Portland Police upset that they'll have to speak within 48 hours of shooting someone.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
One of the major complaints from people like me, who want to see real reform of police, is that the differences between police and citizens in how they are treated during an investigation.

A big part of the Law Enforcement Officers Bill of Rights is that the police get a "cooling off" period before they have to give a statement to investigators when deadly use of force is involved. This is very different than the average citizen.

Portland Police Now Forced To Talk Immediately After Shootings

Curiously, the District Attorney says that getting a statement from the officer so soon may make them immune to prosecution. Um. What? So if Bob the husband calls and says he shot and killed his wife, is he similarly immune to prosecution? No? Well why not?

The Law Enforcement types are upset saying that the police officers are now required to make a statement. No, they aren't. The cop has the same rights as every other individual. The right to remain silent. The right to refuse to answer questions. The right to have an attorney present. None of these rights have been stripped from the cop. The only thing is that the cop has to give the statement sooner than they had been. The cop is still free to make this his statement. "I refuse to answer any questions."

His Lawyer can be there to help him sound out the big words if the cop is not smart enough to say the sentence without prompting.

The funny thing is this. The cops now say that good information takes three or four days to remember. Wait what? Yeah, because in time, the I don't recall defense makes more sense than the next morning.

I'm sure we'll be hearing how the Politicians in Portland are part of the War on Police because the cops should be treated like every other citizen who is involved in the use of deadly force. How dare those bastards do that? I mean, damn it, the cops are special. Look at the short bus they have to ride in.

IMG_0124.JPG

I believe I've heard this before. I'm trying to remember just how it goes. Oh yes. If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear.

if i am not mistaken it looks like that somali muslim cop that shot an Aussie woman in Minnesota about 2 months ago still hasn't given a statement .

Forum List

Back