Patent Conning Towers

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
th
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M61774d8276cfa6fd319200ab46c17929o0&pid=Api&w=239&h=239

The details in the patent story is like a submarine; you only see the conning tower while the destructive power remains below the surface:

“Patent owners can prevent you from owning anything” is the headline.

The issue is that Lexmark was selling its patented cartridges with a stated restriction of “single use only.”

That means, according to the ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, you can buy the cartridges and use them, but you can only return them to the patent owner. You cannot recycle them as many do.

Surprise! You bought it, but you don't own it
Posted By Bob Unruh On 02/21/2016 @ 3:31 pm

Surprise! You bought it, but you don’t own it

Staying with my analogy, ink cartridges are torpedoes while the computer itself is the submarine.

Everybody knows they do not own real property because the government can confiscate property for not paying property taxes. More recently, offend an EPA bureaucrat and you will find out real fast who owns “your property.”

Years ago I posted a few messages about others using my a computer after I paid for it. Even then, I never felt that I owned my computer. Spam mail enters my home without my permission. The US Postal Service does the same thing through the mailbox, but junk mail is not offensive in that you do not have to pay for anything that is unsolicited. I throw most junk mail in the recycle barrel. More often than not I return the “no postage required” envelopes. In that way the junk mail hustlers pay the freight both ways. I have not figured out a way to make computer spam hustlers pay.

In addition to spam, it really annoys me when a mysterious hand “upgrades” my computer. Nothing annoys me more than a stranger telling me “Please do not turn off your computer.”

The concept of selling something while retaining ownership is not new.

Crooner/bandleader Rudy Vallee (1901 - 1986) owned the rights to the song As Time Goes By. The song was a big hit for Vallee in the early 1930s:

"As Time Goes By"- RUDY VALLEE

Vallee sold the rights to Warner Brothers Studio for the movie Casablanca. The studio hoped to make big profits selling sheet music, etc.

Rudy Vallee was known for hating a nickel because it wasn’t a quarter; so when the movie and the song turned out to be big hits Vallee approached Jack Warner (1892 - 1978 ) and asked for an additional payment. Warner replied “Would you have returned my money if the song was a flop?” or words to that effect. Jack was nobody’s fool.

I was reminded of the Vallee/Warner story after reading this some years ago:

“. . . the California Resale Royalties Act, requiring anyone reselling a piece of fine art who lives in the state, or who sells the art there for $1,000 or more, to pay the artist 5 percent of the resale price.”

Every movie mogul was dancing in their graves especially since one of them observed that the motion picture business was the only business where you sell a product and still own it. In the land of screwballs who think their state is a giant artist colony makes sense for California to have a Resale Royalties Act.

In California the number of kooks per thousand has reached critical mass. If the oceans had as much mercury in them as California has kooks every fish would be dead. The kook factor is worse in California than it is in every other state because every kook combines their weird beliefs with the certain knowledge they are artists. It all started in the motion picture industry passing off its product as art.

I always wondered if a screwy law will find its way to the US Supreme Court should a secondary seller object to paying the 5 percent?

To my way of looking at it an artist who sells his work is no different than an author who sells his copyrights. Once sold, he has no claim to any profits made by the new owner.

I have ten lithographs adorning the walls of my home. Each one is signed, dated, and numbered by the artist. Remind me not to sell them in California lest the artist’s heirs come out of the woodwork and demand a piece of the action.

120573156694.jpg

https://www.antiquesnavigator.com/ebay/images/2010/120573156694.jpg

The biggest drawback in buying art, antiques, rare books, or even Bossons Heads is the amount of money your investment would have earned had it remained in the bank. I’m not talking van Gogh and Picasso. Very few people in the world have the money, or the inclination, to buy art by the masters. Most of us buy “art” because we enjoy looking at it, or we need a wall decoration to brighten up blank space.

