Obama won BECAUSE of his race

I disagree with that...while white guilt was his real running mate; Obama won because he flat out had better ideas than McCain; Bush fatigue, and was frankly more likable than Senator McCain.

I concede that Obama had the clear advantage once he went head to head with McCain.

However I'll ask you the same question I pose to others. Why did Obama get as far as the general? If he were white, with the same ideas and the same resume (except of course his resume wouldn't say "first African American president of the Harvard Law Review"), would he have gotten the funding and encouragement to enter the primaries in 2007? Or would he, if he had even thought of running for president, have been told (or simply known) that he needed to get more experience before he stepped up onto that stage?

I'm not sure and since it was 2008 we'll never know.

There were some mechanical problems with Senator Clinton's campaign. She had spent too much on her re-election to the Senate spending $36 million dollars to hold on to a seat she was all but assured she would be able to hold on to. Mark Penn, her campaign manager wanted to leave no doubt. And it left less money than it should have for the 2008 run.

Her dawdling on whether to run or not did not help matters much either (Obama by the way, said he wasn't going to run, lied, and became President).

And there is the likability factor that Senator Clinton has had; mostly with women. Couple that with some serious gaffes on her part; some real whoppers about landing in a war zone and having to dodge bullets (her exact phrase escapes me at this time) and Obama stealing her "novelty" and you may or may not be looking at a serial loser.

Would he have gotten the same encouragement? I think yes. Senator Clinton isn't that popular in Democratic circles.

Would he have gotten the same funding if he were "an average white" 1st term Senator as opposed to being "an average black" 1st term Senator? No way.

Would he have gotten the same treatment from the press. No way.

That being said, he seized the opportunity when nobody else wanted a piece of Clinton except for John Edwards who was running more or less to get away from his wife.

In reality, if Senator Clinton had won, she would have been treated worse by the Republicans than Obama

Failed is your opinion. He was governor of Massachusetts. That gave him more experience than the less-than-one-term Senator without even going into his history of solving economic and managerial problems.

Romney would have known better than to throw water onto the economic recovery by taking his eye off the ball and wasting a year and a half inventing new regulations to bog down the country with.

Romney was such a failure as Governor that he was never elected to another Office

Obamas service as Senator was rewarded with the Presidency

Romney has no experience co parable to Obamas

So where did you come up with the nick "rightwinger"?

Actually, it is my real first name. I always hated my parents for it

I concede that Obama had the clear advantage once he went head to head with McCain.

However I'll ask you the same question I pose to others. Why did Obama get as far as the general? If he were white, with the same ideas and the same resume (except of course his resume wouldn't say "first African American president of the Harvard Law Review"), would he have gotten the funding and encouragement to enter the primaries in 2007? Or would he, if he had even thought of running for president, have been told (or simply known) that he needed to get more experience before he stepped up onto that stage?

There were some mechanical problems with Senator Clinton's campaign. She had spent too much on her re-election to the Senate spending $36 million dollars to hold on to a seat she was all but assured she would be able to hold on to. Mark Penn, her campaign manager wanted to leave no doubt. And it left less money than it should have for the 2008 run.

Her dawdling on whether to run or not did not help matters much either (Obama by the way, said he wasn't going to run, lied, and became President).

And there is the likability factor that Senator Clinton has had; mostly with women. Couple that with some serious gaffes on her part; some real whoppers about landing in a war zone and having to dodge bullets (her exact phrase escapes me at this time) and Obama stealing her "novelty" and you may or may not be looking at a serial loser.

Would he have gotten the same encouragement? I think yes. Senator Clinton isn't that popular in Democratic circles.

Would he have gotten the same funding if he were "an average white" 1st term Senator as opposed to being "an average black" 1st term Senator? No way.

That being said, he seized the opportunity when nobody else wanted a piece of Clinton except for John Edwards who was running more or less to get away from his wife.

In reality, if Senator Clinton had won, she would have been treated worse by the Republicans than Obama

Possibly. I do doubt it....there is a poster on here named Mathew who put the words, "Don't re-nig in 2012" as the avatar to the caption. It's hard to believe that they would be doing that sort of shit against Secretary Clinton.

