Obama will cut our taxes huh? Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option

And you idiots complain there are too many tea party threads? :lol:

what number thread is this on the VAT that doesn't exist except in your fevered imaginations?

:cuckoo:

Hey? You are the only one to have mentioned the Tea Party in this thread to the point of the quoted post. Unless of course you were thinking of her name and meaning that she had started too many threads?

Immie

So if the sales tax was eliminated also, it's worth taking a look at. At this point, I don't endorse anything.

What happens to state budgets if the Feds add a Federal VAT and eliminate State Sales Taxes - and how on earth could that be Consitutional?

what number thread is this on the VAT that doesn't exist except in your fevered imaginations?

It would take months, nay years, for Congress to ever agree to a VAT in addition to other personal taxes. I did hear George Will suggest the other day on Morning Joe, however, that a Value Added Tax which would replace the entire tax system would be much more fair and workable than either the fair tax or flat tax which seek to overhaul the existing tax structure. Sounds good to me.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, everyone's jumping the gun and projecting (again) how horrible their taxes will become, when it's basically only millionnaires and billionnaires who will lose their windfall when the Bush tax cuts are not renewed in 2011.

Months? Years?

Then again, They... er we, blindly over-hauled health care in a manner of months.

Are you trying to encourage us? If so, I suggest you go back to the drawing board. ;)

Immie

Instead of actually PASSING A BUDGET - Congress will likely use reconciliation for the VAT Obamanation.

This article actually is making me sick. I don't understand why people don't wake up and realize that it is only a matter of time!! Obama's White House aids said last week, and even before this interview with CNBC that "No VAT Tax was being Considered". So who the hell is lying when Obama comes to the little discussion stating that "It's not as toxic and idea as it used to be". WAKE THE FUCK UP ASSHOLE. I am getting so sick and tired of this bullshit ass president lying up his left side and down his right side. Hey here is an idea Numb Nuts, get the fuck off of American Idol, and all of your other TV interviews and commentaries, and start reading shit. Get a hold of your knowledge base and learn what ISN'T WORKING IN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES.

And it isn't, right now.

Nice hedging of the bet there, Maggie.

Now, when it finally appears no one can say you were wrong, unless of course we find out that it was on the table before today.

Immie

It would take months, nay years, for Congress to ever agree to a VAT in addition to other personal taxes. I did hear George Will suggest the other day on Morning Joe, however, that a Value Added Tax which would replace the entire tax system would be much more fair and workable than either the fair tax or flat tax which seek to overhaul the existing tax structure. Sounds good to me.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, everyone's jumping the gun and projecting (again) how horrible their taxes will become, when it's basically only millionnaires and billionnaires who will lose their windfall when the Bush tax cuts are not renewed in 2011.

Well thank God for the Morning Joe Show. I feel better now that they have told me its going to be ok. Do you realize that a VAT Tax is a tax that is put on every step of the process all the way to the point of Buying it? The Fair Tax is a one time tax on the sale of goods. Compare both and tell me whats truly fair, instead of just listening to some liberal dumbass give his opinion. Learn what the hell he is talking about before taking his word for it!!

Tell us what "it" is.

Would it bother you if "it" was making a $250,000 dollar "Lexus" or a $5,000,000.00 yacht?

How about diamond jewelry?

Gold "bling"?

"Private jets"?

What about "caviar"?

Persian rugs?

Private planes?

Sterling Silver tea set?

Mansion?

Believe me, there are lot's of stuff they could tax the shit out of for all I care.

Yeah. rdean's type of thinking worked out really well when luxury taxes were place on boats. The industry was decimated - and a lot of middle and working class people lost their jobs.

So if the sales tax was eliminated also, it's worth taking a look at. At this point, I don't endorse anything.

What happens to state budgets if the Feds add a Federal VAT and eliminate State Sales Taxes - and how on earth could that be Consitutional?

