Probation as Punishment

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
Is probation a good punishment? Usually on probation convicted persons are required to obtain/maintain employment, remain drug free, abstain from association with other criminals, perform community service and live a crime free life.

If the person committed a crime then they must be a danger to society. Why is this punishment so commonly used with no regard to public safety? Does this probationary period offer some sort of rehabilitation? Is this just away to solve overcrowded prison populations? What gives? Is this the best way to handle crime?

Depends what one is on probation for and whether they have to fulfill certain conditions.

Tying someone to a chair and punching them in the face with brass knuckles is one crime I have heard someone receiving probation for.

Is probation a good punishment? Usually on probation convicted persons are required to obtain/maintain employment, remain drug free, abstain from association with other criminals, perform community service and live a crime free life.

If the person committed a crime then they must be a danger to society. Why is this punishment so commonly used with no regard to public safety? Does this probationary period offer some sort of rehabilitation? Is this just away to solve overcrowded prison populations? What gives? Is this the best way to handle crime?
most crimes are not a crime against people so they are not a danger to society,,,

They also have to check in, meeting with (in person) a probation office and actually pay to be on probation. On first offense, it might be effective, later, not so much. If they don't have a decent job, it can be expensive, which is punishment.

if thats true its a travesty of justice,,

It could be a tall tale. It’s not like I actually attended the trial. I heard it from the perpetrator himself. He was a coworker of mine. We were all worried he was going to be going to prison for a while and he was a good worker. He claimed that was what he had done. He was being charged with wrongful imprisonment and assault.

He could have embellished on the story. I never really questioned it until you just now said that.

Probation isn't a punishment.

It is the final warning - if you break then terms of probation, then you're supposed to be punished.

They also have to check in, meeting with (in person) a probation office and actually pay to be on probation. On first offense, it might be effective, later, not so much. If they don't have a decent job, it can be expensive, which is punishment.

Bullshit.

Probation nearly never involves any sort of check in or follow up. It's just a mark on the record so if the person is arrested again while on probation they are supposed to be locked up immediately.

Of course it doesn't work that way, probation means they got off scot-free.

Bullshit.

Probation nearly never involves any sort of check in or follow up. It's just a mark on the record so if the person is arrested again while on probation they are supposed to be locked up immediately.

sorry but I have been on it 3 times and everytime I had to check in and follow up,, one even had me come in 3 times a week in the morning for a breathalyzer and twice a month for a drug test and my charges had nothing to do with drugs or drinking,,,

Bullshit.

Supervised probation requires you to check in with a probation officer, usually monthly.

You are right though. Unsupervised probation doesn’t require anything at all other than being crime free. Which is dumb. That applies to everybody anyways.

Forum List

Back