Prized Targets

BlueJay28

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2014
My niece asked me Why would a battleship that even if it was built right now brand new with modern technology, still has its limits...

Be such a highly prized target for the enemy...

When there are much more powerful ships out there with a longer reach, armed with weapons that by itself also has a longer reach than the battleship ?

So I said...
Because very simply the enemy is stupid.

First of all the battleship wouldn't be a capital ship today, it would rank approximately the same as a gunboat or a corvette ship today.

The enemy is thinking of history, and glory by attacking a battleship, but its a fatal tactical error.

Because first of all, by crippling a battleship they have not stopped the cruise missiles from launching from a destroyer and cruiser.
And they have not stopped the aircraft from taking off from the decks of an aircraft carrier.

That's how stupid the world outside of the USA, really is.

The steel armor on a WWII battleship was pretty darn thick. I wonder if a surface to surface or air to surface missile, say a Harpoon or Exocet, could penetrate it today.

• Banned

The steel armor on a WWII battleship was pretty darn thick. I wonder if a surface to surface or air to surface missile, say a Harpoon or Exocet, could penetrate it today.

A harpoon would blast a world war 2 battleship like the "Iowa Class" to kingdom come.
They had wooden decks, and armor that is thick, but is not as advanced as armor today.. thick is all it is today.
Kevlar is better armor.

Forum List

Back