Open sights...how accurate are you?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I was at the range today with my trusty 30/30, a 17 HMR and a 22lr rifles.

My wife swiped the scope off the 30/30 for her AR-15, but it has iron sights so I wasn't too alarmed.

Squirrel season opens tomorrow, so the .22 and the .17 were getting zeroed and I figured I zero the 30/30 as well.

To my chagrin...there will be no deer or boar hunting past 50 yards without the scope attached.

I don't know if it's age, or lack of practice, but either way, open sights are not nearly as friendly as I remember them in my youth.

How about you?

Do you shoot over open sights?

At what range are you accurate over open sights?

Last edited:
With my rifles I am good out to about 400 yards. My handguns I used to be able to consistently hit a man sized target at 300 yards, but that has dropped to around 200 now. Damn old eyes...:mad:

Haven't fired a weapon in a few years now, Doctor does not even like me owning them LOL. But I have never fired anything BUT open sights. Neither of my rifles are zeroed. Keep meaning to do it but never go costs about 20 bucks to use the range.

I got lucky recently with an M91/30 – smooth, shinny bore, very little rust. Installed it in an ATI poly stock and it should make a nice open-sight .30 rifle. Taking it out to the range this weekend to see.

As a hunting guide, all I ever carried was and H&H .375 with open sights. Strictly for "backup" shots, mind you. I actually do better in field conditions than on the range. I haven't guided for a few years, but I'd probably do well enough. For myself, I preferred bow hunting, so anything over about 60 yds looks way far away.

As a hunting guide, all I ever carried was and H&H .375 with open sights. Strictly for "backup" shots, mind you. I actually do better in field conditions than on the range. I haven't guided for a few years, but I'd probably do well enough. For myself, I preferred bow hunting, so anything over about 60 yds looks way far away.

I had a Holland and Holland Best Quality Magazine Rifle in .375 H&H many years ago. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine who had delusions of becoming a PH. Last I heard it was still in Africa.

My wife swiped the scope off the 30/30 for her AR-15, but it has iron sights so I wasn't too alarmed.

Squirrel season opens tomorrow, so the .22 and the .17 were getting zeroed and I figured I zero the 30/30 as well.

To my chagrin...there will be no deer or boar hunting past 50 yards without the scope attached.

I don't know if it's age, or lack of practice, but either way, open sights are not nearly as friendly as I remember them in my youth.

How about you?

Strong hand or weak hand?

:D

I'm right handed but left eye dominant, with handguns I'm really accurate at shorter ranges, much more accurate left handed at longer distances. I average a 270 out of 300. Trying to shoot long arms left handed is a trick I have yet to get the hang of but it doesn't matter as I am deadly accurate out to 400 yards, iron sight, right handed.
With a 12 gauge tactical shotgun with ghost sights (#4 buckshot) I'm accurate 100 out of 100, dead center every time up to 20 yards, rapid fire.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I got lucky recently with an M91/30 – smooth, shinny bore, very little rust. Installed it in an ATI poly stock and it should make a nice open-sight .30 rifle. Taking it out to the range this weekend to see.

Let us know how it goes.

And if you get time...post some pics and what your impressions were of your new rifle. :thup:

I had a Holland and Holland Best Quality Magazine Rifle in .375 H&H many years ago. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine who had delusions of becoming a PH. Last I heard it was still in Africa.

I like mine, a lot. It's on a custom stock and fitted just for me, so selling it would be interesting. I like the H&H .375 because is has some ass behind it and the recoil is far less brutal than say, a Remington 7mm or .300.

Put a scope on the 30.06 about ten years ago when eyes approached expiration date stamped on the inside. Now it gets bore-sighted at the start of each season which may be unnecessary but costs cheap.

I like mine, a lot. It's on a custom stock and fitted just for me, so selling it would be interesting. I like the H&H .375 because is has some ass behind it and the recoil is far less brutal than say, a Remington 7mm or .300.

Yep. It's one of the best hunting rounds ever designed. In the top five for most efficient.

How about you?

mostly but i rarely shoot past a hundred yards

i still have pretty good vision

working with the grandson

we shoot up to 50 yards open sights with the 22

25 yards with the pellet rifle

45-70 100 yards

i have shot open sights mostly all of my life

i do prefer peep sights though

which tends to reinforce the aim small miss small trait

I'm afraid, I suck at open sights except for the M-14. AR-15 with the red dot Eotech and the magnifier is just fine for me.

How about you?

I only shoot off sights any more. I detest scopes. Most of the time I don't even bother with formal sighting as I only shoot close in and I use the same guns I learned on so it is as much "muscle memory" for lack of a better phrase as anything else. I am right-handed and left-eye dominant so just the relationship to the forward sight to the game is what I shoot off of.

Forum List

Back