P words

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I have never understood why English has words that start with the letter "P" yet the "P" has no part of the sound of the word. For example pneumonia. English is a very versatile language but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Or Ptolemy.Or even Psoriasis. What the hell was wrong with them?

I have never understood why English has words that start with the letter "P" yet the "P" has no part of the sound of the word. For example pneumonia. English is a very versatile language but this makes absolutely no sense to me. Or Ptolemy.Or even Psoriasis. What the hell was wrong with them?

Why are letters anywhere in a word silent? Language can be silly. :p

It’s because a lot of modern english is a hodge podgenof words from other languages, old misspellings, and evolved old english spoken by foreigners. We need an American language with no silent letters, that only Americans are allowed to speak.

The same thing goes for words like knives and knights. They start with K but sound like they start with N.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Then there are words like physical and psycho. They start with P and sound like they start with F and S.

Here's one that always bugs me when I think about it: Why do we have a letter c? The letters s and k make the sounds that c can, so why have the c?

Other than something like the unique ch sound, it's a superfluous letter. ;)

• Banned
Here's one that always bugs me when I think about it: Why do we have a letter c? The letters s and k make the sounds that c can, so why have the c?

Other than something like the unique ch sound, it's a superfluous letter. ;)
So it won't have to be called Kaptain Krunch!

Well when you solve this one try moving on to the bigger question. Why is it Filipinos live in the Philippines? Why not Philippinos living in the Filipines?

• Banned
And what about the word "debris"? The "s" is not sounded.

Forum List

Back