Potential Employment Decision upcoming

Anathema

Crotchety Olde Man
Apr 30, 2014
The Olden Days
There is a moderate potential that I may have to make a MAJOR emplotidecision in the next 3-4 monthsā€¦

Our local Department Supervisor just got promoted to Manager of the overall Department. Our current Work Coordinator is applying for the vacated Supervisor position when it opens. If they get the job, one of our Senior Technicians MAY apply for that job. If they get that job, I would be in line to apply for (and get) the Senior Technician job.

It would be an 18% pay raise and move me to the top rung of our (Union) Roster (#2 overall on the Roster). If I donā€™t apply for it, I will probably never get another chance to do so, and will remain #3 on the Roster
permanently.

The problem is that Iā€™m not sure I want the job. The Senior position currently does very different work than I currently do. Work Iā€™m not largely excited about taking on. That MAY change in the next 12-18 months, but thereā€™s no guarantee it will, or what it might change to.

Any useful, serious advice would be greatly appreciated.

There is a moderate potential that I may have to make a MAJOR emplotidecision in the next 3-4 monthsā€¦

Our local Department Supervisor just got promoted to Manager of the overall Department. Our current Work Coordinator is applying for the vacated Supervisor position when it opens. If they get the job, one of our Senior Technicians MAY apply for that job. If they get that job, I would be in line to apply for (and get) the Senior Technician job.

It would be an 18% pay raise and move me to the top rung of our (Union) Roster (#2 overall on the Roster). If I donā€™t apply for it, I will probably never get another chance to do so, and will remain #3 on the Roster
permanently.

The problem is that Iā€™m not sure I want the job. The Senior position currently does very different work than I currently do. Work Iā€™m not largely excited about taking on. That MAY change in the next 12-18 months, but thereā€™s no guarantee it will, or what it might change to.

Do it, 18% pay raise will just about cover the gas hikes. Make the job yours, how you want that job to be.

Do it, 18% pay raise will just about cover the gas hikes. Make the job yours, how you want that job to be
Thank you for the response. I work from home three (hopefully four soon) days a week. I rarely go out otherwise.

Itā€™s a UNION position, as my current one is. The work is laid out by the Company. My only chance to affect that MIGHT come if the Manager and Supervisor decide to reorganize certain work assignments after that 12-18 month time period. Either way, the Devi would not be mine to make.

permanently.

Does your current position meet your current economic needs?
Are you happy with your current job?
How many years are you away from retirement and your pension?

Does your current position meet your current economic needs?
Are you happy with your current job?
How many years are you away from retirement and your pension?
I make enough money to sustain myself and my family. The extra would be nice to provide a small cushion and help pay off some bills.

I enjoy my job. Iā€™ve done it for 21+ years. :5 as a Contractor. 3 as a Management employee. The last 13 as a Union employee under 3 different job titles. Iā€™m very good at what I do.

I Ave another twenty years before I could even consider retirement (age 68).

I make enough money to sustain myself and my family. The extra would be nice to provide a small cushion and help pay off some bills.

I enjoy my job. Iā€™ve done it for 21+ years. :5 as a Contractor. 3 as a Management employee. The last 13 as a Union employee under 3 different job titles. Iā€™m very good at what I do.

I Ave another twenty years before I could even consider retirement (age 68).

Frankly, if you have debts to pay off and need to work until 68 to consider retirement, going for the promotion might be worth it.

Frankly, if you have debts to pay off and need to work until 68 to consider retirement, going for the promotion might be worth it.
Our major debt is our house. Other than that itā€™s some credit cards mostly. Nothing serious. We have no problem paying them all every month.

68 is when my Social Security will kick in. Until I got married 8 years ago I never intended to (and still might not) ever retire.,

In the corporate world everyone gets promoted until they are incompetent
Thankfully Iā€™m in the Union world, not the Corporate world. These two hirings would actually be good ones. Both would be excellent fits for their new positions.

The Company has already noted (in writing) that Iā€™m qualified for the Senior Technician job. The question isā€¦ Do I really want it?

If you have twenty years left before you're going to retire, something new is probably more of a plus than a minus.

I'm gonna hang it up when I turn 55 and find some place warm and sandy. Life's too short.

Forum List

Back