police union defends cop in lyoya killing

From the OP's link:

"Earlier Tuesday, Winstrom told a community forum that he wants to put more emphasis on officers knowing how to turn down the heat during tense situations. Some experts believe Schurr should have stopped trying to subdue Lyoya when he resisted.
“I guarantee that we can do more,” said Winstrom, who has been chief for less than two months. “Actually, that’s one of the things I’ve already reached out to my colleagues to say, ‘Hey, I need some curriculum, because we are going to beef it up.’"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As has been mentioned previously, there likely is NOT an American police protocol, curriculum, training, demonstration, or instructional video that advises American police officers to shoot a perp in the the back of the head as he was on his belly on the ground.

Betcha.

And without that advisement or training to do exactly that, well, the GR police department, the City of GR, and maybe the officer will be....already are.....on the hook for a shooting that was not prescribed by the extensive training that our police officers are required to undertake given their tremendous responsibilities. Not to mention the trust we offer them in carrying a lethality semi-auto firearm amongst us.

Betcha.
There are circumstances when it's absolutely taught to be advisable.

This is one of those circumstances.

Another is when a perp is struggling with a cop over a gun and another cop is on the scene and there's no other way to stop the perp from potentially gaining control of the weapon.

Sometimes that's simply the only reasonable option left.

( re: our police) "the trust we offer them in carrying a lethality semi-auto firearm amongst us."
"This sentence doesn't begin to make any sense."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, if one doesn't understand what my avatar wrote then.....a good share of the blame belongs on my avatar.
So let us try again:

We ask our police to carry a high-lethality weapon amongst us unarmed citizens. Trusting that their judgment, their quality of character, and most especially their rigorous training will mandate the use of it only for the highest good of our society.

It is a sacred trust that we invest such profound power to these servants....not only in the mechanical force of the weapon, but also in the societal authorization to employ it for or against us citizens.

Accordingly, we have all those rigorous selection protocols, all that training, all that practice, and then pair them with experienced colleagues. In that way, we feel the 'trust' we invest is a trust that will be in capable hands.

But, there are no guarantees. Only precautions.

The perp was trying to get control of the tazer. If he did that the cops like would have been in danger. the cops life was in danger he had no choice but to shoot. justified. excepting it is key.

he had no choice but to shoot.
I demur.
He had other choices.
Could have disengaged. After all, he had the car and the PD could've hunted down the perp in short order.
He could have shot the guy in the back of the shoulder, in the arm, the elbow, the ankle, the knee.
He could have put the muzzle right next to the ear and fired into the ground.

He could have chosen NOT to put the muzzle to the back of the head and rip a round into that head.

I'm pretty sure.....though admittedly do not know for sure......that the policeman was NOT trained or instructed or directed or advised.....to shoot a perp in the back of the head when he is on the ground.

Now, what I have read it seems that particular PD has had a bunch of 'racial discrimination' issues. Those, no doubt, will be described in detail in the upcoming civil trial over a fatal shooting outside of department protocols.

The cop may not be criminally charged. Police seldom are. But the GR PD, and the city of GR (actually, their insurance carrier) are gonna be writing a big check to the survivors and heirs of the shot-in-the-back-of-the-head victim.

ps....for those who ain't really paying all that much attention....the nub of the matter is this: "Shot-in-the-back-of-the-head-while-on-his-belly-on-the-ground-with-a-policeman-on-his-back."

Wish I could be more succinct with that 'nub'.......but the reality is kinda nuanced so gotta be as complete as necessary.

It's always justified when you break the law.

When you break the law you're automatically decreasing your life expectancy to some degree. Even driving through a red light or stealing a pack of gum you have willingly put yourself at increased chances of being in danger. Should an old lady be shot for running a red light? No, but she still increased the likely hood she will be in a situation where she would be shot, even if it's just a fraction. More times you commit a crime the more your chances go up.

The past 2 years haven taken away any consideration I once had for criminals. I have no pity for criminals anymore because we spent 2 years catering to the bad guys while saying fuck the police instead of fuck criminals.

I demur.
He had other choices.
Could have disengaged. After all, he had the car and the PD could've hunted down the perp in short order.
He could have shot the guy in the back of the shoulder, in the arm, the elbow, the ankle, the knee.
He could have put the muzzle right next to the ear and fired into the ground.

He could have chosen NOT to put the muzzle to the back of the head and rip a round into that head.

I'm pretty sure.....though admittedly do not know for sure......that the policeman was NOT trained or instructed or directed or advised.....to shoot a perp in the back of the head when he is on the ground.

Now, what I have read it seems that particular PD has had a bunch of 'racial discrimination' issues. Those, no doubt, will be described in detail in the upcoming civil trial over a fatal shooting outside of department protocols.

The cop may not be criminally charged. Police seldom are. But the GR PD, and the city of GR (actually, their insurance carrier) are gonna be writing a big check to the survivors and heirs of the shot-in-the-back-of-the-head victim.

ps....for those who ain't really paying all that much attention....the nub of the matter is this: "Shot-in-the-back-of-the-head-while-on-his-belly-on-the-ground-with-a-policeman-on-his-back."

Wish I could be more succinct with that 'nub'.......but the reality is kinda nuanced so gotta be as complete as necessary.
from some one who isnt a cop

It's always justified when you break the law.

When you break the law you're automatically decreasing your life expectancy to some degree. Even driving through a red light or stealing a pack of gum you have willingly put yourself at increased chances of being in danger. Should an old lady be shot for running a red light? No, but she still increased the likely hood she will be in a situation where she would be shot, even if it's just a fraction. More times you commit a crime the more your chances go up.

The past 2 years haven taken away any consideration I once had for criminals. I have no pity for criminals anymore because we spent 2 years catering to the bad guys while saying fuck the police instead of fuck criminals.
oh yeah . and people lieing saying lyola didnt have record. i new from begining he didnt have valid license or he would have showed it to the cop.

cops back him up all the way. it was justifiable.
That's pretty sad all around

Forum List

Back