OPINION: Roseanne Barr's racism is part of a legacy dating back to Thomas Jefferson

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Sophia A. Nelson Roseanne Barr's racism is part of a legacy dating back to Thomas Jefferson — and that Trump is making worse

Something very ugly is happening in our nation right now with respect to black Americans. Is this what America has become, or what America always was?

On Tuesday, May 29 global coffee chain Starbucks closed down around 8,000 of its stores in the U.S. for “unconscious bias” training. On the very same day, ABC cancelled its highly rated reboot “Roseanne” over the sitcom star’s racist Twitter rant (or as she called it, a “joke”) about former presidential advisor Valerie Jarrett.

While Roseanne Barr may be finally facing the consequences for her actions, the same cannot be said for millions of others in this country. Indeed, something very ugly is happening in our nation right now with respect to black Americans. And that ugliness cannot be swept under the carpet anymore by the rest of America.

Obviously this race problem did not begin or end in a Philadelphia coffee shop (or the social media feed of a sitcom star), but the public arrest of two black men sitting quietly in a Starbucks in April is yet more evidence of a situation that can no longer be ignored. To tackle this problem, however, we have to understand its origins: What we are confronting in 2018 is in fact the continuation of an American legacy dating back to the 18th century.

As president and slave owner Thomas Jefferson noted in his “Notes on the State of Virginia” in the early 1780s:

"It will probably be asked, why not retain and incorporate the blacks into the state, and thus save the expense of supplying, by importation of white settlers, the vacancies they will leave? Deep rooted prejudices entertained by the whites; ten thousand recollections, by the blacks, of the injuries they have sustained; new provocations; the real distinctions which nature has made; and many other circumstances, will divide us into parties, and produce convulsions which will probably never end but in the extermination of the one or the other race."
Jefferson, like many of his white peers, considered blacks inferior to whites and feared a race war would ensue if they were emancipated. Jefferson believed that slaves would retaliate against their former masters and thus embraced the idea of "colonization": arranging for transportation of free blacks to Africa, regardless of their birthplace. Slavery, Jefferson wrote, was “demoralizing to both White and Black society.”

From the beginning, the Founding Fathers believed not only that slaves were inherently less than, but that they would stage an uprising if they were ever allowed to be free. This sense of superiority, mixed with a racially charged fear of free African Americans, continues to inform society today.

Continued

Oh stop with this crap. You idiot loons have worn it out.

Racist, Racist Racist!!!!!! Just stop fueling it and grow the fuck up

Stop supporting racists.
FB_IMG_1527762660751.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

how can you conflate Barr's comment with Trump and Trump voters?

That would be the same as stating that Obama and Obama voters hate whitey b/c Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan etc

Stop supporting racists.View attachment 196018

I have no idea who Brian Sproul is and I've never liked Rosanne.

I judge on character not skin color and I'm here to tell ya I know blacks I'd choose over most leftists any day if the week

Take your BS and stick it up your ass

Sophia A. Nelson Roseanne Barr's racism is part of a legacy dating back to Thomas Jefferson — and that Trump is making worse

Something very ugly is happening in our nation right now with respect to black Americans. Is this what America has become, or what America always was?

On Tuesday, May 29 global coffee chain Starbucks closed down around 8,000 of its stores in the U.S. for “unconscious bias” training. On the very same day, ABC cancelled its highly rated reboot “Roseanne” over the sitcom star’s racist Twitter rant (or as she called it, a “joke”) about former presidential advisor Valerie Jarrett.

While Roseanne Barr may be finally facing the consequences for her actions, the same cannot be said for millions of others in this country. Indeed, something very ugly is happening in our nation right now with respect to black Americans. And that ugliness cannot be swept under the carpet anymore by the rest of America.

Obviously this race problem did not begin or end in a Philadelphia coffee shop (or the social media feed of a sitcom star), but the public arrest of two black men sitting quietly in a Starbucks in April is yet more evidence of a situation that can no longer be ignored. To tackle this problem, however, we have to understand its origins: What we are confronting in 2018 is in fact the continuation of an American legacy dating back to the 18th century.

