[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

One has a feature where, if I quote a post, then within a certain amount of time I quote another post, the second one becomes appended to the first. It cuts down your post total, but is much better than seeing 7 posts in a row from the same member.

Yeah... vBulletin added that AFTER Xenforo.

kthx.
If it's in XenForo, why don't we have it?

I just know that some sites have all sorts of problems with vBulletin and others have no issues at all.

*bumpity-bump-bump*

A new quoting feature is going to be released soon. The beta is out now but this is what it will look like (see link below). Its pretty nice. There is some awesome features on the way with 1.4.0. They released the beta already and as soon as they release a stable version we'll test and upgrade. They move pretty fast and are already on Release Candidate 2 so a stable release should be days away.

XF 1.4 - XenForo 1.4 Improvements to Replying XenForo Community

1.4.0 will be pretty bad ass

Looks good. The narrator mentioned the new release has a feature that would make it easier for admin to post Custom Help Pages. I hate to sound like a broken record but I'm still looking for basic how-to info. For instance my efforts to control the runaway nested quotes still often go sideways. Bells and whistles are great but a short FAQ sheet would help a lot of us get the full benefit and ensure they don't just become another obstacle to intuitive posting. I'd like to be able to utilize the gadgets we have now properly before tackling the next batch. I haven't visited any other forums for years, don't use facebook or twitter or whatever so I'll use that excuse as to why I'm on the "dumb" side of the user scale curve.
I hope someone tells us what those features are before it's implemented.

If it's in XenForo, why don't we have it?.

*shrug*

All's I know is that I was posting on a Xenforo board back in '11 or '12 (actually I'm pretty sure it was earlier than that... I haven't even been TO that site in years) and had my replies merged together if they were posted within a certain amount of time of each other.

IP.Board can do that, too. Don't know which one of those 2 brands came up with it first, but I know it damned sure wasn't vBullshit.

Is there a way for members to delete conversations? We used to have limited storage and could clear in-box and sent items. I can't find that option here.

Go into your conversations and put a check mark in the box to the right of the ones you want to delete and delete from there. Also leaving conversation will delete it

is there a way to find a list of one's threads created? Like all the threads I created?
yes do a search and choose 'more'/your posts. Enter username
I see no option to delete a conversation. Does "Leave conversation" with the "ignore future messages" option selected, permanently delete all record of the convo?
Did you do it?
Do what? :D Thanks, Ravi

Is there a way for members to delete conversations? We used to have limited storage and could clear in-box and sent items. I can't find that option here.

Go into your conversations and put a check mark in the box to the right of the ones you want to delete and delete from there. Also leaving conversation will delete it

is there a way to find a list of one's threads created? Like all the threads I created?
I see no option to delete a conversation. Does "Leave conversation" with the "ignore future messages" option selected, permanently delete all record of the convo?
Did you do it?
its still there for me

Did you do it?
its still there for me

It only deletes it from the person that left the convo. If you want it gone, leave the convo.

It works that way to prevent people from deleting PM's from another person's inbox before they decided they were done with it.

Did you do it?
its still there for me
Then it is still stored. Interesting.

Did you do it?
its still there for me

It only deletes it from the person that left the convo. If you want it gone, leave the convo.

It works that way to prevent people from deleting PM's from another person's inbox before they decided they were done with it.
So if the 2nd person leaves the conversation and selects "ignore future messages" does the whole exchange go poof as in no way accessible by anyone?

Does it prevent me from receiving future messages from that sender?

@Ernie S.

It is like emails. You can leave and prevent future interaction with that conversation, but once you hit send/reply, the message belongs to the recepient. You can't delete past conversations from someone else's in box. They cannot delete anything from yours either. So, no drunk texting!

Did you do it?
its still there for me

So if the 2nd person leaves the conversation and selects "ignore future messages" does the whole exchange go poof as in no way accessible by anyone?

Does it prevent me from receiving future messages from that sender?

You'll have to wait for an admin reply on whether the convo is deleted or just removed from your view, but it doesn't stop the sender from sending you future messages. It just stops that particular discussion. They can open up a new one.

If you want to stop ALL messages from a particular sender, put them on your ignore list.

@Ernie S.

It is like emails. You can leave and prevent future interaction with that conversation, but once you hit send/reply, the message belongs to the recepient. You can't delete past conversations from someone else's in box. They cannot delete anything from yours either. So, no drunk texting!

Well put!

Go to that member's profile, click "Postings", scroll to the bottom, and click "Find all threads by (member)"
@Toro this way ^^ or in the search box choose "more" and do it that way

@cereal_killer

Thanks. I had seen that.

So there's no way to do that through the search function? If a poster restricts who can view their profile, you can't see the threads they started. Is there any other way to search for a members threads?

Also, I don't think you can narrow the search by sub-forum that way. For example, I would sometimes search through threads that I started in different sub-forums. How do you do that now?

@cereal_killer

On the old software, you could conduct a search based on threads started by the author. How do you do that in the search function now?
You should be able to click on Search and then click on the little down arrow to the right of More. Then click on your threads, however that doesn't seem to work for me.

Forum List

Back