I dunno. Maybe George Will talks further about it (or will in the future, since his initial article became an instant alert). But my guess would be that states would still be able to use a state sales tax, the VAT tax being federal only.

If you believe for ONE minute the government will ever give up income tax without being FORCED to do it at the point of a gun, I have some swamp land in the Artic Circle I want to sell you. :lol::lol:

It's not going to happen. No they will add the VAT on TOP of what we already pay.

IOW - it will just make everything much more expensive.

The results will be lower disposable income, high unemployment, and more people receiving transfer payments from the Fed due to low/under employment (thus increasing the permanent Big Government voter bloc).

Did you ever give him credit for cutting your taxes?

Obama tax plan: $80 billion in cuts, five-minute filings - CNN.com

HE DIDN'T CUT TAXES. :lol::lol::lol:

Will you quit trotting out this lie!

He gave ONE TIME PAYMENTS to certain people and it sure as hell WASN'T ME, and I make a lot LESS than 250K like Obama said.

Where IS my tax cut like Obama promised????

That's not a tax cut. That's simply a HANDOUT. A tax cut is where I get to keep my money IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I don't have to hand it over to Washington, and MAYBE they will give me some of it back like giving a dog a milk bone.

Bush gave us a TAX CUT.

Obama did not!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah. rdean's type of thinking worked out really well when luxury taxes were place on boats. The industry was decimated - and a lot of middle and working class people lost their jobs.

Oh please. A 1991 tax that to my knowledge amounted to a mere blip for someone who could afford "luxury" boats. I almost married a guy in 1983 who owned a small marina on Lake Champlain and I can gurantee that there wasn't a single person who docked even a small sailboat there who complained he couldn't afford it because of the "tax" on boats. That marina was adjacent to a very large marina which once built ocean-going vessels during WWII and where the really big expensive boats were docked as well as dry-docked all winter, and there were at least 50 employees year-round who cared for them.

I think we see the idiot. First you got thorously owned on your screed that Bush "cherry picked" the data to go to war with Iraq (amazing how Bush made Clinton cherry pick that data, three years before Bush was president, huh? :lol:)

Now you can't even BOTHER to read the article and leap in, with your knee jerk Obamabot-itis.

FROM THE FIRST PARAGRAPH:

Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option - Yahoo! News

Fevered imaginations huh?

Do you continue to be a mouth piece for Obama because you enjoy getting owned?

You seem to be the one with a comprehension problem. FROM THE SAME ARTICLE:

In the CNBC interview, Obama said he was waiting for recommendations from a bipartisan fiscal advisory commission on ways to tackle the deficit and other problems.

When asked if he could see a potential VAT in this nation, the president said: "I know that there's been a lot of talk around town lately about the value-added tax. That is something that has worked for some countries. It's something that would be novel for the United States."

Even Yahoo embellished its headline with an assumption that is not there.

Who has comprehension problems???

TRUST ME. Obama wants this tax.

That's called floating a trial balloon to see how much resistance he gets to it. Not that it really matters to that bastard.

Look at healthcare. Most people are against it, but they passed and signed it anyway.

You don't understand politics at all!

An estimated 30,000 jobs were lost in the early 1990s:

After waging a two-year battle that eventually led to the Congressional repeal of the tax in August, the boating industry now expects the repeal to have an immediate impact on sales, production and work-force levels, said Jeff W. Napier, president of the National Marine Manufacturer's Association, the principal trade group of the recreational marine industry. Recouping Losses; Not a Victory

Mr. Caruso said: "It will certainly help our industry, where activity doesn't start in the factory but on the showroom floor. Sales of boats at the retail level give manufacturers the incentive to produce. Our sales are starting to pick up a bit. And despite the recession we were not hurt too badly overall this year. Luckily, we are in an affluent area so the revenues we didn't generate in sales we were able to pretty much make up in service. And our marina was 100 percent occupied, so this season turned out to be a pretty good one for us."

But, Mr. Napier said, manufacturers don't view repeal so much as a victory as a chance to return to where they were before enactment of the tax.

