Principal Posts "F-List"

How do you feel about posting F-lists

• Total voters
We already do this on a different level with "No Pass, No Play" for student athletes.

My daughter is one of three young ladies on the wrestling team at her school. She orginally made JV, but was pulled up to Varsity mid season, due to her athletic excellence (and an opening in her weight class they need to fill).

After winter break, all student athletes participating in winter sports are required to have each of their teachers sign off on their grades, attendance and behavior in order to participate in school sports. The sign-offs are returned to the Head Coach and they actually DO pay attention to what these sheets say.

My daughter learned the hard way they really *meant* "No Pass, No Play" when one of her teachers reported that she was in danger of failing a class.

She lost her starting Varsity spot and was benched, leaving her to explain to everyone why she wasn't wrestling (team rules require that even if you aren't eligible to participate, you must dress out and attend all games/meets/practices, etc).

Fortunately (for her) the season only had a few weeks remaining, so her torment wasn't prolonged. However, this was the bitch-slap she needed to make sure this never happened to her again. Since then, she has worked her ass off studying and making grades. Wrestling (for whatever reason) is what makes her happiest. She's a very comeptitive person by nature, and she loves kicking ass on the mat (which she does). Can't do that if you don't make the grades. She's a believer now.

I notice you didn't respond to what I said.

However, "no pass and no play" is different than publicly listing people's names and grades for all to see.

We already do this on a different level with "No Pass, No Play" for student athletes.

My daughter is one of three young ladies on the wrestling team at her school. She orginally made JV, but was pulled up to Varsity mid season, due to her athletic excellence (and an opening in her weight class they need to fill).

After winter break, all student athletes participating in winter sports are required to have each of their teachers sign off on their grades, attendance and behavior in order to participate in school sports. The sign-offs are returned to the Head Coach and they actually DO pay attention to what these sheets say.

My daughter learned the hard way they really *meant* "No Pass, No Play" when one of her teachers reported that she was in danger of failing a class.

She lost her starting Varsity spot and was benched, leaving her to explain to everyone why she wasn't wrestling (team rules require that even if you aren't eligible to participate, you must dress out and attend all games/meets/practices, etc).

Fortunately (for her) the season only had a few weeks remaining, so her torment wasn't prolonged. However, this was the bitch-slap she needed to make sure this never happened to her again. Since then, she has worked her ass off studying and making grades. Wrestling (for whatever reason) is what makes her happiest. She's a very comeptitive person by nature, and she loves kicking ass on the mat (which she does). Can't do that if you don't make the grades. She's a believer now.

I notice you didn't respond to what I said.

However, "no pass and no play" is different than publicly listing people's names and grades for all to see.

No its not different.

My kid was publicly embarrassed that she lost her spot on the Varsity team--and SHE was left to explain TO HER PEERS why she sat out 3 weeks worth of matches.

Because of her grades.

Same damned thing. Public humiliation over poor grades.

According to FERPA Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, you cannot disclose any information about a student. The District and the Principal can be subject to a fine as well as be sue by the parents for disclosing any information about a student. There are numerous ways to motivate students. This is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard anybody doing. I am a former High School Principal and Central office Administrator. They teach you this in Graduate school.

Wisconsin Principal posted a list of students who had failed a class.

This racheted up the "punishment" for failing classes from denying dance attendance.

(I guess no one failing really cared about the dance)

But they (and their parents) DO care about being publically exposed as slackers.

Is the Principal's action akin to a Public Pillory, Cruel And Unusual?

Or is it an effective motivaltional technique?

I dont object to holding people accountable for their actions, or lack of action in this case.

I'm not totally in support of or against what this guy is doing. I can see where it might not be the greatest idea but at the same time I applaud him trying to hold his students accountable.

Its a tough one for me, I can't even find an option on the poll that I want to pick.

How did this thread get 5,100 + views and only 9 poll responses?:confused:

Because it was too hard to decide whether to vote in favor of getting lists of all the lesbians or nor. I mean everyone can see if you do that, and who wants to be known as a perv who gets off watching lesbos?

If this is public school, I'm pretty sure this violates some sort of privacy laws that the student is suppose to be protected by.

I'm surprised a principal wouldn't be aware of these laws, but I believe that pillory is unconstitutionally violating protection from "cruel and unusual" punishment."

Why not just have students that fail wear pointy hats and sit in corners?

I don't think the constitutional prohibition against 'cruel and unusual punishment' is at issue here.

but i do think the principal needs to go back to school for lessons on how to treat people -- starting with you don't hold children up to ridicule.

Forum List

Back