Poll: Percent of Christians drop, those identifying as "none" soars

Notice they overwhelmingly solid numbers merely are unchurched rather than nonbelievers.

Atheists rose from 1.6% to 3.1%, and agnostics from 2.4% to 4%

Non believers went from 4% to 7.1%
interesting.....they went from almost no one to hardly anybody......

7% is quite a large number considering it was 1-2% a decade ago
Americans are becoming less religious. It doesn't play as big a part in their lives

Well, maybe less led-around-by-the-nose by cults, not necessarily less religious.
I consider myself religious, just never bought into the Christianist song and dance.

What is so horrible about Christianity?

What is so evil about believing in God that evokes so many celebratory threads by RW and Guano every time they see a report that there are fewer and fewer believers?

Is your belief in God better because you belong to an organized religion?

If people say, I believe in God, but organized religion is a bunch of shit.......are they any less religious?

What is so evil about believing in God that evokes so many celebratory threads by RW and Guano every time they see a report that there are fewer and fewer believers?

While I regularly attend either a Church of God or Assembly of God, some of my own personal beliefs don't align with their teachings.
I attend for the fellowship with fellow believers.

There, I answered your question.
Can you attempt to answer mine?

While I regularly attend either a Church of God or Assembly of God, some of my own personal beliefs don't align with their teachings.

I never said believing in God was evil

But the actions of some of those who do...is evil

You, and Guano, seem to regularly celebrate the decline in numbers of believers.
For the greater percentage we are law abiding, low key, peaceful people. (Mumbly even has a thread wondering why the fuss over 4-5%, when extreme Christians are an even MUCH smaller percentage of the population than LGBT)
I'm just curious as to why it seems to be a good thing to have less , not more, people like that.

Ahhh... theism and Christianity are not the same thing yanno.

Another non-answer

It's pointing out a non-question. First your topic is "Christianity", then it morphs to "believing in God", repeating the same sentence.
Two different things. Pick one.

You, and Guano, seem to regularly celebrate the decline in numbers of believers.
For the greater percentage we are law abiding, low key, peaceful people. (Mumbly even has a thread wondering why the fuss over 4-5%, when extreme Christians are an even MUCH smaller percentage of the population than LGBT)
I'm just curious as to why it seems to be a good thing to have less , not more, people like that.

Some Religion is beneficial or at worse harmless
Some breeds hatred and condescension towards those who may believe something even slightly diferent

If you read this Religion board, you will find more christians attacking atheists or muslims than the other way around

Another non-answer

It's pointing out a non-question. First your topic is "Christianity", then it morphs to "believing in God", repeating the same sentence.

I choose all THREE, actually
see: Trinity

Some breeds hatred and condescension towards those who may believe something even slightly diferent

If you read this Religion board, you will find more christians attacking atheists or muslims than the other way around
If that's the case, right now, it's a passing phase.
I've pointed out, several times, the disproportionate amount of threads started by Atheists finding fault in believing.

Regardless, as followers and/or believers, we aren't called to attack but to draw near.
I can admit I get sucked into the mire at times, though

I've pointed out, several times, the disproportionate amount of threads started by Atheists finding fault in believing.

Regardless, as followers and/or believers, we aren't called to attack but to draw near.
Passing phase?

Religious hatred has gone on for thousands of years

Another non-answer

That's not what Trinity means.
You won't get away with that -- I'm a recovered Catholic. I know all that stuff. ;)

Passing phase?

Pointing out that someone is committing a sin doesn't equal hatred.
I disagree with some of the religious zealots that seem to only focus on homosexuality.
There are plenty of other sins, that are committed on a larger scale, to focus on....theft, murder, adultery, etc...
But while they may focus more on the gay lifestyle, pointing out it's a sin isn't "hatred"

Another non-answer

You won't get away with that -- I'm a recovered Catholic. I know all that stuff. ;)

You said being Christian and believing in God was two different things. It obviously isn't

Passing phase?

I disagree with some of the religious zealots that seem to only focus on homosexuality.
There are plenty of other sins, that are committed on a larger scale, to focus on....theft, murder, adultery, etc...
But while they may focus more on the gay lifestyle, pointing out it's a sin isn't "hatred"

Current "sins" of the American religious community

1. Supporting Capital Punishment
2. Hatred of homosexuals
3. Persecution of other religions
4. Opposition to birth control

Another non-answer

You said being Christian and believing in God was two different things. It obviously isn't

Of course it is.

Is a Jew a Christian? A Muslim? Not quite. Hell we've got at least two wags around here who will come in and insist that Catholics aren't Christians. And Catholics invented it.

Passing phase?

2. Hatred of homosexuals

1. is far from a sin. It has a need as a deterrent. Such as one who commits treason.
2. Hatred is a sin, yes, we agree. But opposing the promotion of the homosexual lifestyle is not hatred. You assume far too much about a Christian's role is with homosexuality.
3. Persecution of other religions in America? The Christian churches are actively doing this?
4. Are you God? Have you made it very clear that opposition to artificial contraception is a sin? That's strange.

Christians sin, yes, we agree. But your list is not a very good example of any of that.

But your poll is a shocker. This nation is adrift. They appear to me to be so concerned about their bank book and their love life and their self esteem that they have forgotten one day they will die and be judged. They must have purposely also ignored all the evidence that the Judeo-Christian god is G-d. Kind of important.

Passing phase?

2. Hatred of homosexuals

1. is far from a sin. It has a need as a deterrent. Such as one who commits treason.
2. Hatred is a sin, yes, we agree. But opposing the promotion of the homosexual lifestyle is not hatred. You assume far too much about a Christian's role is with homosexuality.
3. Persecution of other religions in America? The Christian churches are actively doing this?
4. Are you God? Have you made it very clear that opposition to artificial contraception is a sin? That's strange.

Christians sin, yes, we agree. But your list is not a very good example of any of that.

But your poll is a shocker. This nation is adrift. They appear to me to be so concerned about their bank book and their love life and their self esteem that they have forgotten one day they will die and be judged. They must have purposely also ignored all the evidence that the Judeo-Christian god is G-d. Kind of important.

These are areas where the majority of Americans have views that are more moral than evangelical christians

We would not even have a death penalty if not for the insistence of evangelicals
Their views on homosexuality are the most unchristian thing they do

Forum List

Back