Planned Parenthood prevented over 3 million abortions in 2011

Ah. That's a heck of case you made there in support of federal funding of contraceptives. Really very impressive...:doubt:

Yaknowwhat? Amy didn't say she supported it. At one time she needed the assistance because of the cost of College. Most people do NOT think this is wrong for people that need some help for a SHORT time. We're against the ones that want us to pay for their contraceptives ALL THE TIME. If someone i knew asked me if i could help her for a few months and had a good reason, i would do it.....for a FEW MONTHS.

That we be a voluntary offering on your part. Great. Good for you.

Federal funding of this operation is not done on a voluntary basis.

I don't fund your chickenhawk aspirations willingly. Welcome to life in a constitutional republic.

Majority rule sucks when you're in the minority at times.

No, contraception goes a long way toward preventing pregnancies.
Right. Unwanted pregnancies: the main cause of abortion.

If I were you I would be ashamed of your bold lies. 3 million condoms handed out by PP prevented 3 million abortions just like the 5 billion purchased condoms used last year prevented 5 billion abortions.

Look if you want to advocate for legalized abortion by all means. But I would not compound your precarious situation (with God, IMO) by making totally false claims.

Is it false? We don't know, do we. While it is a stretch to say 3 million unwanted pregnancies were avoided it is possible. And of those 3 million avoided pregnancies, many would have ended with an abortion.

btw, it isn't 3 million condoms handed out. In that number are also vasectomies and birth control devices (IUDs, etc.) and birth control pills.

Looking at their data, they prevented more pregnancies than they aborted.

And that is a good thing.

"Planned Parenthood prevented over 3 million abortions in 2011 "

:eusa_eh:one needs I think, to become pregnant then make a choice NOT to abort to claim that an abortion was prevented(?) Chicken-egg?

I think, to make the OP true- one would have to prove that the 3 million contraceptive(s) doled out meant that those ladies using them would have; a) become pregnant without them and b) unequivocally aborted if they had become pregnant, and there is just no way to prove/know that....

what exactly is a- 'emergency contraception kit(s)"?

Morning after pill.

:lol: I was wondering how they could have quantified that, but if you think about all the different type of contraception and information services they provide, they have probably prevented even more unwanted pregnancies than that...

Women of all ages may have unintended pregnancies, but some groups, such as teens, are at a higher risk. A 2011 study reported that 49% of pregnancies in the United States were unintended in 2006, a slight increase from 48% in 2001. Even though the percentage of pregnancies that were unintended declined for teens aged 15–17 years, four out of five pregnancies among women aged 19 years and younger were unintended (Finer 2011, Contraception [PDF - 350KB]). In addition, disparities in unintended pregnancy rates increased, particularly in some subgroups, such as women who were 18–24 years of age, poor, or cohabiting.

The United States has established family planning goals in Healthy People 2020 aimed at improving pregnancy planning, spacing, and preventing unintended pregnancy. An objective is to increase the proportion of pregnancies that are intended to 56%. Family planning efforts that can help reduce unintended pregnancy include increasing access to contraception, particularly to the more effective and longer acting reversible forms of contraception, and increasing correct and consistent use of contraceptive methods overall among those who are sexually active but wish to delay or avoid pregnancy. Research also has focused on better understanding pregnancy intention and how it is measured. As one study suggests, “A better understanding of the multiple dimensions of unintended pregnancy also may lead to a better understanding of the consequences of these pregnancies” (Santelli 2003, The Measurement and Meaning of Unintended Pregnancy [PDF - 112KB]).

Unintended pregnancy is associated with an increased risk of problems for the mom and baby. If a pregnancy is not planned before conception, a woman may not be in optimal health for childbearing. For example, women with an unintended pregnancy could delay prenatal care that may affect the health of the baby.

CDC - Unintended Pregnancy Prevention - Reproductive Health

Irrelevant. That's your problem to manage, not taxpayers.

If you have a problem keeping your pants on, that's your problem. You shouldn't force others to pay for your lack of restraint.

Cry me a river.

Welcome to the practical reality. Some conservatives don't care about preventing abortions;

paying for contraception equates caring to avoiding abortions? that's pretty simplistic don't you think?

they primarily care about controlling other people's morality.

and that works both ways, some apparently don't care about others views of morality in that paying for someones abortion or contraceptives may violate their conscience....?

it appears to me that those that demand contraception paid for by a third party that may be unwilling to do so is forcing the lack of choice upon them, why are they excoriated as trying to control others?

they are making the demand upon others and as I said some may have religious issues or plain issues of conscience for whatever reason, why are they criticized?

Contraception is considered preventative health care.

When you start complaining about other forms of preventative health care being covered, Trajan, you might have a point.

Contraception is considered preventative health care.

When you start complaining about other forms of preventative health care being covered, Trajan, you might have a point.

I was addressing her post, so your post has little to do with my response.

You have constructed a classic false dilemma.

paying for contraception equates caring to avoiding abortions? that's pretty simplistic don't you think?

Ockham's razor.

and that works both ways, some apparently don't care about others views of morality in that paying for someones abortion or contraceptives may violate their conscience....?

Do you care about violating my conscience in regards to the Iraq War? No?

We live in a constitutional republic. That means that if the majority of voters don't share your views, they will overrule your morality.

Welcome to America.

The title of this thread is a lie

It should state

Abortion has leveled off at ONLY 1.2 million per year

That is something to be proud of........?????

We live in a constitutional republic. That means that if the majority of voters don't share your views, they will overrule your morality.

Not if what you call his morality is protected under the law. We'll have to see whether or not being forced to pay for that which is anathema to one's religious beliefs is protected under the law. But the point is in a constitutional republic, a democratic majority vote does not mean you get to violate someone's rights...which may very well be based in their morality.

Just a point of clarification.

How much of that report do we have to read through to get to the gist of your claim?

How did they prevent over 3 million abortions? Can you speak to that in brief terms?

Did they possibly murder 3 million fetuses that might have had abortions later themselves?
It's on page four or five.

No it is not, care to quote for us, since what I saw was 333000 abortions preformed.

The number is more like 1.2 million a year The link Ravi posted was a PP link. Hardly objective

"Planned Parenthood prevented over 3 million abortions in 2011 "

:eusa_eh:one needs I think, to become pregnant then make a choice NOT to abort to claim that an abortion was prevented(?) Chicken-egg?

I think, to make the OP true- one would have to prove that the 3 million contraceptive(s) doled out meant that those ladies using them would have; a) become pregnant without them and b) unequivocally aborted if they had become pregnant, and there is just no way to prove/know that....

what exactly is a- 'emergency contraception kit(s)"?

Morning after pill.

That is not actually preventative, that is after the fact, an oops pill is a just in case, scenario

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
So, condoms don't prevent unwanted pregnancies?

So you accept the premise that since PPH gave out 3 million condoms that equals 3 million abortions prevented? I got that right?

No, the fact is that making contraception affordable and available will reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, which in turn will reduce the likelihood of abortions. That alone makes PP a valuable resource, and indeed deserving of funding.

So you accept the premise that since PPH gave out 3 million condoms that equals 3 million abortions prevented? I got that right?

No, the fact is that making contraception affordable and available will reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, which in turn will reduce the likelihood of abortions. That alone makes PP a valuable resource, and indeed deserving of funding.

Applying your "logic", we should simply subsidize Trojan and other condom manufacturers to offer their products for free directly to the public. Why go through a middle man?

Feel free to write them a check.

Forum List

Back