/4 of the states.

They could propose national abortion rights up to 20 weeks, then it would be up to 3/4 of the states.

You and I are in agreement, I think.

WW

1. Bad idea. Florida has term limits. It's the most screwed up state of all.
2. Bad idea. The court needs to be bigger.
3. Awful idea. Cripples the ability of the government to fix a recession, as Biden did with the Trump recession.
4. Bad idea. Allows fascist states to play dictator.
5. Same
6. Worst idea. Turns over the peoples' land to whatever political hack bribes the state government.
Florida is happy that you do not like it.

Agreed again.

They could propose term limits, then it would be up to the 3/4 of the states.

They could propose restructuring the 2nd Amendment, then it would be up to 3/4 of the states.

They could propose national abortion rights up to 20 weeks, then it would be up to 3/4 of the states.

You and I are in agreement, I think.

WW
How about abolishing the income tax and going back to having state legislatures choose senators?

Bubba didn't finish Middle School ... apparently, you don't know what a "appropriations bill" is ...

"Between fiscal year 1977 and fiscal year 2012, Congress only passed all twelve regular appropriations bills on time in four years – fiscal years 1977, 1989, 1995, and 1997.[6] Every other fiscal year since 1977 has required at least one continuing resolution. For example, in 2013, Congress failed to agree on any regular appropriations bills prior to the start of fiscal year 2014. An attempt was made to pass the Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2014 (H.J.Res 59) prior to October 1, but the House and Senate could not agree on its provisions, leading to the United States federal government shutdown of 2013.[13][14] The federal government resumed operations on October 17, 2013 after the passage of a continuing resolution, the Continuing Appropriations Act, 2014, that provided funding until January 15, 2014.[15] On January 15, 2014, Congress passed another continuing resolution, H.J.Res. 106 Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2014, to provide funding until January 18, 2014.[16] Congress finally passed the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2014, an omnibus appropriations bill, on January 17, 2014 to provide funding for the remainder of fiscal year 2014."

Be careful what you wish for. On the surface some Amendments might look legitimate but they might also be filled with booby traps. The last thing we want is a "constitutional Convention" during a democrat majority. Lefties are big on choice for mothers who want to kill their unborn but they think it's O.K. to take political choices away from citizens in the voting booth.

Well, one possibility is openings coming up and never filled, enough to the point where some judges could finish it off by refusing to even listen to a case, let along make a decision on one. I don't even know at what point the quorum thing would kick in. Is a quorum when the case is listened to or at the point they make a decision on the case?
Typically a quorum is the minimum number of members to take an official action, in this case make an official decision.

Forum List

Back