No, Obama’s grandmother didn’t say he was born in Kenya

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Another one of the birther myths hits the mainstream, courtesy of G. Gordon Liddy's appearance on MSNBC.

Among those on television who’ve been covering the sudden public resurgence of the Birther movement — but in a much more responsible way than Lou Dobbs — is MSNBC’s Chris Matthews. The other day, he beat up pretty badly on Rep. John Campbell, R-Calif., who’s a co-sponsor of the “Birther bill” that would require future presidential candidates to provide proof of their natural-born citizenship. Thursday, he hosted Watergate burglar turned radio host G. Gordon Liddy, who’s fallen under the Birthers’ sway.

Liddy himself looked decidedly unwell, and sounded out of sorts — even Matthews seemed to realize that making him into a piñata would be unsporting.

I’m posting on the appearance, though, because of something Liddy said during it: ”You’ve got a deposition, which is a sworn statement, from the step-grandmother, who says, ‘I was present and saw him born in Mombasa, Kenya.’”

Liddy got this particular myth a little garbled, but it’s a favorite of the Birthers’. I’ve covered it before, but it’s worth posting on now, I think, because cable news is just getting back to this story (there was some coverage late last year, when the Supreme Court declined to hear one of the Birther lawsuits) and hosts like Matthews don’t know all the crazy twists of the conspiracy theory well enough to knock them down.

What Liddy was referring to is actually an affidavit filed by a street preacher named Ron McRae, who conducted an interview with Sarah Obama, the second wife of President Obama’s grandfather, through a translator. (Sarah Obama is not the president’s biological grandmother, but he calls her “Granny Sarah.”)

In that interview, Sarah Obama does in fact say at one point that she was there for her grandson’s birth. But that was a mistake, a confusion in translation. As soon as a jubilant McRae began to press her for further details about her grandson being born in Kenya, the family realized the mistake and corrected him. And corrected him. And corrected him.

No matter, though, because people who believe in a conspiracy theory simply hear what they want to hear. So some Birther sites have posted transcripts and YouTube clips that end abruptly with the mistranslation and don’t include the corrections. McRae, for his part, included the full translation in his affidavit — he thinks it’s all just part of the conspiracy. “Some few younger relatives, including [translator Vitalis Akech Ogombe],” McRae wrote in his court filing, “have obviously been versed to counter such facts with the common purported information from the American news media that Obama was born in Hawaii.”

Here’s the conversation: No, Obama's grandmother didn't say he was born in Kenya - Salon.com

Old birther stories never die.

Another one of the birther myths hits the mainstream, courtesy of G. Gordon Liddy's appearance on MSNBC.

Among those on television who’ve been covering the sudden public resurgence of the Birther movement — but in a much more responsible way than Lou Dobbs — is MSNBC’s Chris Matthews. The other day, he beat up pretty badly on Rep. John Campbell, R-Calif., who’s a co-sponsor of the “Birther bill” that would require future presidential candidates to provide proof of their natural-born citizenship. Thursday, he hosted Watergate burglar turned radio host G. Gordon Liddy, who’s fallen under the Birthers’ sway.

Liddy himself looked decidedly unwell, and sounded out of sorts — even Matthews seemed to realize that making him into a piñata would be unsporting.

I’m posting on the appearance, though, because of something Liddy said during it: ”You’ve got a deposition, which is a sworn statement, from the step-grandmother, who says, ‘I was present and saw him born in Mombasa, Kenya.’”

Liddy got this particular myth a little garbled, but it’s a favorite of the Birthers’. I’ve covered it before, but it’s worth posting on now, I think, because cable news is just getting back to this story (there was some coverage late last year, when the Supreme Court declined to hear one of the Birther lawsuits) and hosts like Matthews don’t know all the crazy twists of the conspiracy theory well enough to knock them down.

What Liddy was referring to is actually an affidavit filed by a street preacher named Ron McRae, who conducted an interview with Sarah Obama, the second wife of President Obama’s grandfather, through a translator. (Sarah Obama is not the president’s biological grandmother, but he calls her “Granny Sarah.”)

In that interview, Sarah Obama does in fact say at one point that she was there for her grandson’s birth. But that was a mistake, a confusion in translation. As soon as a jubilant McRae began to press her for further details about her grandson being born in Kenya, the family realized the mistake and corrected him. And corrected him. And corrected him.

No matter, though, because people who believe in a conspiracy theory simply hear what they want to hear. So some Birther sites have posted transcripts and YouTube clips that end abruptly with the mistranslation and don’t include the corrections. McRae, for his part, included the full translation in his affidavit — he thinks it’s all just part of the conspiracy. “Some few younger relatives, including [translator Vitalis Akech Ogombe],” McRae wrote in his court filing, “have obviously been versed to counter such facts with the common purported information from the American news media that Obama was born in Hawaii.”

Here’s the conversation: No, Obama's grandmother didn't say he was born in Kenya - Salon.com

WRONG, you idiot. She DID say it.

Possibly she didn't "mean" it.

But to deny that she said what she absolutely DID say requires a dipshit laughable lolberal being an abject absolute asshole.

YOU are unquestionably qualified for that job.

Well lakhota, he was reelected, so I am puzzled by your post. Regardless its past tense, America is stuck with two more years of his nonsense.

Well lakhota, he was reelected, so I am puzzled by your post. Regardless its past tense, America is stuck with two more years of his nonsense.

Don't be puzzled. It's been brought up a few times during the last day or so. I thought I'd just set the record straight....again.

Don't be puzzled. It's been brought up a few times during the last day or so. I thought I'd just set the record straight....again.

Because dorkhota (i.e., Shitting Bull) thinks that repeating things which aren't in dispute in the first place makes him look smart.

Possibly she didn't "mean" it..

Not according to the transcript.

No matter how much Mcrae tried to lead Obama's step grandmother into saying that Obama was born in Kenya, she never said he was born in Kenya, and specifically said he was born in Hawaii, while she was in Kenya.

Of course I don't speak the language- and neither do you- but feel free to point out how the transcript is in error.

Possibly she didn't "mean" it..

Not according to the transcript.

No matter how much Mcrae tried to lead Obama's step grandmother into saying that Obama was born in Kenya, she never said he was born in Kenya, and specifically said he was born in Hawaii, while she was in Kenya.

Of course I don't speak the language- and neither do you- but feel free to point out how the transcript is in error.

No. She was asked about bring "present when [Obumbler] was born in Kenya." That's when she did say, 'yes she was present.'

Is there some official record of grandma Obama bring in Hawaii on that date?

Last edited:
I was never a "birfer." I always took the position that there was inadequate evidence to support the claim that BHO was born anywhere but in Hawaii. I DID, however, acknowledge that the contention that he "was" born in Hawaii was also less than fully established. So, for me, the question is a little bit open. Just not enough to make me worry about it.

Forum List

Back