Brick Gold

Gold Member
Jan 30, 2022

Yigal-Ozeri17[1].jpg
yigal-ozeri-artist-6.jpg
delicate-beings-660x550.jpg

Link to photorealist painter thread.

Link to photorealist painter thread.

Photorealism bombed. It was supposed to be the next big thing, but people realized that it's just not ART.

Photorealism bombed. It was supposed to be the next big thing, but people realized that it's just not ART.
I am reminded of the great paintings of the late 19th century before industrialisation and abstract minimalist art killed the painting artists evolving narrative that continued unbroken since Da Vinci and Michelangelo. This hyper-real resurgence is the antidote to the eshers picassos and van goghs out there that ruled the 20th century. Its art, probably too real for some, but great artists rarely reach their peak while alive. I think they know this, the corporate packaging poptarts will be forgotten and their fortunes great but the world will remember the real greats.

Personally I am deeply impressed with photoreal and hyper-real painting and hope it becomes something as captivating as renaissance art. This here is the beginning.

I am reminded of the great paintings of the late 19th century before industrialisation and abstract minimalist art killed the painting artists evolving narrative that continued unbroken since Da Vinci and Michelangelo. This hyper-real resurgence is the antidote to the eshers picassos and van goghs out there that ruled the 20th century. Its art, probably too real for some, but great artists rarely reach their peak while alive. I think they know this, the corporate packaging poptarts will be forgotten and their fortunes great but the world will remember the real greats.

Problem is I can pick up a camera and take a picture and it looks the same.

What is art? Art is human creativity. Copying a photo is NOT human creativity.

You might not like human creativity, that's fine. But you need to understand what it is you do like. It's not art. It's skillful, yet, you're impressed by it, yes, but what's the point?

Good art is something that makes people talk. Nobody talks about hyper realism because there's nothing to say.

"Oh, wow, it's looks just like a photo and.... er.... that's it." Conversation over.

Problem is I can pick up a camera and take a picture and it looks the same.

What is art? Art is human creativity. Copying a photo is NOT human creativity.

You might not like human creativity, that's fine. But you need to understand what it is you do like. It's not art. It's skillful, yet, you're impressed by it, yes, but what's the point?

Good art is something that makes people talk. Nobody talks about hyper realism because there's nothing to say.

"Oh, wow, it's looks just like a photo and.... er.... that's it." Conversation over.
You have no imagination.

You have no imagination.

I do. I do art all the time.

The problem is a hyper realistic picture has no imagination.

We don't need to make a photo out of paint, because we can make a photo out of other stuff much easier.

Making something that uses human creativity, that's art. Making a chair isn't creative, it's skill based. Just like hyper realism.

Art is human creativity. Copying a photo is NOT human creativity.

Did he copy a photo -- OR -- is an original scene created in painstaking detail and incredible technical ability?

How different this from a painter using a photo of a subject as the model but without the ability to reproduce the excruciating detail?

We don't need to make a photo out of paint, because we can make a photo out of other stuff much easier.

Making something that uses human creativity, that's art. Making a chair isn't creative, it's skill based. Just like hyper realism.
Dunno but I like it. I like Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Monet and a bit of Dali, but why isn't "capturing a moment" imaginative? Those three I admit I don't find that appealing; not "moments" I would consider showing depth; they looked "posed"...........but still fair enough and fantastic skill. I'd like to see him address something like "The Girl with the Pearl Ear-ring".........something that captures a rare "something"; a moment of the heart as they say. Those three are just "moments of youth"; OK but not very deep. Can you imagine an aged Matron at her husband's side while he's dying? Or realising that one's child isn't going to live? Or a release from some bondage or long suffering? OK; good, but gimme more!!!!!

Greg

ps: an artist I know does feminist art; calls it "vaginal"; I've seen her work in a gallery. NOT MY STYLE!!!! lol

Greg

Forum List

Back