Phil Collins Remembers the Alamo

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
A London-born Brit cares more about the Alamo, than some left-wingers in Texas. Go figure.

Phil Collins' battle of the Alamo: Genesis frontman is caught in US race row after his donation of £10m worth of memorabilia for museum is accused of 'glorifying myth of a handful of whites against a Mexican horde'​

• Collins, 70, has been obsessed since childhood with the battle and even believes he is a reincarnation of one of those defenders
  • The Genesis frontman donated his hoard is weapons, clothing, letters and other artifacts from the legendary siege of the Alamo of 1836
  • Critics argue the collection helps perpetuate a narrative that focuses only on the battle's white leaders and ignores Latinos, Native Americans and black figures
Critics say Phil Collins battle artefacts help focus on white leaders

1634645810153.png

(Nothing to do with Texas, but the song was pretty cool...)

Last edited:
A London-born Brit cares more about the Alamo, than some left-wingers in Texas. Go figure.

Phil Collins' battle of the Alamo: Genesis frontman is caught in US race row after his donation of £10m worth of memorabilia for museum is accused of 'glorifying myth of a handful of whites against a Mexican horde'​

• Collins, 70, has been obsessed since childhood with the battle and even believes he is a reincarnation of one of those defenders
  • The Genesis frontman donated his hoard is weapons, clothing, letters and other artifacts from the legendary siege of the Alamo of 1836
  • Critics argue the collection helps perpetuate a narrative that focuses only on the battle's white leaders and ignores Latinos, Native Americans and black figures

View attachment 553575

God, even the wording is indicative of the insanity:

'glorifying myth of a handful of whites against a Mexican horde'​

Glorifying a myth? The easily-triggered leftists are a source of never-ending free entertainment. Keep it up. Why do I have to go out to the movies when I have before me a Friday night on USMB?

Kudos to Phil Collins. That was a nice gesture. I don't see anything controversial in it in the least.

Never having been a fan of Collins or Genesis, I had never paid a lot of attention to this song until I saw this particular video almost two years ago. Since cancel culture has become so vicious, and especially now that they are hammering Collins for such a stupid reason, this song perfectly expresses my feeling about what it will be like when we finally rise up.

Buckle up, bitches.

Never having been a fan of Collins or Genesis, I had never paid a lot of attention to this song until I saw this particular video almost two years ago. Since cancel culture has become so vicious, and especially now that they are hammering Collins for such a stupid reason, this song perfectly expresses my feeling about what it will be like when we finally rise up.

Buckle up, bitches.

That epic song sure spawned a lot of covers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=in+this+moment+in+the+air+tonight+cover

View attachment 553575

I hear that the guys defending the Alamo were Trump Supporters.

Phil Collins' battle of the Alamo: Genesis frontman is caught in US race row after his donation of £10m worth of memorabilia for museum is accused of 'glorifying myth of a handful of whites against a Mexican horde'

"Handful of whites"?

"White Men", like Andres Nava? Jose Losoya? Antonio Fuentes? Jose Guerrero? Carlos Espalier? Gregorio Esparza? I can go on, but that is just a start.

And there were even more originally. Antonio Cruz y Arocha was one of the defenders, but he was sent as a courier before the battle started. Brigido Guerrero was a defender, and had already deserted from the Mexican Army to join the defenders. After the battle he convinced the Mexican's that he had been captured and was there as a Prisnoer so he was allowed to live.

Jim Bowie? His wife (widow) was Maria Ursula de Veramendi, a Mexican citizen by birth. Together they had two children. Oh, and his wife? Was the daughter of his business partner, Juan Martin de Veramendi. Who was a high ranking Mexican politician.

At least half of those killed in that battle had taken Mexican wives, and had Mexican children.