If McCain would have won, he would have been treated very rudely by the Democratic leaders as well.

Last edited:

Oh Because she's a woman? Or because she's more crooked?

Neither, it's because she had a longer history of irrational hate from RW nutbags they could build on once she was the Dem nominee. You guys had to start from scratch with Obama.

Possibly. I do doubt it....there is a poster on here named Mathew who put the words, "Don't re-nig in 2012" as the avatar to the caption. It's hard to believe that they would be doing that sort of shit against Secretary Clinton.

If McCain would have won, he would have been treated very rudely by the Democratic leaders as well.

The GOP was all geared up to attack candidate Clinton in 2008. When Obama won the nomination, many of the tactics that would have been used against Clinton could not be used against Obama. The GOP had to be very careful about appearing racist.

No first lady has been treated as poorly by the opposition as Hillary Clinton. It was only after the Lewinsky scandal that she became sympathetic

The GOP was all geared up to attack candidate Clinton in 2008. When Obama won the nomination, many of the tactics that would have been used against Clinton could not be used against Obama. The GOP had to be very careful about appearing racist.

No first lady has been treated as poorly by the opposition as Hillary Clinton. It was only after the Lewinsky scandal that she became sympathetic

You may be right.

He got as far as the general because he was the better candidate.

What made him the better candidate? It was the historicity of his run, which was comparable to the historicity of Hillary's, and didn't carry the baggage of being a third Clinton term.

If Obama had not been black, then the historical element would have been gone. Nothing about him other than his color qualified him to go up against Hillary's and Edwards' networks of donors. He simply wasn't ready as measured in terms of political experience. The hope and optimism and starry-eye wonder he was able to generate in crowds came from what he represented in the context of America's racial history, not from proven skills related to challenges a president is predicted to face.

What about the angle that consisted of a relative unknown versus someone that already lived in the WH for 8 years, served as a NY Senator, and has been known in the world of US politics by way of her husband since the 90's?

I'd bet the Republicans would have preferred to go against Hillary just for all the material already available to use against her.

I just can't agree that race was the only motivating factor for his nomination, it's too black and white, pun intended.

No body has ever been treated more poorly than the Palin family. Til that happens you dumb ass democrats can cry us a fucking river.

Whomever the democratic nominee might have been in 2008, he or she would have been subjected to an unprecedented attack from the right equally hateful and devoid of fact.

And it wouldn't have made a difference

With the backlash against Bush and the Republicans, an economic meltdown and a desire for a new direction

Obama being black helped but any candidate without an R next to their name would have won

Whomever the democratic nominee might have been in 2008, he or she would have been subjected to an unprecedented attack from the right equally hateful and devoid of fact.

it's called getting what you dish. don't like it? don't fucking dish it. how's that?

No body has ever been treated more poorly than the Palin family. Til that happens you dumb ass democrats can cry us a fucking river.
it's called getting what you dish. don't like it? don't fucking dish it. how's that?

that's fine, now stop whining. that's why i've never and will never utter the "P" words when you assholes have the office. you don't deserve that much respect. not a drop, it's always gonna be "that guy" in the wh.

that's fine, now stop whining. that's why i've never and will never utter the "P" words when you assholes have the office. you don't deserve that much respect. not a drop, it's always gonna be "that guy" in the wh.
PRESIDENT Obama!

Neither, it's because she had a longer history of irrational hate from RW nutbags they could build on once she was the Dem nominee. You guys had to start from scratch with Obama.

My dislike and distrust of hillary clinton is in no way irrational. She's another average intellect who's only real world experience was with the Rose Law Firm who she joined after failing the District of Columbia Bar exam and passing the Arkansas bar. She rode her husband's coat tails and her gender to prominence, despite not being able to find subpoenaed documents and making a killing on chicken features. I might have retained just a bit of respect for her if she had divorced the Philanderer-in-Chief.
She's just another person who's only mark on history would have been a minor research role for the committee that put together the Articles of Impeachment of Richard Nixon, had she not married well and been born a woman.

The lib media had an orgasm over the guy in 2008 ("Hope And Change")

FAILED PRESIDENCY.

Is there any president that comes close to Obama being the least qualified when he was elected to the highest office in the land????

Forum List

Back