Official advice for everyone without power

Use the internet to get help.

FEMA, W.H. send storm victims to Internet - Steve Friess - POLITICO.com

I am so glad that the government has moved into the 20th century, now we just need to upgrade storms so they don't knock out all that tech.

okay, kiddies... what is wrong with that suggestion... think about it for a second...

if the power is out, your INTERNET service is out too.

Oh stop it!

There ya go again making sense.

I do that quite often, yet people are constantly surprised ;)

When President Barack Obama urged Americans under siege from Hurricane Sandy to stay inside and keep watch on ready.gov for the latest, he left out something pretty important — where to turn if the electricity goes out.
Despite the heightened expectation of widespread power and cable television failures, everyone from the president to local newscasters seem to expect the public to rely entirely on the Internet and their TVs for vital news and instructions.
None of the major cable or local news channels put emergency phone numbers or key radio station frequencies on their screens. The only phone-related instructions on the homepage of ready.gov is how to get monthly disaster-prep text messages. The Federal Emergency Management Agency told the public via Twitter to use texts and social media outlets to stay informed.
A call to FEMA’s news desk, however, found even they didn’t have any non-Internet information readily available beyond suggestions that people call 911 in an emergency. When asked where folks should turn for information if they have no power, a FEMA worker said, “Well, those people who have a laptop with a little battery life on it can try that way. Otherwise, you’re right.”

I am so glad that the government has moved into the 20th century, now we just need to upgrade storms so they don't knock out all that tech.

you're doing a great job craig;)

When President Barack Obama urged Americans under siege from Hurricane Sandy to stay inside and keep watch on ready.gov for the latest, he left out something pretty important — where to turn if the electricity goes out.
Despite the heightened expectation of widespread power and cable television failures, everyone from the president to local newscasters seem to expect the public to rely entirely on the Internet and their TVs for vital news and instructions.
None of the major cable or local news channels put emergency phone numbers or key radio station frequencies on their screens. The only phone-related instructions on the homepage of ready.gov is how to get monthly disaster-prep text messages. The Federal Emergency Management Agency told the public via Twitter to use texts and social media outlets to stay informed.
A call to FEMA’s news desk, however, found even they didn’t have any non-Internet information readily available beyond suggestions that people call 911 in an emergency. When asked where folks should turn for information if they have no power, a FEMA worker said, “Well, those people who have a laptop with a little battery life on it can try that way. Otherwise, you’re right.”

My brother had internet in Brooklyn long after his power went out.

Yeah but what did he access it with?

I would call that an Obama/FEMA fail

Yeah but what did he access it with?

I would call that an Obama/FEMA fail

I'm not even sure. I just know he was able to post on FB that his power went out :)

Thankfully, in the absence of government aid, all the private sector heroes and super prepared private citizens showed up with generators and backup packs of batteries. Private sector heroes like Microsoft, WalMart, Home Depot, Sears, Ford, the NFL, NBA, MLB, Apple, and 3,000 other private sector businesses all showed up with 18 wheelers full of food, water, aid, generators.........

Oh, wait a minute. No...they didnt show up. Guess we DO need the govt.

Yeah, God forbid that the food be USED before it spoils...

Fucking nanny state BS!

Food can spoil after only a few hours in the fridge.

Keep the fucking door closed. In cold weather you're good for a day or two, freezer lasts a week.

Cold weather?

LOL. Not going to happen following a typical hurricane. I wish. No electricity is a lot easier to deal with when its not hot.

Should also depend on how much crap is in your fridge. The dude we stayed with for Gustav had his freezer stocked chuck full and shit was still frozen solid like 5 days later.

Last edited:
Thankfully, in the absence of government aid, all the private sector heroes and super prepared private citizens showed up with generators and backup packs of batteries. Private sector heroes like Microsoft, WalMart, Home Depot, Sears, Ford, the NFL, NBA, MLB, Apple, and 3,000 other private sector businesses all showed up with 18 wheelers full of food, water, aid, generators.........

I remember after Katrina Wal-Mart sent some trucks in.

Of course they kept all their stores closed. So folks in rural areas where the ONLY place to shop is Wal-Mart were just fucked and had to rely on charity even though they had the money to pay for things!

If you can't afford a generator, borrow money from your parents.

If you can't access the internet because the power is out cry to candycorn, she'll make it all better.

I am sure all the people that didn't have internet when they lost power are so happy to here about your brother.

I am sure all the people that didn't have internet when they lost power are so happy to here about your brother.

I didn't share that information to make people happy.

What got your panties in a bunch?

Maybe New York shouldn't go out of its way to keep WalMArt out of their neighborhoods, they showed up after Katrina with everything needed to supply entire neighborhoods with power.

Forum List

Back