Political correctness

Of course not. It's called respect. Besides that would be racist, and I believe racism to be = to stupidity,

Well bigotry, but probably racist as well. And that's the point I'm trying to make. Political correctness when done correctly is just respecting fellow human beings.

My family traces it's roots to before the American Revolution and the Berkeley line. My ancestry, the Bishop Berkeley, was going through the colonies trying to open hospitals. Very Californial! And guess what? A Mountain Dew still costs me two bucks at the 66 Diner like everyone else!

It bothers me when I see flags from foreign countries displayed here. The immigrants are not assimilating. I wonder how many "Americans" know how many justices there are on the U. S. Supreme Court.

Here in the southwest, Spanish was spoken 75 years before the Declaration of Independence. Out here, we should all speak Spanish and English. Because I am part of an old family tree, we feel a certain ownership of the country, that those who came later may not feel. But, big BUT, a person who became a U. S. citizen 15 minutes ago is just as equal as I am. Citizenship requirements, (other than anchor babies), are tough. You can be relatively sure that a new citizen will be able to tell you how many justices there are on the U. S. Supreme Court, and more.

I can not help but laugh when I hear people say, "America love it or leave it," because if that were enforced, they would be leaving this country, long before me. Political correctness is just a matter of being polite, and showing respect for diversity.

america-love-it-or-leave-it.jpg

100% American has nothing to do with genealogy. It's about VALUES - something for which you constantly betray a severe deficiency.

Oh, I don't like the word "breeding," but when a family stands for something for 300 years, and it is passed down from generation to generation with accomplishments. We certainly do not have justify our values. Our values are recorded as actions in the fabric of American history, as are a large number of other familys.

Shitty values can last as long as good ones

Yes but you also said that anyone who uses it IS a racist.

I corrected myself later on and said anyone who uses it in a hateful manner as to show superiority is racist. After all, the whole definition of racist is considering one race superior to others. Otherwise, it's just bigotry. However, they often go hand in hand.

Not really. It's not much different than declaring oneself the winner of a debate and going home.

So someone commanded society to stop offending each other and moved on ?

Yeah, only they didn't move on. (Perhaps that wasn't the best metaphor.) Think of it as a linguistic fascism. Very Orwellian, really.

Here are some examples:

"Fairness": what happens when liberals get their way.

"Unfairness": when "liberals" do not get their way.

"Funding": money from government

"Compassionate": using taxpayer money to buy votes.

"Insensitivity": objecting to the use of taxpayer money to buy votes.

"Crisis": any situation which "liberals" or leftists want changed through government action and compassionate funding (taxes).

"Public Interest Group": politically organized group of "liberals" or leftists supporting "liberal" causes or kooky "environmental" programs.

"Special Interest Lobby": politically organized group of conservatives or libertarians.

"White Middle-Class Greed: If someone resents paying taxes to support our generous welfare system (corporate or individual), that person is guilty of White Middle-Class Greed, regardless of his race or earnings level. Most of the world’s problems can be traced to White Middle-Class Greed and American Capitalism, as we all know.

"Entitlement": An entitlement is something that "Society" owes a member of a specially designated minority group or person defined as below the poverty level (as determined by government bureaucrats). It is provided by getting the government to take money from those who work for it and then giving it to those who are entitled to it. Those who work for it or earn it through market investments are NOT entitled to it, you understand.

"Equal Opportunity": preferential treatment.

"Simplistic": arguments "liberals" don't agree with but can't answer

Introductory Guide to “Political Correctness”

Liberals are a lot LESS sensitive than conservatives.

When you point out that the Republican Party is 90% white and mostly Christian, or when you talk about "Confederate Day", or when you talk about the Republican politicians who say, "Don't feed the poor or they'll breed" or the Republican who gets caught again and again in the men's room (not the SAME Republican, no, different ones), or when you point out that only 6% of scientists are Republican and only 9% of scientists are conservative, Republicans go nuts.

