Pete Rose

Should the lifetime ban on Pete Rose be lifted?

• Yes, so many cheaterā€™s in baseball it is time

• No, he disgraced the game

• Can someone remind me why all of you hate pineapple on your pizza?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good to see that. Pete was an important part of that Phillies World Series team in 1980. Mike Schmidt:
"
No gimmes. That was the bottom line on Philadelphia Phillies playoff games in 1976, 1977 and 1978. The baseball gods seemed to mock Danny Ozark and his troops with an unending series of numbing, bizarre and cruel finishes.
Each choke, gag, frustration increased the pressure on the veteran corps of Phillies.

Schmidt was smack dab in the middle of all that. Yeah, 1980 was when Michael Jack finally learned how to knock down the gimme, thanks to the help of Pete Rose.

"Before, we always seemed to find a way to fall down even though I thought we were the best team in baseball from 1975 on. We had the best talent. That's why we won. You could look up the numbers. No one won more than we did," Schmidt acknowledged. "I don't think we could have faced the Philadelphia fans if we hadn't won in 1980. That would have been the last straw. Maybe that's why we battled tooth and nail to the end."

"The only difference in 1980 was Pete. He was insurance that we weren't going to lose, not so much that we were going to win," Schmidt said.

"He had always guided his team," Schmidt said. "We'd seen his magic against Boston, against the Yankees, against us in 1976. He'd always come up big. He'd always come out a winner. We'd never had anyone with that kind of winning experience. He was a security blanket for all of us.
"It's kind of strange to describe," Schmidt said. "He couldn't beat you by himself. He couldn't carry a team. He needed help. But, he continually made the situation right for guys around him by pumping them up, giving encouragement. It was never, 'If we win' it was 'When we win' with Pete. There was never a doubt with Pete. He erased our doubts. We all had our doubts because of the way we'd lost them in the three playoffs before."
"I've said it a billion times over the years, he was the most positive influence on my career from the first day I met him," Schmidt said........................................................
Schmidt was a macho asshole. I couldn't stand him. Of course my being a Pirates fan was part of that. I also hated Rose, but admired him and wanted to play like him. Only the other hand, I really admired Steve Carlton. He was mysterious and great. I loved the rare times we beat him.

Last edited:
Schmidt was a macho asshole. I couldn't stand him. Of course my being a Pirates fan was part of that. I also hated Rose, but admired him and wanted to play like him. Only the other hand, I really admired Steve Carlton. He was mysterious and great. I loved the rare times we beat him.
Schmidt never rubbed me the wrong way (I was still a kid). The other teams good players I kinda respected, but I never liked Kent Tekulve and John Candaleria.

Pete Rose is the single most overrated player in the history of baseball. He did one thing well, and only one thing - hit for average. He did not hit for much power. He had an o.k. eye at the plate, but was not the on base machine he could have been. He was not good defensively, was not fast on the basepaths and was almost never even the best player on his team.

He was a guy with a tremendously long career who racked up stats in one category. I wouldnā€™t mind him in the hall of fame, but the guy is a total asshole in every possible way and was not half as good as the nominal baseball fans think he was.

If you lift the ban, how do you ban future offenders? Why have the sign in every MLB clubhouse that says gambling will result in a lifetime ban?

The steroid users should absolutely be banned, their records erased.

Bonds is such an idiot. He would have still been the greatest player of all time, but he threw it away.
It seems pro sports are embracing gambling. Betting on your team to win is fine with me. Inside information is another matter. Pete Rose is to be in Philadelphia on the field on August 7 with the rest of the 1980 Phillies World championship team. He got them over the top when they signed him.

Fine. Let's amend it to say he didn't admit it to the right people. Charlie Gibson doesn't count.

LOL!!

60f5c15e1af52c001e798580.jpg

Your argument gets bitch-slapped so you want to change it??

You're fuckin' pathetic...

I gave it to you. Bitch.
Sigh...sucks to be alt-right doesn't it?..LOL..

What the fuck are you talking about?

You made a statement which was simply untrue. You're just too chickenshit to admit you were wrong, so then you try to restrict the parameters of your argument. How... immature. I can remember my seven year old nephew trying to do that.

And I definitely don't see what "alt-right" has to do with anything.

Be man, admit you were wrong, and move on...

What the fuck are you talking about?

You made a statement which was simply untrue. You're just too chickenshit to admit you were wrong, so then you try to restrict the parameters of your argument. How... immature. I can remember my seven year old nephew trying to do that.

And I definitely don't see what "alt-right" has to do with anything.

Be man, admit you were wrong, and move on...
OMG. I gave it to you. You want to hang me up on details??...I gave it to you. LOL.
And you resort...to douche!!

Rose bet on baseball while he was still an active player and manager

Time doesent change that

No to the Hall of Fame

Fine. Let's amend it to say he didn't admit it to the right people. Charlie Gibson doesn't count.
Actually let stop the argument and admit he did admit to his stupidity and if you believe that Rose doesnā€™t deserve to be reinstated then fine and I can live with that but for me time has passed and with so many cheaterā€™s in the game he deserves forgiveness.

OMG. I gave it to you. You want to hang me up on details??...I gave it to you. LOL.
And you resort...to douche!!

You didn't "give" me anything, dumbass. You said something which simply wasn't true.

And now you're proving to be too big a pussy to simply say "Hey, I was wrong"...

BORED!! I gave it to you shit for brains...but..you are too alt-right to accept it.

Again, you gave me nothing. You couldn't give me anything because nothing is all you had.

And what the fuck is it with the "alt-right" bullshit?

You got a beat down and you think the way to recover is to call me "alt-right"? If you knew anything about me you'd knnow that a monumentally stupid thing for you to say.

You really are a fucking retard, aren't you?

no matter what the guys stats speak for themselves......he deserves to be in,so does shoeless Joe Jackson.....
Jackson threw a world series for gambling interests

What do rogue players have to do to earn your ire?

Again, you gave me nothing. You couldn't give me anything because nothing is all you had.

And what the fuck is it with the "alt-right" bullshit?

You got a beat down and you think the way to recover is to call me "alt-right"? If you knew anything about me you'd knnow that a monumentally stupid thing for you to say.

You really are a fucking retard, aren't you?
BORED!! Jesus Tap Dancing Christ... You have nothing..LOL...

"Who has the most hits in Baseball?"
"Who has the most home runs in Baseball?"

Kids are asking these questions at the Hall of Fame today (more than likely). Not having two of the most prolific players the sport has ever seen enshrined in the Hall of Fame is silly. There is a way to honor the accomplishment without honoring the man. Create a category for "General Induction" and "Induction with Honors".

At some point, the lifetime bans become rather silly and hurtful to the game on the whole.

Forum List

Back