Ontario just handed $100's of millions of tax dollars to Volkswagon to come here. We adults can't know the true costs because, wait for it, "America"

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
The gaslighting is astounding. Corporate welfare is hurting the West and every decision we make China profits from. Some suggest it might be in the BILLIONS, certainly many hundreds of millions.

Why not develop our own? Simple, our best talent probably already moved to Germany to work at Volkswagon. Canadas police state isn't ripe with innovation and opportunity for the ambitious.

Worse, we are told that we can't know how much of our money is spent because is "might tip off the Americans". Huh?

China isn't stupid enough to pay a German company what will be probably north of the equivalent of a million dollars a job, and maybe even WAY more if their "negotiations" with the E.U is any indication.

When people complain about those on welfare and food stamps, I give you Exhibit A.

Here’s why the cost of luring Volkswagen to Ontario will remain secret — for now​

As Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy gears up for Thursday’s provincial budget, the government says details of public subsidies to Volkswagen must remain under wraps for now.

That’s because Queen’s Park and Ottawa are courting other automakers and do not want to tip off rival American states vying for EV factories.

“Part of that is commercially sensitive information, so, as we can, we’ll reveal it,” Bethlenfalvy told the Star on Monday.

His comments came one week after the provincial Progressive Conservative and federal Liberal governments announced they had lured Volkswagen to build a massive EV battery factory in St. Thomas, near London.

Last edited:
In my limited experience, the "subsidies" in cases like this are usually future tax abatements. They don't have to pay real estate (or other?) taxes for a period after they start up. But if that is the case, the Government isn't losing any money. If the business doesn't locate there, that real estate won't be generating any tax revenues at all. The loss of a windfall isn't actually a cost.

I'm sure it's much, much different in Canada, but when a kerfuffle like this arises in the United States of America, it is entirely predictable that the people whining about the "subsidies" are all Leftists who have never actually had a real job (e.g., AOC), so their comments are not worth much.

In my limited experience, the "subsidies" in cases like this are usually future tax abatements. They don't have to pay real estate (or other?) taxes for a period after they start up. But if that is the case, the Government isn't losing any money. If the business doesn't locate there, that real estate won't be generating any tax revenues at all. The loss of a windfall isn't actually a cost.

I'm sure it's much, much different in Canada, but when a kerfuffle like this arises in the United States of America, it is entirely predictable that the people whining about the "subsidies" are all Leftists who have never actually had a real job (e.g., AOC), so their comments are not worth much.
If this were the case, why the secrecy then? If a country can't domestically innovate and manufacture (in addition to lacking civil liberties), it is not a First World nation, almost by definition.

I repeat over and over, Police States fail.

It's why even our most conservative, right wing media, National Post, calls it out for what it is:

Chris Selley: Canada's needless corporate welfare for Volkswagen just insults our intelligence​

t is an unfortunate fact of Canadian politics — politics everywhere, really — that while nobody is willing to defend corporate welfare on principle, every government from every party doles it out nevertheless. The “pay to play” principle has been almost universally accepted: Since every country subsidizes its automotive and aerospace and (insert industry here) sectors, so must Canada if it wishes to maintain its automotive and aerospace and (insert industry here) sectors, and all the jobs and middle-class bliss that come with them.

Volkswagen’s new electric-vehicle battery plant in St. Thomas, Ont., announced this week to great fanfare, is an absolute classic of the genre.

As always, a ragtag group of pundits and economists is casting aspersions, asking unaskable questions: What if we don’t actually need an automotive or aerospace (or EV battery) industry? Browse a list of the world’s most successful nations and you’ll notice that most get by without them. Surely Canadians are educated, entrepreneurial and resourceful enough — and reasonably enough supported by our socioeconomic safety net — to find and create other opportunities. Right? Sad as they are, Canada’s rust-belt stories are nothing compared to what’s just across the border.

The gaslighting is astounding. Corporate welfare is hurting the West and every decision we make China profits from. Some suggest it might be in the BILLIONS, certainly many hundreds of millions.

Why not develop our own? Simple, our best talent probably already moved to Germany to work at Volkswagon. Canadas police state isn't ripe with innovation and opportunity for the ambitious.

Worse, we are told that we can't know how much of our money is spent because is "might tip off the Americans". Huh?

China isn't stupid enough to pay a German company what will be probably north of the equivalent of a million dollars a job, and maybe even WAY more if their "negotiations" with the E.U is any indication.

When people complain about those on welfare and food stamps, I give you Exhibit A.

Here’s why the cost of luring Volkswagen to Ontario will remain secret — for now​

As Finance Minister Peter Bethlenfalvy gears up for Thursday’s provincial budget, the government says details of public subsidies to Volkswagen must remain under wraps for now.

That’s because Queen’s Park and Ottawa are courting other automakers and do not want to tip off rival American states vying for EV factories.

“Part of that is commercially sensitive information, so, as we can, we’ll reveal it,” Bethlenfalvy told the Star on Monday.

His comments came one week after the provincial Progressive Conservative and federal Liberal governments announced they had lured Volkswagen to build a massive EV battery factory in St. Thomas, near London.
So you get good jobs while Germany gets "bakhmuted". I guess this one is a win for Canada, even if it costs in the beginning.

So you get good jobs while Germany gets "bakhmuted". I guess this one is a win for Canada, even if it costs in the beginning.

The government paid $1.4M per job in N.S for a $106M handout there. They could have given each of those people $70k a year for 20 years to NOT work and take some advanced courses to help themselves and the economy.

After the money runs out, Volkswagon, like GM before them; will simply up and leave. All their profits paid for by a future generation of suckers who had no say in the matter.

The government paid $1.4M per job in N.S for a $106M handout there. They could have given each of those people $70k a year for 20 years to NOT work and take some advanced courses to help themselves and the economy.

After the money runs out, Volkswagon, like GM before them; will simply up and leave. All their profits paid for by a future generation of suckers who had no say in the matter.
I don´t think they will. They are already present in China and Mexico.

Maybe I should come to Canada and get a VW-job there.
Go ahead, the over/under on them staying here is probably 5 years. Politicians will long be retired and immune from consequences when the taxpayers are still paying the interest on these handouts.

Go ahead, the over/under on them staying here is probably 5 years. Politicians will long be retired and immune from consequences when the taxpayers are still paying the interest on these handouts.
You're still mixing in your personal problems against authority figures, and that takes away from the intended message.

You started with making a point that China is profiting and you should have dealt with that in some detail, before going off on your rant against the police state, etc., etc.

You're still mixing in your personal problems against authority figures, and that takes away from the intended message.

You started with making a point that China is profiting and you should have dealt with that in some detail, before going off on your rant against the police state, etc., etc.
China profits with our mismanagement and when we spend massive tax dollars on a foreign corporations simply for employing Canadians. You being a member of said covert Police State maybe you could start a business and contribute to the economy rather than being a burden, assuming your value/skillset is anything more than being an expense on the future taxpayers ledger.

China profits with our mismanagement and when we spend massive tax dollars on a foreign corporations simply for employing Canadians.
I suspect that the way forward for Canada is in cooperation with China. They, in alliance with Russia and other countries throughout the world, are promising peace and fair trade relations in exchange for continuous wars of aggression.

There's noting more I can do for you on your personal problems with my police force.

I suspect that the way forward for Canada is in cooperation with China. They, in alliance with Russia and other countries throughout the world, are promising peace and fair trade relations in exchange for continuous wars of aggression.

There's noting more I can do for you on your personal problems with my police force.
Neither me for them.

Forum List

Back