Not just "nuts", but "ranting", "foaming at the mouth", "pulling out Rand Paul's hairpiece" kind of nuts.
bush-baby-244x300.jpg

Here, let me show you:

White
White
White
White
White
White

glenn-beck-goes-crazy-in-radio-show-pin-head-funny-comedy.jpg

See what I mean?

My family traces it's roots to before the American Revolution and the Berkeley line. My ancestry, the Bishop Berkeley, was going through the colonies trying to open hospitals. Very Californial! And guess what? A Mountain Dew still costs me two bucks at the 66 Diner like everyone else!

It bothers me when I see flags from foreign countries displayed here. The immigrants are not assimilating. I wonder how many "Americans" know how many justices there are on the U. S. Supreme Court.

Here in the southwest, Spanish was spoken 75 years before the Declaration of Independence. Out here, we should all speak Spanish and English. Because I am part of an old family tree, we feel a certain ownership of the country, that those who came later may not feel. But, big BUT, a person who became a U. S. citizen 15 minutes ago is just as equal as I am. Citizenship requirements, (other than anchor babies), are tough. You can be relatively sure that a new citizen will be able to tell you how many justices there are on the U. S. Supreme Court, and more.

I can not help but laugh when I hear people say, "America love it or leave it," because if that were enforced, they would be leaving this country, long before me. Political correctness is just a matter of being polite, and showing respect for diversity.

100% American has nothing to do with genealogy. It's about VALUES - something for which you constantly betray a severe deficiency.

Oh, I don't like the word "breeding," but when a family stands for something for 300 years, and it is passed down from generation to generation with accomplishments. We certainly do not have justify our values. Our values are recorded as actions in the fabric of American history, as are a large number of other familys.

If your family has stood for true American family values for 300 years, they must be sorely disappointed in what a vile specimen you have demonstrated yourself to be.

Of course not. It's called respect. Besides that would be racist, and I believe racism to be = to stupidity,

Well bigotry, but probably racist as well. And that's the point I'm trying to make. Political correctness when done correctly is just respecting fellow human beings.

And I believe the point most are trying to make is that PC has gone too far. I liken it to newspeak from 1984.

Under the pervasive guidance of Political Correctness that took hold from elementary school to university, from the media to the arts, from the country fields to factories and offices, Cubans learned to say what it was safe to say. Always in line with the overpowering state. Always following the dictums of the only political party left: the Communist Party.

That's authoritarianism, not necessarily communism.

Not necessarily America either, what difference does it make? It is oppression

That's irrelevant to the point at hand. The point is communism does not equal authoritarianism as you suggest in the bolded quote. Communism is not defined by loyalty and agreement with the state, although many communist countries these days have great strains of authoritarian government in them.

Communism isn't inherently any more authoritarian than democracy or republican forms of government, really. What determines it is the people running it.

It IS judgemental----and you place yourself as the judge. I think people have had enough of trying to tippy toe around those who have no self esteem.

Did you not read my posts in this thread? I said political correctness when taking to the extreme is wrong. However, political correctness in itself is not wrong.

Also, stop with the whole "it's judgmental" crap. We're all judgmental, everyday of our lives with everybody we need. Every single friend we have, we made a conscious choice to be friend while weighing the pros and cons of said friendship.

You are the one who started the "judgmental" stuff.

It should be my choice whether I want to be unkind and gruff, or kind and thoughtful. PC is dangerous to freedom no matter how you slice it. Just try to think about the reason the USA is what she is. Like no other nation on earth. Please just do us that one favor. Our lives and freedoms are in the hands of your generation and some day you may have children, that will ask you, why they cannot speak against the government

Why do you want everybody to be the same? Not a fun place to live, if that were the case.

I am an American, it's as simple as that. My ancestors going back 6 or 7 generations may not have been American. But I am 100% American.

Political correctness in this day and age is nothing more than attempted enforcement of someones idea of politeness and respect via the suppression of free speech plus ideological indoctrination.
Common decency is just a matter being polite and showing respect for diversity. Understand the difference.

And I believe the point most are trying to make is that PC has gone too far. I liken it to newspeak from 1984.

