Police shackle feet and hands of woman in labor. Is that OK? Is she a threat?

deanrd

Gold Member
May 8, 2017
NYPD accused of ‘shackling’ pregnant woman until ‘moments’ before delivery: Lawsuit

"Against the vehement protests of medical staff, the NYPD refused to remove the shackles, compelling Ms. Doe to labor in excruciating pain and forcing doctors to examine Ms. Doe with her feet and hands bound,"

"Moments before Ms. Doe delivered her daughter, a growing chorus of outraged doctors convinced the NYPD to briefly remove her shackles. At 6:14 a.m., Jane Doe gave birth to her daughter. Shortly after she gave birth, NYPD officers again shackled her, ignoring the doctors’ continued pleas. Ms. Doe struggled to feed her new baby with one arm," the lawsuit states.

Correctional groups, including the Correctional Association of New York, call it a "barbaric -- and illegal" practice. The state banned the use of shackles on women throughout labor, delivery and recovery in 2009.

The lawsuit argues that Jane Doe "never struggled, resisted, or acted in any way that would even remotely support the use of restraints."

-----------------------------------
Seems like a person's humanity could be a guide here.

I guess not.

I don't see any problem.Now if she had to shit while shackled that could have been inhumane.

NYPD accused of ‘shackling’ pregnant woman until ‘moments’ before delivery: Lawsuit

"Against the vehement protests of medical staff, the NYPD refused to remove the shackles, compelling Ms. Doe to labor in excruciating pain and forcing doctors to examine Ms. Doe with her feet and hands bound,"

"Moments before Ms. Doe delivered her daughter, a growing chorus of outraged doctors convinced the NYPD to briefly remove her shackles. At 6:14 a.m., Jane Doe gave birth to her daughter. Shortly after she gave birth, NYPD officers again shackled her, ignoring the doctors’ continued pleas. Ms. Doe struggled to feed her new baby with one arm," the lawsuit states.

Correctional groups, including the Correctional Association of New York, call it a "barbaric -- and illegal" practice. The state banned the use of shackles on women throughout labor, delivery and recovery in 2009.

The lawsuit argues that Jane Doe "never struggled, resisted, or acted in any way that would even remotely support the use of restraints."

I guess not.

Hey moron.. She's called Jane Doe because no one wants US to know who she is, what she was charged with, or how many small children and puppies she's killed or how many times she's escaped custody.. She could be a right winger -- that would make you feel better. They MAY have had a reason.

I guess not.

Hey moron.. She's called Jane Doe because no one wants US to know who she is, what she was charged with, or how many small children and puppies she's killed or how many times she's escaped custody.. She could be a right winger -- that would make you feel better. They MAY have had a reason.
i am waiting to see how he will bring trump into this....

I guess not.

i am waiting to see how he will bring trump into this....

They'll work on it until someone stumbles onto a reason.

upload_2018-12-7_21-23-37.png

Until a thread like this, I sometimes forget what hateful people Republicans are.

Until a thread like this, I sometimes forget what hateful people Republicans are.

Maybe you can become involved personally, and help this unfortunate woman out? Nah, ya dims just like to pump stuff up and take pot shots at others. Find some obscure fluffed up article, with tons of unanswered questions and tailor it to your agenda. Maybe just save your energy and help Hillary on her next campaign. [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good idea--let the thugs/criminals/etc just walk around--able to flee whenever
:rolleyes-41::rolleyes-41:

Correctional groups, including the Correctional Association of New York, call it a "barbaric -- and illegal" practice. Jane Doe had been arrested in connection with a family dispute with her ex-partner that happened five months before her Feb. 7, arrest, which was just two days before her due date, according to the lawsuit.

I guess not.

From reading the article, I don't see why the police think she was that dangerous or even capable of being dangerous as she was heavily pregnant and in birth situation. The shackling of her is absurd and stupid.

Here is what they stated in the article:

"Jane Doe had been arrested in connection with a family dispute with her ex-partner that happened five months before her Feb. 7, arrest, which was just two days before her due date, according to the lawsuit."

bolding mine

A family dispute, no mention of murder or deadly assault charges against her EX partner, who was not at the hospital, and this was FIVE MONTHS AGO too. Then there is a STATE LAW the police appears to have ignored:

"The state banned the use of shackles on women throughout labor, delivery and recovery in 2009."

I think the Police are going to get clobbered on this one.

Are you stupid, boy? She was 9 months pregnant and in labor! She wasn't going anywhere except the maternity ward.

Shackles are ridiculous. Have a guard with her, maybe put a GPS monitor on her ankle.

Are you stupid, boy? She was 9 months pregnant and in labor! She wasn't going anywhere except the maternity ward.

Shackles are ridiculous. Have a guard with her, maybe put a GPS monitor on her ankle.
beat her a$$ if she doesn't comply
these jackasses are not civil/sane/etc
....when you have to use FORCE on something/someone who is not complying, something will break

....when you have to use FORCE on something/someone who is not complying, something will break

Are you a pathetic troll or a serial killer in the making, psycho boy?

Are you a pathetic troll or a serial killer in the making, psycho boy?
so wanting law and order makes me psycho???!!!!
and you do not want law and order--that makes you the good guy????!!!!

The raging fantasies of an ultra-right-winger deployed to excuse away the inhumanity (what else is new?), and then sanctified as "a reason". There never is, and never will be, enough (police) brutality in this world for this bunch to be satisfied.

Forum List

Back