Parents! Your thoughts please...

I probably wouldn't talk to the mom. I'd just not give the binkie to him while he was at my house. If you have him all day, than eventually he'll get used to not having it and stop asking for it.

Wrong answer IMO. Think about it for a second. What you’re saying is do not talk to Mom, but go behind her back and fix what you may think is a problem. As a Parent, if a day care provider did that to my child, I’d be furious, as I’m sure you would be.

I just started my daycare and have 2 kids already, a brother and sister. So far, these are the only two. Being is I am new at this, and this has been their first week, I don't want to get off to a bad start.

The little boy just turned 2, and still has a paci. Not unusual, since Nathan used one every so often to bed but not during the daytime after he turned 1, continued until about 2 (he's 3 now).

Anyway, the way he holds the thing in his mouth, is like a smoker holds a cigarette in their mouth-to the side.

It looks like he has done that for quite some time, because his teeth and mouth shape that way when he talks. You can tell his teeth have kind of molded themselves around the nipple. When he talks without it, he talks only with half his mouth open, as if it is in his mouth.

Basically, it is impacting his teeth and the way they are aligned. When he smiles, the ones that go around the paci are affected so much that you can't see them, and it looks like he only has half his teeth. I can tell this affects his eating and some of his speech. The thing is-do I say something to mom or leave it alone? This kid will have serious dental problems in the future if this doesn't get corrected.

A lot of times with kids it's a test of wills.

I think I'd start moving it to the other side of the kids mouth, and I'd do it relentlessly. If the kid immediately moved it back after I moved it a dozen or so times, I'd take it out. If he cried, well, then he cries. He's your's while he's there.

A lot of times with kids it's a test of wills.

I think I'd start moving it to the other side of the kids mouth, and I'd do it relentlessly. If the kid immediately moved it back after I moved it a dozen or so times, I'd take it out. If he cried, well, then he cries. He's your's while he's there.

No, he's not. And you are fucking cruel.

Either I'm nuts or you don't have a kid.

I have four

boy 13, girl 10, boy 8, boy 4

AND after this rant of yours: I'm surprised you'd even ask.

Being a parent is the hardest single thing I have have ever done in my life and I do not recommend it to anybody. Married or single. In some ways I have it easier than married couples do. My word goes. I don't have any conflict with a father to have to deal with. There is no father. It's just me.

Why anybody would purposely put themselves in that position I will never understand. Being a parent is so hard. It's not the least bit rewarding. It's worry, and guilt, and more worry, and it never ends. If we're lucky, our kids won't turn out to be drug addicts or hookers or serial killers. If we're really lucky, they'll grow up to be decent people who can make their own way in the world, and not hate us too much.

Wrong answer IMO. Think about it for a second. What you’re saying is do not talk to Mom, but go behind her back and fix what you may think is a problem. As a Parent, if a day care provider did that to my child, I’d be furious, as I’m sure you would be.

My son and daughter bring friends over all the time.

A few are allowed to cuss at home, they don't at my house and they know this because I don't allow it. I'm fixing what I see as a problem, as least while they're in my home.

Many moms are very sensitive to critizism especially about pacifiers, I don't know why but they just are. So yes, I'd probably just "missplace" it while the child was with me. I wouldn't let them scream for it and refuse to give it back or anything like that because that's just mean. We could have a binkie hunt or something and "find" it if he got to upset.

I'm not sure it was the right response for a daycare provider. Personally, I wouldn't worry about that type of thing, figuring the parents would have to pay for it down the road.

However, I would say that when kids were in my home, visiting or because their mom asked me for a favor, my rules were followed.

If a kid brought a toy they didn't want to 'share', it went on top of the refridgerator until they were going home. My own knew that if they had something 'special' it had to be put away, in a 'no play zone', otherwise all were for all.

I don't see a lot different here, 'in our house we do not use pacis, etc. after the age of 2, we consider that 'a big kid. I'll give it to you when you go home.' Of course he'll probably tell mom, then ???

My son and daughter bring friends over all the time.

A few are allowed to cuss at home, they don't at my house and they know this because I don't allow it. I'm fixing what I see as a problem, as least while they're in my home.

Many moms are very sensitive to critizism especially about pacifiers, I don't know why but they just are. So yes, I'd probably just "missplace" it while the child was with me. I wouldn't let them scream for it and refuse to give it back or anything like that because that's just mean. We could have a binkie hunt or something and "find" it if he got to upset.

Big difference in having kids (friends) over, and being a day care provider, apples oranges.IMO

Every parent and child are individuals...so every parent with the small exception to the few(That should never have kids) should have the say so on how they raise their kid...after all they live with them 24/7...I am not a believer in the theory that it takes a village to raise a child...nor only women or men can raise a child better...I was a single Dad and still a single Grandpa...and my kids are doing fine..thank you very much!:cof:

No, he's not. And you are fucking cruel.

Yes, he is, and moving a pacifier to another spot in a kids mouth is cruel, to offset something that appears to be having a harmful affect?

What the fuck is wrong with your head? Moron.

However, I would say that when kids were in my home, visiting or because their mom asked me for a favor, my rules were followed.

