Old cars suck | Change my mind

Let's not forget the stylish VW Karmann Ghia........

Volkswagen_Karmann-Ghia_Type_14_coupe_%286106019298%29.jpg

The problem with these is you drove it for 5 minutes then had to work on it for 5 days to get it running again........... Not only that they stuck the old Beetle 40HP engine in it, can you say under powered? I knew you could....... :D
Those were nice little cars
Designed by Porsche but on a Beetle platform

Looked good but no performance
My girlfriend's dad had one of those he picked up for my girlfriend's brother (my best friend at the time). We spent more time working on it than actually driving it. It was 1970-71, I was in HS in Colorado Springs at the time before we moved to Taiwan.
I dated a girl that had one
Had the same engine and transmission as a Beetle

Fun little car to drive, but so was a Beetle

Didn’t see any more maintenance problems you didn’t see on other VWs
My mom had an old bug in the 80s - 90s, when I would come back to Colo Springs to visit I'd drive that thing everywhere. It was fun especially in the winter in empty parking lots........ :lol:

The problem with these is you drove it for 5 minutes then had to work on it for 5 days to get it running again........... Not only that they stuck the old Beetle 40HP engine in it, can you say under powered? I knew you could....... :D

My girlfriend's dad had one of those he picked up for my girlfriend's brother (my best friend at the time). We spent more time working on it than actually driving it. It was 1970-71, I was in HS in Colorado Springs at the time before we moved to Taiwan.

My mom had an old bug in the 80s - 90s, when I would come back to Colo Springs to visit I'd drive that thing everywhere. It was fun especially in the winter in empty parking lots........ :lol:
Heaters on those things sucked

Everything sucks on every VW

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

1972 Ford Gran Torino. I do like that.
Unfortunately or fortunately (whichever way you look at it) I hate, hate, hate most of the 70s and 80s cars, think they are the ugliest pieces of junk Detroit ever put out.
You see, youre a lot like me, except ill hate on cars older than that.
BTW, my dream car isn't even a car.

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

The Land Rover D90 Defender is one of my favorite vehicles. I almost bought a used one in 2003, after they stopped being imported. It was $30K, and since I wanted a daily driver, I passed and bought a new Jeep Wrangler TJ for $20K which I still have as a weekend vehicle. They are getting huge bucks today.

Pure junk as are all English made cars. They were junk long before Americans began making junk. Now there are no English car companies of any note remaining. The same route American brands are following. Today Chrysler brands are actually Fiat and that is truly lame. A note of ironey is that previous English brands are now either German or funnier still Indian owned. How's that for revenge?
Jaguars were so bad we would pull out the junk jag motor trans and put in chevy 350 motors with 350 or 400 tranny.

The Borg Warner t-65 3 speed trannies all had the same problem. The reverse band would burn up too soon! Easy fix but car engineers don't give a damn.

T65 1.jpg

Last edited:

Those Beetles were great
Inexpensive, fun to drive, easy to maintain

Those Beetles were great
If you maintain a piece of shit, all you can hope for is a well maintained piece of shit.

And if you actually added up the easy to do maintenance you would see how expensive they were

Those Beetles were great
Unfortunately they were also Spam-in-a-can. Passed by one accident where the Bug was hit by a land yacht, fairly high speed. The Bug was nearly destroyed with a tarp over the front to try and conceal the mess to passing motorists while fire and rescue cleaned up. I distinctly remember a huge pool of blood forming outside of the passenger side door.

It depends on the driving experience one wants of a car, I suppose. And others in the car. Most newer cars you forget the driving experience as soon as you put it back in park.

My old Corvette, for example, when I put it back in park after a nice invigorating drive through the winding country roads, I'm grinning a foot wide when I get out of the car. And that's just driving the speed limit, I never really drive fast or anything. There's really no point in driving over the speed limit on roads, it ruins the experience and you end up puting yourself and others in danger o nthe roads.

I think once you get a little older you appreciate what you have a little more which lends to getting the most out of it.

Just don't be this guy...

Last edited:
Unfortunately or fortunately (whichever way you look at it) I hate, hate, hate most of the 70s and 80s cars, think they are the ugliest pieces of junk Detroit ever put out.

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

The Land Rover D90 Defender is one of my favorite vehicles. I almost bought a used one in 2003, after they stopped being imported. It was $30K, and since I wanted a daily driver, I passed and bought a new Jeep Wrangler TJ for $20K which I still have as a weekend vehicle. They are getting huge bucks today.

Pure junk as are all English made cars. They were junk long before Americans began making junk. Now there are no English car companies of any note remaining. The same route American brands are following. Today Chrysler brands are actually Fiat and that is truly lame. A note of ironey is that previous English brands are now either German or funnier still Indian owned. How's that for revenge?

Well I managed to keep the three MG's I had running in the 70's and 80's (SU downdraft carbs). The Land Rovers had/have their reliability problems and one reason I went with a new Jeep over a used D90, but I wouldn't call them "junk".

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

Well I managed to keep the three MG's I had running in the 70's and 80's (SU downdraft carbs). The Land Rovers had/have their reliability problems and one reason I went with a new Jeep over a used D90, but I wouldn't call them "junk".