Assuming you will keep your treasure(s) for decades —— turning a profit is not the goal when buying nor should it be. My first litho cost $400 dollars in the early ‘70s. Were I to sell it today I would have to add unrealized interest to the original purchase price just to break even.

Customers

Every time an “expert appraiser” on the Antiques Road Show prices an item in the thousands and tens of thousands, I shout “Where are the customers?”

The appraiser always adds “If sold at auction.” which tells me what that show is all about.

Private sales are not all that common when the asking price goes into the hundreds. Forget about it when it comes to thousands. Check eBay and you’ll see that most items sell for less than $200. Were I to sell my prints at auction the auction house would take a big bite out of the proceeds. In effect, auction houses never invest a penny; so every item they sell absorbs the interest you never got. That is a clear profit made from your investment. They call it a sales commission.

Dealers are not much better. They pay so little for an item they make a bundle out of your investment. I can always spot a dealer who bids on a litho like the ones I own. They never bid more than the original purchase price; more often than not they bid a few dollars less.

Anyway, selling valuable art in California or anywhere else has to be a crap shoot because resale laws are just getting started.

Congressmen Propose National Resale Royalty Act for Artists
by Jillian Steinhauer on February 26, 2014

Congressmen Propose National Resale Royalty Act for Artists

I can see the day when Florsheim comes after me for a taste if I sell a slightly used pair of shoes at a garage sale.

Incidentally, photographers do not need a law. They can run off a few copies as long as they own the negatives. I’m not sure if photographers are entitled to some dough after they sell the negatives. In any event you have to be one dumb dude to a buy photograph without getting the negative, or at least see it destroyed before handing over the money.

Here is an interesting “art” situation.

World War Two ended 71 years ago. So what happens when art the Nazis stole show up after no one is left who was alive in WWII? How many generations of heirs can make a claim? Presumably, courts in different countries will make different decision?

Here’s another on that does not involve art. How come the government claims 90 percent of the gold recovered from European sailing ships that sank hundreds of years ago? Remember that there was no USA when those ships went down in what is now our territorial waters. So how come Spain, France, etc. have no claim? Better still, how come the countries where the gold was mined cannot make a claim?

Frankly, I think the whole damn concept should be abolished before the United Nations claims jurisdiction over everything.

Finally:

Put the issue in perspective with one question: Did Nazis judges have the Right to order Picasso to paint their morality rather than paint his own in Guernica?

Judges & Tea Party Conservatives

Patrick Goodenough’s report is much more technical than my comments about patents:

WIPO is a low-profile but important Geneva-based body dealing with patents and intellectual property (IP). Gurry, an Australian, was re-elected “by consensus” in 2014 to a second six-year term at the helm which runs through 2020.

Before his re-election, five U.S. lawmakers wrote to Secretary of State John Kerry urging the administration not to back a second term, arguing that Gurry’s “erratic and secretive behavior and colossal lack of judgment must disqualify him from receiving support from the U.S. government.”

The five said WIPO’s shipments of U.S.-made computer equipment to Iran and North Korea “would have put any U.S. citizen behind bars, but when caught in the act, Gurry did not stop or even apologize.”

“Instead he claimed that U.S. law was of no concern to him or WIPO.​

The fact that John Kerry knew what was taking place tells me that he and the sewer rat wanted somebody like Francis Gurry running the WIPO for six more years.
Frankly, I think the whole damn concept should be abolished before the United Nations claims jurisdiction over everything.
Bureaucrats working for United Nations agencies always do whatever they please without fear of punishment. In the case of patents the United Nations has the authority to give patent-protected technology to America’s enemies.

