Zone1 Please learn CPR. It can save lives.

MS State head coach Mike Leach is in ICU in critical condition after having suffered a heart attack. According to various news outlets, he went 10 to 15 minutes without medical care.

From Medprep.com
"Every year, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) saves thousands of lives. The greatest tragedy of cardiac arrests, one of the causes of death where CPR can intervene, is they are often preventable deaths—nearly forty-five percent of those who would have died of cardiac arrest survive when someone, whether a trained professional or passing good samaritan, administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation."

The classes are taught all over. It would not take long to find one. Sign up. Learn the skill.
Good post! I’m fully trained in the MARCH algorithm.
Learn to be able to save yourself. Then learn to be able to save those you care about! Randos are are hit, or miss. But if no verifiable animus is in play… You’ll seldom regret saving a life.

Last edited:
MS State head coach Mike Leach is in ICU in critical condition after having suffered a heart attack. According to various news outlets, he went 10 to 15 minutes without medical care.

From Medprep.com
"Every year, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) saves thousands of lives. The greatest tragedy of cardiac arrests, one of the causes of death where CPR can intervene, is they are often preventable deaths—nearly forty-five percent of those who would have died of cardiac arrest survive when someone, whether a trained professional or passing good samaritan, administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation."

The classes are taught all over. It would not take long to find one. Sign up. Learn the skill.
Been certified ( no not about my insanity ) since 2007.

Been CPR certified ever since my first tour in the Navy (since 1983), and recertified every year I was active duty.

I might need to go to a certification course again though, to learn the new way of doing CPR with no breathing assistance.

But, I'm pretty sure I could still help to save someone's life if needed. Not only do I know CPR, but also basic first aid, as that was one of the requirements for several billets I was in.

The Navy did love to train us in 1st aid. I was a stretcher bearer when in General Quarters.

From Medprep.com

Former holder of an EMT card....Know a fuckton more that'll save your life in a medical emergency than CPR.

If they are having a heart attack, it is, by far, the best way to keep them alive until better trained medical help arrives.
I never denied that. But it isn't remotely as effective as portrayed in the media.

The Navy did love to train us in 1st aid. I was a stretcher bearer when in General Quarters.

Yep. Not only did I get training for my GQ station, but also for both inport and at sea fire party, as well as had to learn stuff as a member of the Security Force. Security Force training was probably the most comprehensive, as we patrolled the base alongside the Base Police.

Yep. Not only did I get training for my GQ station, but also for both inport and at sea fire party, as well as had to learn stuff as a member of the Security Force. Security Force training was probably the most comprehensive, as we patrolled the base alongside the Base Police.

The most comprehensive training I had was for the Nuclear Weapons Security detail. But the fire fighting was a close second. That #1 hose could kick!

They can recover from that, that's like saying they will have a scar on their throat if they get an emergency trach.
Not really. I'm just stating that it's not like on TV where almost every time someone performs CPR the patient suddenly wakes up a lives happily ever after.

I'm not saying not to ever do it. If you don't know what to do just stay calm and call 911, and more importantly, listen to what they are telling you. Answer their questions succinctly. And stay calm so the 911 dispatcher, and the first responders, can comprehend wtf you are talking about. Don't panic.

The most comprehensive training I had was for the Nuclear Weapons Security detail. But the fire fighting was a close second. That #1 hose could kick!

I think one of the scarier things I ever saw in my life was when they showed us what a "wild hose" can do. I was surprised that it was able to whip around as much as it did with a heavy ass brass bail on the end of it. Gave me a HUGE appreciation of making sure I held onto the thing properly if I was part of the hose team.

Not really. I'm just stating that it's not like on TV where almost every time someone performs CPR the patient suddenly wakes up a lives happily ever after.

I'm not saying not to ever do it. If you don't know what to do just stay calm and call 911, and more importantly, listen to what they are telling you. Answer their questions succinctly. And stay calm so the 911 dispatcher, and the first responders, can comprehend wtf you are talking about. Don't panic.

Granted, if someone is at the point of requiring CPR, their chances of making it through are slim, but if you know how to do it, you still should try (even if your training might be a bit outdated).

And, yeah, calling 911 if you don't know how is a good thing to do, but a better one would be to get trained like the OP suggested, so that you CAN do more than just call 911. Yeah, you might not be able to save them, but then again you might, and IMHO, the benefit outweighs the risks. Even if you fail 10 times, but are able to save just one, that still makes it worth it.

I think one of the scarier things I ever saw in my life was when they showed us what a "wild hose" can do. I was surprised that it was able to whip around as much as it did with a heavy ass brass bail on the end of it. Gave me a HUGE appreciation of making sure I held onto the thing properly if I was part of the hose team.

I think I saw that same training film. There was some serious pressure behind that heavy nozzle.

Can you imagine getting hit by that thing?

Forum List

Back