Plane Is Stolen From Seattle Airport crashes after chase with fighter planes

I see people lose it all the time. It's good to see someone lose it this awesome.

Its cruising speed is over 400 which means it could max closer to 500. They fly just like a full size airliner.

Aircraft speed is measured in Nautical Miles per Hour (Knots)

The Vne (the highest speed you can fly straight without risk of structural damage) of the Q400 is 360 knots TAS

The Max Cruising Speed of the 737-800 is 490 knots TAS (at 36,000 ft)

The Top Speed of an F-18 is 1,133 knots

A fighter jet is 3 times faster than the Q400. Which is why I say, it's not much of a chase.

Better question is -- what''s the LOWEST cruising speed of a fighter jet with all it's shit hanging out? :badgrin:

Kinda brings to mind the OJ Simpson "low speed" freeway chase scene..
We were at an air show once where they were demonstrating the low altitude abilities of the F18. The plane flew down the tarmac at 130 mph, standing on its tail, according to the announcer. Then from that position, went ballistic.

As to the OP, was the thief a Japanese guy that thought he was a kamikaze?

Plane Is Stolen From Seattle Airport Before Crashing
New York Times-4 minutes ago
A Bombardier Q400 used by Horizon Air. Its sister carrier, Alaska Airlines, said a similar plane made an unauthorized takeoff from ...

Man steals plane and crashes after chase with fighter planes in Seattle
Gold Coast Bulletin-15 minutes ago
A man has stolen an Air Q400 plane from Seattle's international airport on a dramatic unauthorised flight chased by fighter planes before ...

BREAKING: Plane Stolen From Seattle Airport Performs Stunts, Crashes
FOX40-2 minutes ago
SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines has reported that there was an unauthorized take-off of a Horizon Air Q400 plane from a Seattle airport.
The "pilot" committed suicide but I bet he'll still be voting Democrat in Seattle in November.

I gotta give the guy props (no pun intended) for getting it off the ground. Some of the maneuvers were also impressive.

Here’s an inside view of a Q400 taking off....

I don't know if this was due to the F-15s or what he planned but he crashed the plane on a largely uninhabited island in the south Puget Sound around 6 miles from Joint Base Lewis/McChord (JBLM).

On of the local news stations has some video of the plane inverted at the top of a loop where he pulls it out just a few feet above the water. Don't know yet if he had any flight hours or not but that's pretty impressive for a mechanic.

Its cruising speed is over 400 which means it could max closer to 500. They fly just like a full size airliner.

Aircraft speed is measured in Nautical Miles per Hour (Knots)

The Vne (the highest speed you can fly straight without risk of structural damage) of the Q400 is 360 knots TAS

The Max Cruising Speed of the 737-800 is 490 knots TAS (at 36,000 ft)

The Top Speed of an F-18 is 1,133 knots

A fighter jet is 3 times faster than the Q400. Which is why I say, it's not much of a chase.

Better question is -- what''s the LOWEST cruising speed of a fighter jet with all it's shit hanging out? :badgrin:

Kinda brings to mind the OJ Simpson "low speed" freeway chase scene..

I'm finding a fully loaded stall speed of an F-18 at 136 knots

117 knots for the Q400 -- only 97 with full flaps

That would be a fun dogfight to watch.
Something about the presence of air-to-air missiles vs the lack-of suggests an anticlimactic ending.

Not so sure an AIM 9 could even track the lower exhaust heat signature of the Q400. Anyone know about the AIM-120 AAMRAM?

AAMRAM's are radar guided. The F15 did not have sidewinders attached, only a pair of AAMRAM's.

The guy was not a mechanic. He was a ground service guy. He was a baggage handler and deicer.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was due to the F-15s or what he planned but he crashed the plane on a largely uninhabited island in the south Puget Sound around 6 miles from Joint Base Lewis/McChord (JBLM).

On of the local news stations has some video of the plane inverted at the top of a loop where he pulls it out just a few feet above the water. Don't know yet if he had any flight hours or not but that's pretty impressive for a mechanic.
It’s true. Fortune favors the foolish. That was badass! I don’t care who you are...

Forum List

Back