Please rank these 5 legendary QB

A successful QB must have physical attributes but the mental part of the game is what set's the truly great ones apart.
I'm assuming this is "modern" era since there is no Johnny Unitas

1) Brady- Most championships, TDs, wins, yards, playoff wins, trips to the CCG. Championships on 2 different teams.
He was not the most physically talented ever but his intangibles were on another level.

2) Montana- Championships, big plays & mentally tough.

3&4) Tied between Manning & Elway. Great players with not much separating them. Both won SB with Denver

5) Not Elway- I'd prefer Kurt Warner here. 1 Super Bowl win & 2 other trips. Greatest Show on Earth.

You must also be expository in why

Marino , Elway , Brady , Montana and P manning

Brady-GOAT

Montana-Best knowledge of the game

Peyton-3rd gen legend, also good player and knowlegeable

Elway and Marino, meh.

On par with Flutie, Young, Eli, and Testaverde. Or maybe not even as good as.

I don’t think it fair to rate QBs based on championships. Put them on a lesser team and see how many they get.
Brady came through in almost all the big games. Even if he had great protection he still showed something more time and again. . 2- Marino was a great passer, period. Back when scrambling wasn’t as necessary. . 3- Manning similar to Brady in poise, but just and edge less in clutch perhaps. . 4 -Montana on a great team and a great passer as well. But Jerry Rice the greatest? I take Moss, so would most coaches. Rice never even had to get his uniform dirty.

As far as old school greats,when they called many of their own plays, etc. Rougher game on the QBs as well. These are who I rank ---- Marino fouts lamonica unitas tarkenton.

I clearly said EXPlain
Sorry. Didn't have a whole lot of time last night.

1) Brady. 7 Superbowl rings, one of those with another team. (Should be 9 SB wins). 10 Superbowl appearances. Playoffs almost every year. Only missed one season with an injury. Countless final drives to win under 2 minutes. Clutch decision making. GOAT!

2) Montana. Some of the same attributes as Brady. Had that clutch time attitude and demeanor. Was really pulling for him to win a Superbowl when he went to Kansas City. Second GOAT!

3) Elway gets the nod above the other two because he went to three straight Superbowls with a crappy team. Actually had a chance to win the first one. Eventually got his two rings. Made some questionable decisions at times, but solid.

Now we come to the stats geeks wet dreams.

4) Manning. Three Superbowl appearances. Two wins. He had almost nothing to do with either of the wins. If Chicago had a QB other than Rex Grossman on the sidelines, he'd have just the one with Denver. And that defense was a juggernaut. He had a chance to cement a legacy of not being a choker against the Saints..but made critical mistakes at inopportune times. He's a stats geeks fantasy and I know sports writers and historians cream over his career. But..GAG!!!! Never good under pressure. I would rate his brother, Eli above him even though he doesn't nearly have his brother's stats. If you forced me to make a choice for a big game QB, I'd pick Eli.

5) Now we come to the sad case of Dan Marino. Who rightfully should have had at least two or three Superbowls. If not for Don Shula. But Miami ownership would never rope Shula in and take control away from him. Even when it was clear the game had passed him by. I have a soft spot for Marino (as I do Jim Kelley) but he should have cut bait with Miami after his first contract was up. When it was clear between his coach and ownership, it was never going to happen. I mean, you don't even get but ONE sniff at a Superbowl after your rookie season...sheesh. Say what you will about Jerry Jones, he cut Tom Landry loose. The Cowboys would have never gone on that championship run if Landry was their coach.

Sorry, but being from the old school, I can't leave off Terry Bradshaw! I know "The Iron Curtail" was given more credit for their SB wins, but the Steeler Offense had HOF'rs as well in the form of ATG receivers like Stallworth & Swan! Someone had to get the ball to them! Excluding a 4 time winner, only to make exceptions for a couple 2 timers just makes no sense even with all their throwing records! :dunno: :rolleyes::stir::dev3:

Last edited:
Bart Starr won five championships including the first two super bowls. It is the whole package that is a major part of anything with winning as the goal. There are fans of teams who revere players who were part of them who played well and consider them to be part of the top tier also.

You must also be expository in why

Marino , Elway , Brady , Montana and P manning
Brady
Montana
Elway
Payton Manning
Marino

Regular season don't matter.

What about Mahomes? If he wins a 2nd Superbowl? I might put him above Elway.

Forum List

Back