As president and slave owner Thomas Jefferson noted in his “Notes on the State of Virginia” in the early 1780s:

"It will probably be asked, why not retain and incorporate the blacks into the state, and thus save the expense of supplying, by importation of white settlers, the vacancies they will leave? Deep rooted prejudices entertained by the whites; ten thousand recollections, by the blacks, of the injuries they have sustained; new provocations; the real distinctions which nature has made; and many other circumstances, will divide us into parties, and produce convulsions which will probably never end but in the extermination of the one or the other race."
Jefferson, like many of his white peers, considered blacks inferior to whites and feared a race war would ensue if they were emancipated. Jefferson believed that slaves would retaliate against their former masters and thus embraced the idea of "colonization": arranging for transportation of free blacks to Africa, regardless of their birthplace. Slavery, Jefferson wrote, was “demoralizing to both White and Black society.”

From the beginning, the Founding Fathers believed not only that slaves were inherently less than, but that they would stage an uprising if they were ever allowed to be free. This sense of superiority, mixed with a racially charged fear of free African Americans, continues to inform society today.

Continued
ABC is left wing
Roseanne is left wing
The show's writers are left wing
The cast is left wing.

Race matters in the United States improved steadily from the 1960s through the 2000s. Barack Obama had an obvious black liberation chip on his shoulder and stirred everything up again.

What needs to be understood is that such stirred-up nonsense is hurting only the black community.

Continued
ABC is left wing
Roseanne is left wing
The cast is left wing.

And anyone paying attention knows the left cam be just as racist as anyone else

The left isn’t “fueling it”. Systemic inequity in housing, education and the justice system is fueling it. Belief that that whites are racially superior is fueling it.

Your denial that racism is a problem is fueling it.

You grow the fuck up.

The left isn’t “fueling it”. Systemic inequity in housing, education and the justice system is fueling it. Belief that that whites are racially superior is fueling it.

Your denial that racism is a problem is fueling it.

You grow the fuck up.

Yeah you loons fuel it...the problem is you're too fucking stupid to realize it.

Now pound sand ya old hag

Stop supporting racists.View attachment 196018

I have no idea who Brian Sproul is and I've never liked Rosanne.

I judge on character not skin color and I'm here to tell ya I know blacks I'd choose over most leftists any day if the week

Take your BS and stick it up your ass

You support racists.
Take that and shove it up your ass.

------------------------------- supposed verbal racism not a big deal to me as its just Opinion . Only thing this 'rosie' did was to do it publicly and then her job canned her which is also ok with me because her job is full of PC azzkissers and they have the RIGHT to can her . --------------------------- The 'starbucks' thing , i think that a business has the RIGHT to control its business property . But here again , 'starbucks' is run by liberal PC Azzkissers . And from what i hear , 'starbuck' is now a homeless haven' and rest stop and thats also ok with me . -------------- just my opinion .

Continued
ABC is left wing
Roseanne is left wing
The cast is left wing.
-------------------------------------------- from what i hear , the woman that runs ABC is black , for what thats worth .

Continued
Fucking Obama made racism worse. Not President Trump.

I for one agree with you as many many others do. I'm not a slave owner never was and neither were my ancestors. Likewise current day blacks never faced discrimination as their grandparents faced. So what is their freaking problem? It's not because of me or any other white person.

As for Roseanne Barr's comments. She's a comedian and made a regretful joke. It was unthinking at the most. But to call her a racist is overreacting because I'm sure she's not. The same people out for her head call half the country racist and Nazis. Where is the outrage over statements like that? Even commentators on television news programs say the same thing. Yet these assholes aren't called out and careers ruined for their hateful bigoted and racist statements.

Last edited:

Continued

Closed

"Opening Posts require more than a Copy and Paste with a Link, You need to include relevant, on topic material of your own. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back