Potential Fallacy - 50 Million Wasted On Repeal Effort

Sun Devil 92

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2015
How Americans Could Have Benefited From The $50 Million Republicans Spent Trying To Repeal Obamacare

CBS’ Nancy Cordes reported Wednesday that Republicans’ many fruitless attempts at repealing the Affordable Care Act have taken up at least 80 hours of time on the House floor since 2010, amounting to two full work weeks. As the House, according to the Congressional Research Service, costs taxpayers $24 million a week to operate, those two weeks amounted to a total cost of approximately $48 million.

You'll never see me giving Republicans at the federal level credit for being smart. They only do this to keep themselves elected. They certainly have no collective guts.

However, this article is either sloppy or a downright lie.

The article essentially assumes that the House would not have met and that all costs are variable.

In other words, shut off the heat, shut off the water....we are not paying for any of it while not in service. Which isn't true. Everyone knows you still get a water bill even if you don't use any. There is always a baseline cost.

What about salaries. Are those included ? If so, we quit paying those ?

What about security and maintenance ? Is all that included.

It's not that I want the GOP wasting it's time doing lip service to something they have no courage over.

But this article is yet another example of the kinds of bullcrap we get for "information".

Oh my bleeding heart..........

what else they be doing? killing history? taking down Confederate Flags? They already in DC for some of their 90 total "work" days. Cost is built in salary.

All very valid questions that I'm sure you could research for yourself if you truly wanted answers.

How Americans Could Have Benefited From The $50 Million Republicans Spent Trying To Repeal Obamacare

CBS’ Nancy Cordes reported Wednesday that Republicans’ many fruitless attempts at repealing the Affordable Care Act have taken up at least 80 hours of time on the House floor since 2010, amounting to two full work weeks. As the House, according to the Congressional Research Service, costs taxpayers $24 million a week to operate, those two weeks amounted to a total cost of approximately $48 million.

You'll never see me giving Republicans at the federal level credit for being smart. They only do this to keep themselves elected. They certainly have no collective guts.

The article essentially assumes that the House would not have met and that all costs are variable.

In other words, shut off the heat, shut off the water....we are not paying for any of it while not in service. Which isn't true. Everyone knows you still get a water bill even if you don't use any. There is always a baseline cost.

It's not that I want the GOP wasting it's time doing lip service to something they have no courage over.

But this article is yet another example of the kinds of bullcrap we get for "information".

We could also have saved the $750 million the Administration paid out for illegals to have insurance.

We could also have saved the $750 million the Administration paid out for illegals to have insurance.

We'll get on that as soon as you show us the proof that it's happening.

Glad to help:

Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies | Fox News

Glad to help:

Senate report: Illegal immigrants benefited from up to $750M in ObamaCare subsidies | Fox News

Link to the actual report, not the Fox interpretation.

Bet you can't.

Glad to help:

Bet you can't.

No I can't see the Senate on the search but there are other links. Why should anyone bother to point anything out to you? You wouldn't accept any link that destroys your agenda anyhow. Obamacare is doomed. Get over it and move on.

Glad to help:

Bet you can't.

No I can't see the Senate on the search but there are other links. Why should anyone bother to point anything out to you? You wouldn't accept any link that destroys your agenda anyhow. Obamacare is doomed. Get over it and move on.

When you cite original sources, you have credibility.

When you cite unsourced rumor-mongering (at least you didn't cite Stephanie's favorite site, Twitchy), intelligent readers wonder what you or your source are trying to hide.

Just another example of how easy it is for the media to dupe some Americans. The stinking pols waste BILLIONS annually, but the media spins out this story and amazingly it works on some.

Glad to help:

Bet you can't.

When you cite unsourced rumor-mongering (at least you didn't cite Stephanie's favorite site, Twitchy), intelligent readers wonder what you or your source are trying to hide.

Fox is a legimate news service. In fact, it is the nation's number one cable news source. It simply happens to report stories you refuse to listen to.

Bet you can't.

Fox is a legimate news service.

Then why doesn't it tell you where it got its information?

I did a little bit of searching and found this:

Senate Report 111-89 - AMERICA'S HEALTHY FUTURE ACT OF 2009

Which is from 2009...five years before the PPACA.

Maybe you can find that $750 million figure in that report, but it will not be under Obamacare unless you've got a DeLorean in your garage. ;)

This is why you can't rely on any news source that doesn't tell you where it's getting its information.

Maybe you can find that $750 million figure in that report, but it will not be under Obamacare unless you've got a DeLorean in your garage. ;)

This is why you can't rely on any news source that doesn't tell you where it's getting its information.

It plainly said it was a Senate Report.

Bet you can't.

It plainly said it was a Senate Report.

Yes. From 2009.

The PPACA was enacted in 2014.

Did it have a positive or negative impact on providing healthcare for immigrants?

That's for you to find out for yourself (you might start by reading the report), because FOX sure ain't gonna tell you.

Thanks to those of you who are interested in addressing the subject of the OP.

If you have answers, that would be great.

I, for one, find the article stupid.

Why not shut the military down for 1 month. Don't pay them or anything....

Wow...how much would that save ?

The more I read this article, the more annoying it is.

I believe that if they are going to make such a claim, they should provide more detail.

This could easily be a load of bulls**t. We would not know unless they provide the detail.

Anything that has the word "Think" in it's title should be able to do better than this.

The "89 hours wasted" should be easy enough to verify. What's impossible to verify is whether or not this particular pack of Republicans would have done anything else with those hours. :dunno:

Just another example of how easy it is for the media to dupe some Americans. The stinking pols waste BILLIONS annually, but the media spins out this story and amazingly it works on some.

It plays to prejudiced thinking...which is just what it was intended to do.

What gets me is that something that calls itself "Think........" would print such a pathetic article.

What gets me is that something that calls itself "Think........" would print such a pathetic article.
The media publishes articles like this one often. Then know they can dupe millions of Americans with their propaganda. It is much too easy.

The media publishes articles like this one often. Then know they can dupe millions of Americans with their propaganda. It is much too easy.

For all we know, they could be right.

But the case they make has potential holes you could drive a truck through.

They should have qualified this by saying that this is truly incremental cost.

Otherwise, it is worse that propaganda....it is untrue......and would ban outright lie.

Forum List

Back