I don't see a lot different here, 'in our house we do not use pacis, etc. after the age of 2, we consider that 'a big kid. I'll give it to you when you go home.' Of course he'll probably tell mom, then ???

Oh gee Kathianne, you're cruel... according to nt250. I said basically the same thing and got blasted.

Every parent and child are individuals...so every parent with the small exception to the few(That should never have kids) should have the say so on how they raise their kid...after all they live with them 24/7...I am not a believer in the theory that it takes a village to raise a child...nor only women or men can raise a child better...I was a single Dad and still a single Grandpa...and my kids are doing fine..thank you very much!:cof:

I'm not disagreeing with your basic premise, that parents should be the final say. However, it's obvious if the kid is in daycare, the parents' are not with that child 24/7. Max: 8/24. 8 in daycare/8 sleeping.

I'm not disagreeing with your basic premise, that parents should be the final say. However, it's obvious if the kid is in daycare, the parents' are not with that child 24/7. Max: 8/24. 8 in daycare/8 sleeping.

When a parent places their kids in a 'Day Care' they have every right to advise 'Their' employee of their expectations and limitations...so to say their child is out of their control while in day care is bogus...imo...State what you expect of the provider...if they say they cannot abide..then find one who will!

Simple really in todays world of single parents!

When a parent places their kids in a 'Day Care' they have every right to advise 'Their' employee of their expectations and limitations...so to say their child is out of their control while in day care is bogus...imo...State what you expect of the provider...if they say they cannot abide..then find one who will!

Simple really in todays world of single parents!
and I said different where? Although not just 'single parents'.

and I said different where? Although not just 'single parents'.

Maybe it is just me...but I spent one hellava lot more time with my kids and grandkids then just 8hrs per day on average...hell I can't count the number of hot dates I cancelled to be with the kids to cheer their competitions and other worthy accomplishments...more along the lines of 16 hrs per day...in my house anyway!

Maybe it is just me...but I spent one hellava lot more time with my kids and grandkids then just 8hrs per day on average...hell I can't count the number of hot dates I cancelled to be with the kids to cheer their competitions and other worthy accomplishments...more along the lines of 16 hrs per day...in my house anyway!
So they weren't in day care or they didn't go to school or they didn't get 8 hour sleep?

So they weren't in day care or they didn't go to school or they didn't get 8 hour sleep?

Day care or school(work) is max plus or minus 8hrs per day...that leaves 16hrs of being there for them...like ya don't check on em' while asleep...was this not the infamous Colorado case that was in the news recently or what?...just cause' they are in bed... does a parent forget to check on em'...albeit I survived on 4hrs sleep per night 'average' during the growing up era...***sigh***
I know now you will attack the 4hr period...***sigh*** try good locks and being a 'Light" sleeper...lol:poke:

You guys are off track...post #1 I just started my DAY care, way different than private homes.

Not really. It's in her home. Providers have to be open about their expectations and demands as well as the parents. If not, MAJOR problems. Home daycare is much different than a daycare centre, on many levels. Both have their pros and cons and Im not so sure a centre would be so caring about losing a paci, if they allow it at all at his age. Then again all centres are different, so who knows. A lot depends on the staff and what they think is aga appropriate and what isn't. same as home care I guess.

Day care or school(work) is max plus or minus 8hrs per day...that leaves 16hrs of being there for them...like ya don't check on em' while asleep...was this not the infamous Colorado case that was in the news recently or what?...just cause' they are in bed... does a parent forget to check on em'...albeit I survived on 4hrs sleep per night 'average' during the growing up era...***sigh***
I know now you will attack the 4hr period...***sigh*** try good locks and being a 'Light" sleeper...lol:poke:

I was stay at home. But when they started school:

up: 7

School: 8

End of school: 3

Bed: 8

Homework: 1/2-1 hour (talking little kids, k-3)

Dinner: 45 min-1 hour (we ate as family and excused as such)

Bath: 7-8 (3 kids)

I was a stay at home and didn't have that kind of time.

As for babies/toddlers in day care-add in diapers, etc.

Arch, you are grasping. Unless you let your small children/grandchildren/great grand children/great great great grandchildren get very little sleep.

Then again, there were wars to be fought.

I was stay at home. But when they started school:

up: 7

School: 8

End of school: 3

Bed: 8

Homework: 1/2-1 hour (talking little kids, k-3)

Dinner: 45 min-1 hour (we ate as family and excused as such)

Bath: 7-8 (3 kids)

I was a stay at home and didn't have that kind of time.

As for babies/toddlers in day care-add in diapers, etc.

Arch, you are grasping. Unless you let your small children/grandchildren/great grand children/great great great grandchildren get very little sleep.

Then again, there were wars to be fought.

Okay Kathianne...I give up...we could dissect this to hr to hr minute to minute second to second...still does not change the 'general rule' of being a good and caring parent...stay alert and give all ya have to give...bottom line hun...now ya want to fool around and make up for lost time...lol Never mind ya hate me...thats okay I still have fun with or without ya...:beer:

New Topics

Forum List

Back