One Example of American Workers Growing Despair; We Need OUR Jobs to Stay Here!

In 1986 the company I worked for until 2003 has shut down a manufacturing plant, built in 1915 and was he text book example of inefficiency.

Negotiations with the union led to the logical conclusion of decommissioning of a manufacturing dinosaur.

A new plant was built with no union, with no piece work where the union free;loaders would intimidate the industrious, no useless human jobs that could and would be replaced by robots, a place where the annual company picnic was celebrated by happy employees instead of the dread of what is going to happen when the next contract comes up for negotiations.

For union thugs a contract needs to be written up, so later they can blame management for breaking every aspect of it.

For people who respect each other the contract is their word and a hand shake.

This guy breaks my heart. So much sympathy in society and the media for single moms and kids, as they deserve, but little do you ever hear of an adult male being shown any sympathy, even the elderly who managers over look because the elderly cost more insurance, take more sick days and are just less desirable.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...
I guess its official... I'm old. 51.. just got turned down from a job that i have experience in... what's left... can't pay rent. Be on the streets in two weeks... can't sleep...When i do, if i don't wake up. It'll be ok with me... that's just how i feel. I remember when you can walk into an establishment and show them what you know. Now everything is done via internet. Its a shame.. all this experience i have. And can't land a job... what happens to me now...dunno what to do but lay down and hope not to wake.

But I guess its just tough shit for Tyrone, as he has no family, no magic new skill set and is mentally braced for homelessness.

But at least some illegal wants that "job no American will do".

Whether or not those manufacturing jobs could have been saved, they aren’t coming back, at least not most of them. How do we know? Because in recent years, factories have been coming back, but the jobs haven’t. Because of rising wages in China, the need for shorter supply chains and other factors, a small but growing group of companies are shifting production back to the U.S. But the factories they build here are heavily automated, employing a small fraction of the workers they would have a generation ago.

Manufacturing Jobs Are Never Coming Back

In 1986 the company I worked for until 2003 has shut down a manufacturing plant, built in 1915 and was he text book example of inefficiency.

Negotiations with the union led to the logical conclusion of decommissioning of a manufacturing dinosaur.

A new plant was built with no union, with no piece work where the union free;loaders would intimidate the industrious, no useless human jobs that could and would be replaced by robots, a place where the annual company picnic was celebrated by happy employees instead of the dread of what is going to happen when the next contract comes up for negotiations.

For union thugs a contract needs to be written up, so later they can blame management for breaking every aspect of it.

For people who respect each other the contract is their word and a hand shake.
. Why worry about the union's anymore, because the federal government has taken over the role as union leadership for the American worker under democrat leadership. This is why we have the numbers of unemployed in this nation now, and it is why our dam taxes are so high because we are paying for this unemployment big time. It is why the government is involved in dictatorship policies concerning minimum wage where it is attempting to change the meaning of the word minimum to mean living wage. It's why it has gotten involved in everything it shouldn't be involved in now. I guess it gives meaning to the Federal government being referred to as the Union huh ?

This guy breaks my heart. So much sympathy in society and the media for single moms and kids, as they deserve, but little do you ever hear of an adult male being shown any sympathy, even the elderly who managers over look because the elderly cost more insurance, take more sick days and are just less desirable.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...
I guess its official... I'm old. 51.. just got turned down from a job that i have experience in... what's left... can't pay rent. Be on the streets in two weeks... can't sleep...When i do, if i don't wake up. It'll be ok with me... that's just how i feel. I remember when you can walk into an establishment and show them what you know. Now everything is done via internet. Its a shame.. all this experience i have. And can't land a job... what happens to me now...dunno what to do but lay down and hope not to wake.

But I guess its just tough shit for Tyrone, as he has no family, no magic new skill set and is mentally braced for homelessness.

Indeed there are heartbreaking stories caused by economic dislocation. The invention of the home refrigerator nearly a century ago put the icemen out of work but many retrained and went to work building and delivering the machines. Should we go back to ice boxes? The speed of today's technological advancements is far outpacing the labor force's ability to adjust and the spread may continue or even widen. As you said to another poster on another thread, "don't toss the baby with the bath water."

The gov't policy changes that lowered barriers to outsourcing created economic efficiencies that benefit most but not without harming some. The introduction and proliferation of robotics, self-service kiosks, and Internet sales allow for a wider range of products at lower costs but all have and will continue to eliminate jobs.