I'm not sure you did much better beause latter day Jeeps are junk too. When I was a rock crawler those things broke down constantly. I lost count of the Jeep tie rods I've trail welded. One good thing about that was that I didn't need to haul as much beer and ice.

LOL you bring welding equipment with you or you light a flare like MacGyver

I'll take my GT40 MkI over a modern car any day of the week
A 2019 Ford GT is simply a better looking/performing version of that car, but i do love GT40s.
In thirty years, you'll still think that is a nice looking car, and some young punk will tell you it is garbage.

Meanwhile, there are folks on this forum that think this is a better looking car, while yours is just inorganic and depressing.
I said i like 60s and 70s muscle cars. Im 46 by the way. Im not exactly young.

When I was a kid, I looked up to the 18 year old paper boy as a man of the world.
But when I got to be 18 myself, I realized I knew nothing.

Then I was 30 and was sure I was on top of the world. Couldn't have been farther from the truth.

When I hit 40, I was sure I had really arrived.

But it wasn't until I was 50 that I realized I was just starting to understand the way things are. That was the first time I knew I was an adult.

Now that I'm in my 60s, I finally understand that I'm just beginning to understand.

46. You're a fucking kid. You don't know shit.

I hear ya.
The Wife and I never had children so my Peter Pan moment lasted until I was around 45.
I used that time building and wheeling off road vehicles,motorcycles, SxSs,boats and a host of other hobbies.
Now that I've reached 54 I realize I dont need all those hobbies....not because I wanna give em up so much as I cant maintain all that shit anymore.:04:

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

Well mine is a 2003 TJ Jeep Wrangler with 206,000 miles on it. Half its life was spent in the Colorado Rockies, and doubled as a daily driver and weekend rock crawler. No tie rods broke, and only normal maintenance required. I did replace one water pump. Yes, anecdotal, but my experience, and it's still running strong with the same clutch.

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg
That is cool, but Rubicons are even better. A "Starwood Jeep Rubicon" is my dream 4x4.

18844239797ac_low_res_2017-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-sport.jpg

Love the concept, hate the product.

I'd much rather have the Toyota....
m0e1lzbpqea6q9vtki5b.jpg

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.

Took many a trip from Houston to Austin in a buddies bug....a gocart would have been as comfortable.
The whole trip consisted of....Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh and you could barely reach 60. The hills in Austin? Pffffftt ...felt like I could run along side and make better time.

1995 Land Rover Defender

img-1-600x400.jpg

Well mine is a 2003 TJ Jeep Wrangler with 206,000 miles on it. Half its life was spent in the Colorado Rockies, and doubled as a daily driver and weekend rock crawler. No tie rods broke, and only normal maintenance required. I did replace one water pump. Yes, anecdotal, but my experience, and it's still running strong with the same clutch.

Unless it's really built, I bet I could take that thing to a trail not thirty minutes from my house and it would be broken inside of a morning or afternoons wheeling. If it's stock, it wouldn't last an hour.

ca0816-244449_1@2x.jpg

With few exceptions (Trans Am) they were ugly, poorly made cars

Lazy ass Union workers, who thought their gravy train would last forever?

I agree.

Union workers did not design the cars, they did not buy the parts, they did not set quality standards

It took a combination of commie auto unions and inbreed, clueless management to kill Detroit and they did a through job of it. Teamwork!

You are both wrong.

It isn't the workers, it isn't the management.

Well, it is not entirely one or the other.

BOTH use GOBERMENT.

It was, in the final analysis, THE MAN, that destroyed the industry. It is primarily GOVERNMENT that did in the industry, and still meddles with the free market. It does it to death.

I have an underhood welder and I carry a spool gun, welding rod and a welding hood in my gear along with a compliment of tools. There's one thing you can be sure of when wheeling out in the boondocks and that is that AAA ain't coming. You either somehow fix it yourself or start walking. You should see some of the McGiver trail fixes though. How about repairing a busted tranfercase with beer cans and JB Weld for example. However, It held oil and that was all that counted to get to the end and off the trail so it was legit.
I have been so far in the boonies first with my 92K blazer and now with my 2010 Nissan pathfinder that there was no cell phone service. Seriously if you feel that your Chrysler is such a piece of shit that you need a welder you should stay home. You are assuming that the broken tie rod won't translate quickly into a broken skull and that is not always the case.

Or after this happens more than once it is clear that new heavier not made of Chrysler steel rods are needed

With few exceptions (Trans Am) they were ugly, poorly made cars

Lazy ass Union workers, who thought their gravy train would last forever?

I agree.

Union workers did not design the cars, they did not buy the parts, they did not set quality standards

It took a combination of commie auto unions and inbreed, clueless management to kill Detroit and they did a through job of it. Teamwork!

You are both wrong.

It isn't the workers, it isn't the management.

Well, it is not entirely one or the other.

BOTH use GOBERMENT.

It was, in the final analysis, THE MAN, that destroyed the industry. It is primarily GOVERNMENT that did in the industry, and still meddles with the free market. It does it to death.

Well I will admit that gubberment was the grease.

Forum List

Back