Possum

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Possums have been around here for a long time but I never heard one growl until last night when my dog had one cornered under the car. Properly spelled "opossum" it is America's only "marsupial' mammal. They really do play possum when they are in trouble.

Possums have been around here for a long time but I never heard one growl until last night when my dog had one cornered under the car. Properly spelled "opossum" it is America's only "marsupial' mammal. They really do play possum when they are in trouble.
If you go out into the woods on a hot summer night with a full moon you will hear them growl for territory and da ladies...They also crap when they play possum to make it seem real.

They cling to the mother's fur when they are young. A couple of years ago I found about a dozen tiny little possums scattered around. I thought they were rats until I looked close. I figured my dog caught a mother possum and shook it until the little ones came loose. They were still alive so I gathered them up and called the wild animal shelter.

1644177914788.png

I had a couple of dogs corner one a while back. It tried to play dead, when that failed the opossum let loose with a stream of urine... may as well have been a skunk... ten o'clock on a weeknight and I'm bathing two dogs...

Last edited:

My Boxers have eaten several of them.
I've come home and found spines with legs and nothing else
The last one they got hold of we were home and the Wife heard the dogs going nuts,she went outside to see what the excitement was all about.
Our Male Boxer Gadsden came running by with a possum in his jaws. She screamed and told him to drop it which he did. She came inside and said the dogs killed another possum.
I asked Her if it was torn up she said no,told Her it wasn't dead just playing possum. She looked at me like I was crazy so I told Her to go back outside and see if it was still there,of course it was gone.

Forum List

Back