IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
And here it is...

'People Assume I'm White. This is The Racism I See'
Nikki Barthelmess

1634242499623.png

Generally, when people say or do racist things in front of me, they think it's okay. When it is racism from white people, I suspect it is because, in a way, I look like them, so they think I am one of them. But I'm not.

When people joke about or make fun of an immigrant's thick accent in front of me, I think of the way it's difficult for people to understand my grandma. Never mind that the people who are mocking a Spanish speaker tend to only speak one language. Meanwhile, my grandma is fluent in Spanish and English, and even used to be a French translator as well.

When I hear others make judgments about the laziness of immigrants or act as though people who come to this country don't deserve to be here, I recall my grandfather telling me about how he worked tirelessly as an engineer to earn respect and professional opportunities in the United States. A former employer paid him less than what his skills were worth, but my grandpa didn't get angry. He told me he was grateful that the man took advantage of him because without that happening my grandpa wouldn't have had the chance to work and access other opportunities.

Even my siblings, who were born to the same mother and father, have been treated differently than I have. My younger brother was once pulled over by the police because he was driving a car similar to one that was supposedly stolen by a Mexican man. My brother laughed the incident off when he told me about it, but to me it wasn't funny. Maybe sometimes laughing is a way of coping, as is being grateful to be taken advantage of, or brushing off comments as even I have.

Because I, too, smile and turn the other cheek when confronted with this kind of treatment. Once, directly after I told someone that my mother was a first generation American and my grandparents are Mexican, they asked if I was the first person in my family to go to college. I felt angry and embarrassed. But I didn't snap at this woman and tell her she was being racist. I merely let her know that I, in fact, am not the first person on my Mexican side of the family to graduate from college, and then I excused myself from the conversation as fast as I could. I was angry that this woman had the audacity to make such ignorant and offensive comments, but I was also angry at myself.

Racism is not something new to me. I have grappled with my own privilege and my responsibility to correct people for ignorant thinking. It has certainly informed my work as a writer.

Making fun of someones accent isnt racist.
Asking someone if they were the first person in their family to go to college isnt racist.
This is why I tell you and your racist ilk on here that you dont know what racism is.

Holy crap. Welcome to my world.

Both my wife and I are half white, half brown. Our beautiful daughters, obviously, the same. To look at any of us, you can't tell WHAT the hell we are. When people find out our ethnicity, they always say, "I've always WONDERED what you were!" :laugh:

As such, all four of us have MANY times been in conversations when nasty, filthy racist shit was sprayed around like water. MANY times. In every conceivable public/social/business situation. So when people here say that racism no longer exists, I know they're straight up lying.

That's our little advantage. We're like spies. And it's always interesting.

Last edited:
So what?

If I had a nickel for every time I was called a k*** or other antisemitic slur, I'd be a rich man today.

Lib bigots make a lot of mistakes, you've got to cut them a little bit of slack.

I don't take it personally when I'm referred to as a "Christ Killer" and neither should the broad in the OP take things personally either.

And here it is...

Nikki Barthelmess

View attachment 551745

Generally, when people say or do racist things in front of me, they think it's okay. When it is racism from white people, I suspect it is because, in a way, I look like them, so they think I am one of them. But I'm not.

When people joke about or make fun of an immigrant's thick accent in front of me, I think of the way it's difficult for people to understand my grandma. Never mind that the people who are mocking a Spanish speaker tend to only speak one language. Meanwhile, my grandma is fluent in Spanish and English, and even used to be a French translator as well.

When I hear others make judgments about the laziness of immigrants or act as though people who come to this country don't deserve to be here, I recall my grandfather telling me about how he worked tirelessly as an engineer to earn respect and professional opportunities in the United States. A former employer paid him less than what his skills were worth, but my grandpa didn't get angry. He told me he was grateful that the man took advantage of him because without that happening my grandpa wouldn't have had the chance to work and access other opportunities.

Even my siblings, who were born to the same mother and father, have been treated differently than I have. My younger brother was once pulled over by the police because he was driving a car similar to one that was supposedly stolen by a Mexican man. My brother laughed the incident off when he told me about it, but to me it wasn't funny. Maybe sometimes laughing is a way of coping, as is being grateful to be taken advantage of, or brushing off comments as even I have.

Because I, too, smile and turn the other cheek when confronted with this kind of treatment. Once, directly after I told someone that my mother was a first generation American and my grandparents are Mexican, they asked if I was the first person in my family to go to college. I felt angry and embarrassed. But I didn't snap at this woman and tell her she was being racist. I merely let her know that I, in fact, am not the first person on my Mexican side of the family to graduate from college, and then I excused myself from the conversation as fast as I could. I was angry that this woman had the audacity to make such ignorant and offensive comments, but I was also angry at myself.

Racism is not something new to me. I have grappled with my own privilege and my responsibility to correct people for ignorant thinking. It has certainly informed my work as a writer.

First off, I'll state where I'm coming from: I'm white, supposedly, there was, somewhere in our ancestral past, a Chippewa woman (family lore and don't give a crap whether factual or not). So, I'm sticking with white only.
I've seen racism both subtle and overt, here and overseas (I've been all over this planet). It spans the globe, regardless of what race you encounter. Hell, I've seen it in some of my relatives (who I no longer associate with because of it, as they have been critical of who I've been known to associate with).
So, I'm not going to dispute what was said about racist comments, et cetera, but what I will address is the comment regarding her brother and the police interaction. When law enforcement gets a report of a stolen car, the report doesn't just say, "white Dodge Challenger (just an example car) stolen. They are actually given specifics (make, model, year and license plate number). If said stolen car had been stolen long enough for the license plates to be changed, they may indeed stop a similar car, as a precaution, but they almost always are on the hunt for that specific vehicle. But for the sake of argument, we'll say that they did pull over a "similar" vehicle. The question that immediately comes to mind is, of what logic would it be for the cops to pull over, if looking for a white Dodge Challenger (just a reminder that this vehicle is just being used as an example, for those with short memories), to pull over a vehicle that is NOT similar to the one they are looking for?
It's just like those situations whereby the cops get a call whereby there was a burglary/robbery and the perpetrator that fled on foot was black, wearing a gray hoodie, blue jeans and black sneakers and the cops stop and temporarily detain an individual found in that same area, fitting the description......are they to stop people who don't fit the description, just to show they aren't singling out black people?
There are black people that complain that their areas are always being patrolled by the cops. If your area is a "high crime area" they should and the decent black population there appreciate it.

I look enough like a typical southern redneck that I've heard it all before. I know how people talk when they think no one is going to judge them badly. If these right wingers were honest they would admit just how often it happens.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
So what?

If I had a nickel for every time I was called a k*** or other antisemitic slur, I'd be a rich man today.

Lib bigots make a lot of mistakes, you've got to cut them a little bit of slack.

I don't take it personally when I'm referred to as a "Christ Killer" and neither should the broad in the OP take things personally either.
Liberal bigots My butt. they are not liberals.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
And here it is...

Nikki Barthelmess

View attachment 551745

SHE IS white. She IDENTIFY as anything she wants. just like silly white women identify as Cherokee when they are 1/64th injun.

Jews are white.
The Mexican elite are white

Last edited:

Forum List

Back