You have to be naive not to know that the UN is careful to establish plausible deniability whenever there is a danger they might get caught doing something against America:

The explosive allegations against the head of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Francis Gurry, are also the subject of an internal U.N. oversight investigation, whose findings are expected to be released shortly.​

House Hearing Will Probe U.N. Agency’s Illicit Tech Transfers to Iran, North Korea
By Patrick Goodenough | February 23, 2016 | 4:26 AM EST

House Hearing Will Probe U.N. Agency’s Illicit Tech Transfers to Iran, North Korea

UPDATE

Sad to say very few Americans know about the things our own traitors help the United Nations get away with. Media is so busy burying the country under garbage about the presidential wannabes I’ll wager that not more than a few thousand Americans know about WIPO, and that is only one UN agency working against this country. Alex Newman’s entire piece is a must read; so I am only going to excerpt one item:

“Funding will be used as leverage,” he pledged in response to a question by WND. “A lot of times it’s the only thing that gets their attention.”​

Congress probes U.N. tech transfers to tyrants
Posted By Alex Newman On 03/06/2016 @ 9:16 pm

Congress probes U.N. tech transfers to tyrants

Funding my ass. Congress never stops funding anything, least of all the United Nations. The only way to stop the traitors in our government is to pass H.R. 75

Text of H.R. 75 (113th): American Sovereignty Restoration Act of 2013 (Introduced version) - GovTrack.us

Should you bother to read about WIPO know this: Even if America wins the war our enemies are preparing the number of dead Americans caused by the United Nations will be in the tens of millions not to mention our major cities looking like Hiroshima after the bomb.

th
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M0823656e31770324d0cffeaff4b2b423o0&pid=Api&w=239&h=239

Finally, that piece of scum in the White House gave INTERPOL diplomatic immunity to operate in this country. I know they are not working to identify American traitors. The question is: Does the FBI know what INTERPOL is up to on behalf of the United Nations?

World War Two ended 71 years ago. So what happens when art the Nazis stole show up after no one is left who was alive in WWII? How many generations of heirs can make a claim?
Slavery in America ended 151 years ago. No one who was a slave in 1865 is alive today. No matter. You can bet that the reparation hustlers will try to cash in on this:

The legislation, titled the Holocaust Expropriated Art Recovery Act, or HEAR Act, seeks to build upon current efforts by the U.S. government to pave the way for survivors to have their claims reviewed and ruled upon.​

Congress Moves to Spur Return of Artwork Stolen By Nazis
New bill paves way for justice decades after Holocaust
BY: Adam Kredo
April 8, 2016 2:15 pm

Congress Moves to Spur Return of Artwork Stolen By Nazis

Try this one for size. Descendants of slaves make a claim on all of the cotton their ancestors picked.

UPDATE

730x420-868470e389b3f503dc2645049ddcaa4d.jpg

(AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
http://cdn.washingtonexaminer.biz/cache/730x420-868470e389b3f503dc2645049ddcaa4d.jpg

The bill will "help ensure that justice for Holocaust survivors and their families is achieved," Ronald Lauder, chairman of the Commission for Art Recovery and president of the World Jewish Restitution Organization, said in a statement.​

Senate passes bill to help recover Nazi-stolen art
By Gabby Morrongiello
12/10/16 3:12 PM

Senate passes bill to help recover Nazi-stolen art

The tragedy in stolen art is that the government cannot ensure justice for anybody who suffers from today’s violent criminals, yet they don their halos and pretend justice for survivors trying to recover a piece of art. Question:
How many generations of heirs can make a claim?
At the risk of handing my opposites an opportunity to preach their phoney compassion, I suggest a statute of limitations on claims? I think 200 years (ten generations) from 1945 is fair.

My suggestion is motivated by justice for my descendants in the year 2245 who might find a piece of PROPERTY from the Nazi era —— then have it confiscated. After all, art is nothing more than property. The value placed on art converts it to valuable property in the materialistic world of legislators.

Finally, check out art museums charging admissions if you think art is not property. The graph in this link shows that tax dollars fund 60.59 percent of art museums. Direct support 24.4 percent and 36.5 percent tax deductible charitable “giving.” Direct support is obvious. The larger amount is also passed onto the backs of everybody.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/a...ked_How_Are_Museums_Supported_Financially.pdf

Last edited:

Forum List

Back