This alone shows the absolute stupidity of people like that. "Handful of Whites" indeed. In fact, I would state without a doubt that anybody who said that was themselves a racist, as they are ignoring the fast that in the decades before the Revolution most of those had already integrated themselves as Mexicans. Taken Mexican wives, and had a lot of support from the civilian Mexicans. And they are completely ignoring that because of their obsession of "whites".

thats-racist.gif

Some actual facts about the Alamo:

What a huge lie. Just reading the introduction alone was nothing but a steaming pile of crap.

True fact, two of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence were Jose Navarro and Jose Ruiz. And were also part of the expedition that fought against Spain in the War of Mexican Independence. A war in fact that Santa Anna fought in as a Royalist.

After becoming an independent nation, Mexico was chronically short of money and manpower. And the Mexican State of Coahuila y Tejas was under constant raids by local Indian tribes. They only had 200 soldiers for the entire state, and no money to support the infrastructure to expand that territory. So by 1820 Mexico is the one that started to welcome in the new immigrants.

A significant fee was required to immigrate ($30 US - equivalent to $30,000 US in 2021), become a Mexican citizen, and in exchange they got generous land grants. One large block were British by birth (including Ireland and Scotland), having moved there for the same reasons that the Americans did. However, the discontentment was not just from the "whites". Tejanos also were unhappy, as they were the largest state, even before Tejas was combined with Coahuila. Which as a combined state only had a single seat in the National Legislature.

Imagine Congress deciding to combine Idaho and Wyoming. The new larger state would have half the political influence that they had before. That was a major bone even with the native born Tejanos in the region. And the brutal revolt by Santa Anna to overthrow the Bustamante Government alarmed many across Mexico. And he also started to consolidate all power to himself.

In 1835 Santa Anna dissolved the Constitution, dismissed all legislatures, and disbanded all militias. Then he tried to order all state legislatures to assemble only in Mexico City under his control. Coahuila y Tejas under Governor Agustin Viesca is one of the ones that refused, and ordered his legislature to continue to assemble in Bexar. And in Gonzales, the citizens asked for soldiers to protect them from Indian raids. Then they thought better of that, and decided to take the cannon back. And also to disband the "illegal" militia they had formed for defense. Which led to the very first battle of that conflict. The Battle of Gonzales.

I wonder how many are even aware of that? Because it is obvious that Time Magazine had never heard of that. Or could bother to know that it was not just the "Texans", most of Mexico was revolting at that time.

Burroughs and Stanford are journalists, not historians. I'm disappointed that Time presented their book blurb as if it were fact.

Mushroom is largely correct. Texas was largely unoccupied at the time, and Mexico more or less welcomed in the settlers, only to make increasingly strenuous demands on them after they've already unpacked all of their boxes in the new place. The Mexico/Texas parallel to USA/Canada couldn't be more flawed, and yet Time printed it as sage wisdom.

Good for Phil.

Texas was largely unoccupied at the time, and Mexico more or less welcomed in the settlers, only to make increasingly strenuous demands on them after they've already unpacked all of their boxes in the new place. The Mexico/Texas parallel to USA/Canada couldn't be more flawed, and yet Time printed it as sage wisdom.

Plus most forget that Santa Anna was a brutal dictator who was fighting all over Mexico. When he was defeated by the Texans, he was removed from office. Only to return yet again to power and start to invade Texas once again. Only to be once again defeated, this time in the Mexican-American war where he was once again removed from power.

It was not just the Anglos in Texas, all of Mexico was up in arms with what he was doing. They were the only block however that was far enough away from the central part of the country to break away and become independent. And that was also the only region with a significant Anglo presence, but even those from Mexico that migrated up there for the land grants revolted also. Case in point, Jose Navarro and Jose Ruiz. Two of the singers of the Mexican Declaration of Independence form Spain. Who supported the Texan Revolt and fought in it because they saw Santa Anna as an even bigger tyrant than the king they broke away from in the first place.

A King that Santa Anna adored, fought for as a Royalist, and then emulated in his actions against his own citizens. Including in battle ordering the bugle call of Degüellos, and ordering no quarter would be given. Which only caused more who were on the fence to join the revolt.