The closure of brick and mortar stores and the ever-growing use of the Internet to conduct biz will seriously diminish the need for sales reps and office space over the next 10 years.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

I hear these stories. Yet, here I am at 73, working full time, and making a very good wage. And, were I to quit where I work today, I could be working at another job next week. Somehow, I really have a problem with someone a generation younger than I am that cannot find a job, or did not do the work I did to keep my skill set relevant.

Today, there are nearly six million good paying jobs going begging in this nation. For many of them, they don't care about your age, sex, or color. All they want is someone that can do the necessary work. So, where are these people that are so eager to get a job?

I feel for Tyrone, but his situation isn't the best example. He's 51. He isn't young, but he's not exactly on death's door yet. Griping about things being done online now? You're 51!!! It took you 20+ years to come to this realization? Learn a new skill. Maybe Twitter.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Indeed there are heartbreaking stories caused by economic dislocation. The invention of the home refrigerator nearly a century ago put the icemen out of work but many retrained and went to work building and delivering the machines. Should we go back to ice boxes? The speed of today's technological advancements is far outpacing the labor force's ability to adjust and the spread may continue or even widen. As you said to another poster on another thread, "don't toss the baby with the bath water."

The gov't policy changes that lowered barriers to outsourcing created economic efficiencies that benefit most but not without harming some. The introduction and proliferation of robotics, self-service kiosks, and Internet sales allow for a wider range of products at lower costs but all have and will continue to eliminate jobs.

The closure of brick and mortar stores and the ever-growing use of the Internet to conduct biz will seriously diminish the need for sales reps and office space over the next 10 years.
. Ok, and what is this overall doing to the strength of our nation ?? I agree with what your saying, but if we see that in some of these things that we are doing, otherwise will have a weakening affect on our nation, our culture, our value, our military strength, our economic strength within, then and only then will we know the fall out from it all.. We need to do the very in-depth studies needed on this stuff always, and then the choices should be made to harness our technology advancements, but to do it in a way that doesn't destroy the nation at the same time. Greed doesn't give a crap about the balance and strength issues, and if we allow greed to win the day, then we all lose in the end.

Last edited:

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

I hear these stories. Yet, here I am at 73, working full time, and making a very good wage. And, were I to quit where I work today, I could be working at another job next week. Somehow, I really have a problem with someone a generation younger than I am that cannot find a job, or did not do the work I did to keep my skill set relevant.

Today, there are nearly six million good paying jobs going begging in this nation. For many of them, they don't care about your age, sex, or color. All they want is someone that can do the necessary work. So, where are these people that are so eager to get a job?
. Opportunity, access, and skill sets are key, but the economy has ousted so many in the changes going on in the last 20 years, that the workers all depending haven't been able to keep up or rather they couldn't keep up depending on how trapped they were in their one job that they had. I view your post as being very smug and condescending toward your fellow man, when you know dam well it's far more complicated than you spoke or do you know ? I think you know, but you just want to talk about something from a one-sided perspective, while not taking in the entire bigger picture. There are so many dependents now, and so many workers working in jobs no where related to their skill sets that it is a shame, but until policy's change it will only get worse.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Exactly. And the GOP has long fought the idea that the government, state and federal, should be doing more to train the workforce to meet the new demands of industry. South Korea graduates more engineers than does the US. We don't have nearly enough skilled craftsmen to meet the demand of our present industry. And it will only get worse for a while, even if we start training technicians right now. And the GOP will fight that tooth and nail, claiming that we giving someone something for 'free'. Even thought the nation is in dire need of people that understand the present technology.

These are very good paying jobs, yet they are looked down on by many now on welfare or unemployment. So, you get greasy, and have to use the muscles in your back as well as those between your ears. 100K+ a year is pretty good incentative I would think.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

If they want jobs, you need to go where the jobs are.

Buy a passport.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Maybe he can go to Honduras or Mexico and claim asylum. Or go to the national democratic party and promise to vote democratic for them like the illegals do, and they'll sprinkle lots of welfare on him.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Jobs shouldn't go to the one who is most pathetic. Jobs need to go to the ones who are most qualified.

But this is a communist country. The feds control the food, they control the jobs, and they dictate who we must hire.

