Paula Deen/Settlement Reached

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
Settlement reached in Paula Deen discrimination lawsuit - CBS News

If anyone can 'translate from legal'--that would be great.

--no costs or fees to either party

--no details on settlement

--He let Jackson's claims of sexual harassment stand, but those were dropped in the deal between the lawyers.

--In her lawsuit, Jackson had claimed Hiers frequently made jokes containing racial slurs at work and prohibited black workers from using the restaurant's front entrance and customer restrooms. She said she was personally offended because she had biracial nieces.

--Attorneys for Deen said in court filings that Jackson's lawsuit was based on "scurrilous and false claims." They said before Jackson filed suit, she threatened to embarrass Deen publicly unless she paid the ex-employee "huge sums of money."

~~~
?? The plaintiff--didn't get as much money as she wanted. maybe millions---and she got some percentage of that.

Last edited:
Well, it says no more deatils of the settlement were released, so she probably paid Jackson off and part of the payoff was to agree that no one could say publicly how much it was.

Well, it says no more deatils of the settlement were released, so she probably paid Jackson off and part of the payoff was to agree that no one could say publicly how much it was.

I know.

The plaintiff was a restaurant manager--making what under $40,000--I can't guess---maybe $250,000.

just nosy--sometimes people can generalize--provide fyi on negotiations.

No costs?

I'd say it cost Deen, at the very least, a good portion of her livelihood and her reputation.

And you have to just love Jackson's (the gal who brought the suit against Deen) statement emphasis mine:

"During a very difficult period in my life the Deen family gave me hope and the opportunity to work to build a brighter future for my family and me," Jackson said in a statement to TODAY.

"I assumed that all of my complaints about the workplace environment were getting to Paula Deen, but I learned during this matter that this was not the case. The Paula Deen I have known for more than eight years, is a woman of compassion and kindness and will never tolerate discrimination or racism of any kind toward anyone. I now know that the workplace environment issues that I raised are being reviewed and will in the future no longer be at issue. I wish Ms. Deen and her family all the best in all of their future endeavors and I am very pleased that this matter has been now been resolved and can now be put behind us."

She assumed her complaints were going to Deen? Really? How naïve... SO she sued...

She says she knows Deen is "a woman of compassion and kindness and will never tolerate discrimination or racism of any kind toward anyone." So why name her in the lawsuit?

Then she wishes Deen "all the best." Sure, after you dragged her through tha mud.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Paula Deen fan, and some of her troubles are her own damn fault, but this was a bullshit lawsuit from the beginning, meant only to extort money from a celebrity.

No costs?

I'd say it cost Deen, at the very least, a good portion of her livelihood and her reputation.

And you have to just love Jackson's (the gal who brought the suit against Deen) statement emphasis mine:

"During a very difficult period in my life the Deen family gave me hope and the opportunity to work to build a brighter future for my family and me," Jackson said in a statement to TODAY.

"I assumed that all of my complaints about the workplace environment were getting to Paula Deen, but I learned during this matter that this was not the case. The Paula Deen I have known for more than eight years, is a woman of compassion and kindness and will never tolerate discrimination or racism of any kind toward anyone. I now know that the workplace environment issues that I raised are being reviewed and will in the future no longer be at issue. I wish Ms. Deen and her family all the best in all of their future endeavors and I am very pleased that this matter has been now been resolved and can now be put behind us."

She assumed her complaints were going to Deen? Really? How naïve... SO she sued...

She says she knows Deen is "a woman of compassion and kindness and will never tolerate discrimination or racism of any kind toward anyone." So why name her in the lawsuit?

Then she wishes Deen "all the best." Sure, after you dragged her through tha mud.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Paula Deen fan, and some of her troubles are her own damn fault, but this was a bullshit lawsuit from the beginning, meant only to extort money from a celebrity.

And for the sweetness in her voice it sounds like miss Jackson got just about how much she wanted.

from what I read about the plaintiff--a Buddhist--not many of those in Savannah, GA.

some sort of dysfunctional life--expressed gratitude to PD and Bubba for giving her a chance. something, something, something--wanted an increase in salary and then filed this lawsuit.

Now working at some restaurant in Atlanta.

From watching the Food Channel--some pretty hard, tough, competitive people work in that industry.

Anyway--those are the conclusions I drew about the plaintiff. Opportunistic and a sleaze of some kind.

It also sounds like her attorney is a sleaze--couldn't release the N-word bomb to a reputable source--I think it was released to the Enquirer or something like that.

http://www.eonline.com/news/436227/paula-deen-s-accuser-5-things-to-know-about-lisa-jackson

<UPDATE: Lisa&#8217;s attorney tells us the tax liens were her ex-husband&#8217;s due to underestimated quarterly taxes and got tied to her because of their marriage and joint tax returns. Lisa&#8217;s ex takes full responsibility for the taxes that were owed during their marriage, and a payment plan with automatic transfer to the IRS was arranged to repay the amount owed.

The woman who filed a lawsuit against Paula Deen and her brother Bubba Hiers has a checkered financial past riddled with tax liens, RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned.

Lisa Jackson, 48, has owed a total of $63,948 in both Georgia state taxes and federal taxes with the IRS dating from 2001 to 2005.

While some may argue this makes her appear as a disgruntled employee looking to cash in on Paula Deen Enterprises, nearly all of the tax liens have been released or settled.

On March 5, Lisa filed a lawsuit in Savannah, Georgia, claiming of a shocking pattern of alleged racism, including the use of the N word, sexual harassment and infliction of emotional distress and assault while holding her General Manager position at Uncle Bubba&#8217;s Oyster House.>

Last edited:
From the link in the OP:
"A document filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Savannah, Ga., said both sides agreed to drop the lawsuit "without any award of costs or fees to any party."

It seems the lawsuit was dropped and no monetary award was given to the 'lady' that filed the suit. In other words, there was no basis for it to go to court.

Like hjmick said above, Deen has had a major dent put in her reputation and her business. Defamation of character comes to mind.

From the link in the OP:
"A document filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Savannah, Ga., said both sides agreed to drop the lawsuit "without any award of costs or fees to any party."

It seems the lawsuit was dropped and no monetary award was given to the 'lady' that filed the suit. In other words, there was no basis for it to go to court.

Like hjmick said above, Deen has had a major dent put in her reputation and her business. Defamation of character comes to mind.

I read it that way the first time--then read it again.

The amount was not disclosed--there was an amount reached--neither party paid court costs--not sure why that was important.

Just what would 'shut this woman up'--I am curious. Probably will never know--

eta:
NEWS: PAULA DEEN BEING SUED FOR $1.2 MILLION

so that might have been ? 10x the amount they ever thought they would receive--the attorney would get ? 40% and plaintiff whatever was left?

Last edited:
Deen's accuser did the same thing about M. Jackson and that kids parents who wanted money so they used their son to ruin him. Settlement, all is well....except one party is ruined forever, rep wise.

so many examples of 'sleaziness'.

It's disgusting.

I am not sure I believe those involved in exposing Filner--guess they are telling the truth. How it is --that you don't slap him in the face or scream--I'm not certain.

Much that I will never understand---all involved in the Petraeus scandal. and so on.

Now it is being reported that the plaintiff admits that PD never tolerated discrimination.

??
-That was part of the 'settlement'--admit you manipulated the facts and we will pay?

I found a link but for whatever reasons--technical problems on my end --couldn't c&p.

Certain that Paula Deen will now move on.

Again--there are no words.

What lack of character enables people to do things like this?

I can guess but it would fall into the category of --things I choose to forget but can never forgive-wouldn't even try. Cold--all I think I would feel is cold.

Forum List

Back