I agree it goes too far from time to time. I'm just objecting to some posts in this thread where they say political correctness in itself is wrong. Political correctness in itself cannot be wrong anyway, however the people using political correctness as a tool can abuse it and be wrong.

To actually answer the original post and topic at hand, optimistically we shouldn't need political correctness in this day and age. People should know enough to get along with each other without derogatory terms and issues coming up.

Unfortunately, we are coming off a long history of being relatively nasty to the people different around us, so some political correctness is needed.

To actually answer the original post and topic at hand, optimistically we shouldn't need political correctness in this day and age. People should know enough to get along with each other without derogatory terms and issues coming up.

Unfortunately, we are coming off a long history of being relatively nasty to the people different around us, so some political correctness is needed.

:eusa_doh:

It should be my choice whether I want to be unkind and gruff, or kind and thoughtful. PC is dangerous to freedom no matter how you slice it. Just try to think about the reason the USA is what she is. Like no other nation on earth. Please just do us that one favor. Our lives and freedoms are in the hands of your generation and some day you may have children, that will ask you, why they cannot speak against the government

Nobody says you can't be unkind and gruff. However, people have a right to not like you because of it. What you're asking for is for people to go against their own views and like you for being a complete asshole. That's not very American of you.

If anything, our Founding Fathers time was a lot more PC than it is now. So I don't know what the hell you're smoking. As for speaking out against the government, what the hell are you talking about? That has nothing to do with being politically correct.

I agree it goes too far from time to time. I'm just objecting to some posts in this thread where they say political correctness in itself is wrong. Political correctness in itself cannot be wrong anyway, however the people using political correctness as a tool can abuse it and be wrong.

PC is a tool used by despots, and haters of a free society

Nobody says you can't be unkind and gruff. However, people have a right to not like you because of it. What you're asking for is for people to go against their own views and like you for being a complete asshole. That's not very American of you.

If anything, our Founding Fathers time was a lot more PC than it is now. So I don't know what the hell you're smoking. As for speaking out against the government, what the hell are you talking about? That has nothing to do with being politically correct.

I am not asking anyone to go against their views, I am asking people to think about the big picture, not the warm fuzzy one

I am not asking anyone to go against their views, I am asking people to think about the big picture, not the warm fuzzy one

Again, what the hell are you talking about? The big picture is the reason why we have political correctness in the first place. If the picture was warm and fuzzy, we wouldn't need it.

And yes, you are asking people to go against their own views. You want to be a complete unPC asshole, go right ahead. However, people have the same right to not like you because of it.

Again, what the hell are you talking about? The big picture is the reason why we have political correctness in the first place. If the picture was warm and fuzzy, we wouldn't need it.

And yes, you are asking people to go against their own views. You want to be a complete unPC asshole, go right ahead. However, people have the same right to not like you because of it.

And again, I am not asking anyone to like me. That is irrelevent to this discussion.

Have I posted "UNPC" posts? :lol: I have a set of standards that has nothing to do with PC

I believe I have a pretty ok reputation concerning kindness, and not being rude

And again, I am not asking anyone to like me. That is irrelevent to this discussion.

Have I posted "UNPC" posts? :lol: I have a set of standards that has nothing to do with PC

I believe I have a pretty ok reputation concerning kindness, and not being rude

You said this:

It should be my choice whether I want to be unkind and gruff, or kind and thoughtful.

Nobody is taking away your choice of whether to be unkind or kind. I'm not even going to bother focusing on the rest of "It's bad for America due to my reasoning and therefore we should avoid it at all costs!" argument that is thrown around constantly. However, just like you have a right to be kind or unkind, people have a right to like you or dislike you for it. That's my point.

That's PCness in a nutshell. It allows anyone to stand up and say, "I am offended by that term, or that idea." Whether the term is accurate, or the idea has merit, is of no importance - the offense is all that matters.

Don't like someone's opposition to same-sex marriage? Easy. Declare him a homophobe. A co-worker has a cheesecake calendar in their cubicle? Tell HR you find it offensive and it will be gone before lunch.

Forum List

Back