Enjoy.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Maybe he can go to Honduras or Mexico and claim asylum. Or go to the national democratic party and promise to vote democratic for them like the illegals do, and they'll sprinkle lots of welfare on him.
And then he will have a higher standard of living than the poor schmoes who don't receive welfare.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Buy a passport.

No American, in fact, nobody American or otherwise, need a passport to go find a job, work and live in North Dakota.
It is to be hoped that North Dakota will not become a freeloaders' paradise just because its natural resources invites despicable freeloaders along with honest people who just want to work.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Buy a passport.

No American, in fact, nobody American or otherwise, need a passport to go find a job, work and live in North Dakota.
It is to be hoped that North Dakota will not become a freeloaders' paradise just because its natural resources invites despicable freeloaders along with honest people who just want to work.

Sounds nice, but then you have to live in North Dakota.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Buy a passport.

Typical stupid and snobbish and condescending and patronizing and idiotic and foolish answer by an idiotic DEmocrat who would be stupid enough to enjoy paying at least 30% more for everything he/she buys for the privilege for living in Democratic politically correct hell holes like New York or California.

In North Dakota even the staunchest liberal idiot would find more blue skies than he/she would in politically correct New York.

In North Dakota he/she would be insulted/accosted by far fewer beggars than in liberal llinois or New Jersey.

In North Dakota he/she would find that if there is a fight Friday night in a bar it is NOT because of race, like in Chicago.

In North Dakota people don't need to enjoy the fruits of accommodations, inclusiveness, social equality, because everyone is already equal, according to the Constitution.

In North Dakota people are next door to Canada, yet no North Dakotan swears to move there if somebody wins the election who does not sing in their choir.

So, bash North Dakota, you pathetic snob, all you like. your ignorance will bite your ilk in the ass on Election Day.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Buy a passport.

Typical stupid and snobbish and condescending and patronizing and idiotic and foolish answer by an idiotic DEmocrat who would be stupid enough to enjoy paying at least 30% more for everything he/she buys for the privilege for living in Democratic politically correct hell holes like New York or California.

In North Dakota even the staunchest liberal idiot would find more blue skies than he/she would in politically correct New York.

In North Dakota he/she would be insulted/accosted by far fewer beggars than in liberal llinois or New Jersey.

In North Dakota he/she would find that if there is a fight Friday night in a bar it is NOT because of race, like in Chicago.

In North Dakota people don't need to enjoy the fruits of accommodations, inclusiveness, social equality, because everyone is already equal, according to the Constitution.

In North Dakota people are next door to Canada, yet no North Dakotan swears to move there if somebody wins the election who does not sing in their choir.

So, bash North Dakota, you pathetic snob, all you like. your ignorance will bite your ilk in the ass on Election Day.

I don't live in any of those states, so... North Dakota can eat a dick.

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

Buy a passport.

I don't live in any of those states, so... North Dakota can eat a dick.

Rest assured, no decent North Dakotan would would like to see you move there with that kind of attitude.

Be specific: What have you got against North Dakota?

Im Done... | Jobcase

Im done...

. Ok, and what is this overall doing to the strength of our nation ?? I agree with what your saying, but if we see that in some of these things that we are doing, otherwise will have a weakening affect on our nation, our culture, our value, our military strength, our economic strength within, then and only then will we know the fall out from it all.. We need to do the very in-depth studies needed on this stuff always, and then the choices should be made to harness our technology advancements, but to do it in a way that doesn't destroy the nation at the same time. Greed doesn't give a crap about the balance and strength issues, and if we allow greed to win the day, then we all lose in the end.

Ah ... the old "greed" boogeyman. The rich aren't rich because the poor are poor and vice versa.

The fact is the vast majority of the gen pop - including most of those who fall through the economic cracks - benefit from the wider availability of products (my computer uses Kaspersky and most use dozens of foreign parts, apps and innovations) and the lower prices that result from the diminished trade barriers. Short of erecting gov't mandated impediments to tech advances - an option that is just too Draconian and damaging to even fathom - they will continue to disrupt some lives while enhancing life for many, many more.

It is of little consolation to those seemingly left behind but technology - and to an extent "greed" - are here to stay and both will continue to contribute to our culture, our military, our quality of life, and our prosperity.

Forum List

Back