Pho

What's Pho?

I bet I wouldn't like it. I only like about 4 things and knuckles ain't one of them.

Do ya like bone marrow?

*gag* I would beat up anyone that tried to serve me any bone gunk.

Are you kidding? Some very pricey gourmet food is built around "bone gunk." You'll never develop a decent ramen broth without it.

I love the stuff!!
Spread it on french bread and it's like meat butter!!
Just dont make the rookie mistake I made the first time...turns out you have to soak em before cooking.

Just ordered 16 lbs of beef knuckles and meaty bones for Pho broth.
It'll simmer for 18 hours on a single burner induction stove top.
Had to order the damn bones online since all the butcher counters are closed but we figured it would be a great time to do it since we're sitting around the house doing nothing. The Wife has already organized the pantry twice and is getting stir crazy.
We bought enough bones to make two double batches figuring we can freeze some since the rest of the recipe is simple.
Anyone who's ever done this chime in on any pitfalls we may encounter or advice on the recipe.
We're going to loosely follow this guys recipe.

Best food ever!

Just ordered 16 lbs of beef knuckles and meaty bones for Pho broth.
It'll simmer for 18 hours on a single burner induction stove top.
Had to order the damn bones online since all the butcher counters are closed but we figured it would be a great time to do it since we're sitting around the house doing nothing. The Wife has already organized the pantry twice and is getting stir crazy.
We bought enough bones to make two double batches figuring we can freeze some since the rest of the recipe is simple.
Anyone who's ever done this chime in on any pitfalls we may encounter or advice on the recipe.
We're going to loosely follow this guys recipe.

Best food ever!

I dont even remember who turned me onto beef Pho,probably the Wife.
But it's been a favorite of mine for years.
When nothing else sounds good? I can always eat beef Pho.

Going to add some oxtail for a bit more richness.
Now you’re talking!

I love the taste of oxtail but by itself it's to greasy.
The guy in the vid mentioned it but it's not in his recipe.
I figure 2 or 3 pieces will do it.
If it gets to greasy I'll cool it and skim the fat off.
Pho is actually the noodle. There are several variations.

Love the rice noodle.
It's so much lighter than your regular Italian noodle.

Going to add some oxtail for a bit more richness.
Now you’re talking!

I love the taste of oxtail but by itself it's to greasy.
The guy in the vid mentioned it but it's not in his recipe.
I figure 2 or 3 pieces will do it.
If it gets to greasy I'll cool it and skim the fat off.

Save that fat! You can do a lot with it.

Yep...
It's like beef tallow from a brisket only richer.
I usually make a quart of tallow a year when I get an especially fatty brisket.

Ask me how I know there are zero cows in your yard. :D

HOA restrictions.
Thank goodness we do not have those.
I strung my neighbor's clothesline. I made it happen.

Wont be long now and we'll have the acreage to do whatever the fuck we want again.
Man I miss those days!
Riding around the property on the jacked up golf cart with rifles and pistols,shooting what the fuck we wanna shoot.
Looking at some properties in Bandera right now.

Ask me how I know there are zero cows in your yard. :D

HOA restrictions.
Thank goodness we do not have those.
I strung my neighbor's clothesline. I made it happen.

Wont be long now and we'll have the acreage to do whatever the fuck we want again.
Man I miss those days!
Riding around the property on the jacked up golf cart with rifles and pistols,shooting what the fuck we wanna shoot.
Looking at some properties in Bandera right now.
We could do that when I was was a kid..do whatever you want, just don't hurt other people.

I wrecked the golf cart, felt so bad. She let me drive it, and I wrecked it. She didn't get mad or anything, and I could drive it later, but it did not feel good.

They had like what..10-15 acres? Hardly anything to shoot on it. Lot of turtles n snakes. Clay dirt..yuck!

I was 5 when I wrecked her golf cart.
She made me some good dinner that night. Oh! I miss her.

Unfortunately the only Pho I've had was way too heavily star anise flavored. Don't know if that is normal...but it kind of turned me off to it. I'm not opposed to a beef, cinnamon, star anise combo...Cincinnati chili might be one of the world's most perfect foods...but in the Pho I had it was overpowering. Is that normal?

Forum List

Back