"It's hard to be elated when our own government activity created a loss of 30,000 American jobs and destroyed dozens of companies in the process," Mr. Napier said. "And the revenues weren't there. For every dollar that was collected on the luxury tax, we estimated the Federal Government paid out $5 for each dollar collected in unemployment benefits and other costs caused by layoffs. Then, too, a contracting economy brought sales that were subject to the tax to a virtual standstill, causing unemployment, plant closings and foreclosures in the marine industry."

Luxury-Tax Repeal Encourages Sellers - NYTimes.com

That's one small sector of the economy. Apply making everything more expensive to the current job environment. It aint' pretty.

Oh please. A 1991 tax that to my knowledge amounted to a mere blip for someone who could afford "luxury" boats. I almost married a guy in 1983 who owned a small marina on Lake Champlain and I can gurantee that there wasn't a single person who docked even a small sailboat there who complained he couldn't afford it because of the "tax" on boats. That marina was adjacent to a very large marina which once built ocean-going vessels during WWII and where the really big expensive boats were docked as well as dry-docked all winter, and there were at least 50 employees year-round who cared for them.

Well since you "almost" married him in '83 and the taxes were imposed in '91, did you ever go back and see how his business was doing, if he had to lay people off, or if his Marina took a direct hit?

You show your myopic knowlege of taxes in your post.

That isn't why the luxury tax was repealed. It wasn't those that owned boats it hurt.

It doesn't matter if rich people can afford to pay a tax. It's if they will CHOOSE TO PAY IT. DUH! :cuckoo:

In this case they didn't, and it hurt the BOAT INDUSTRY. You think everyone that works on or makes boats is rich?

It was putting working wage people out of work. THOSE are the people who cried to the government to repeal the tax and FOR ONCE the government saw the error of it's ways.

You liberals NEVER get that these taxes don't hurt the rich, THEY HURT US!

We are the ones that end up paying the tax, whether it's in lost jobs, less money in our wallets, or both.

An estimated 30,000 jobs were lost in the early 1990s:

After waging a two-year battle that eventually led to the Congressional repeal of the tax in August, the boating industry now expects the repeal to have an immediate impact on sales, production and work-force levels, said Jeff W. Napier, president of the National Marine Manufacturer's Association, the principal trade group of the recreational marine industry. Recouping Losses; Not a Victory

Mr. Caruso said: "It will certainly help our industry, where activity doesn't start in the factory but on the showroom floor. Sales of boats at the retail level give manufacturers the incentive to produce. Our sales are starting to pick up a bit. And despite the recession we were not hurt too badly overall this year. Luckily, we are in an affluent area so the revenues we didn't generate in sales we were able to pretty much make up in service. And our marina was 100 percent occupied, so this season turned out to be a pretty good one for us."

But, Mr. Napier said, manufacturers don't view repeal so much as a victory as a chance to return to where they were before enactment of the tax.

"It's hard to be elated when our own government activity created a loss of 30,000 American jobs and destroyed dozens of companies in the process," Mr. Napier said. "And the revenues weren't there. For every dollar that was collected on the luxury tax, we estimated the Federal Government paid out $5 for each dollar collected in unemployment benefits and other costs caused by layoffs. Then, too, a contracting economy brought sales that were subject to the tax to a virtual standstill, causing unemployment, plant closings and foreclosures in the marine industry."

Luxury-Tax Repeal Encourages Sellers - NYTimes.com

That's one small sector of the economy. Apply making everything more expensive to the current job environment. It aint' pretty.

Maggie shows her complete ignorance of how taxes affect an economy in her posts.

It isn't the rich that pay these taxes. It's US.

Tax policy based on Envy of people who earn and have more, is generally a Bad Idea.

Just sayin'.

He gave ONE TIME PAYMENTS to certain people and it sure as hell WASN'T ME, and I make a lot LESS than 250K like Obama said.

That's not a tax cut. That's simply a HANDOUT. A tax cut is where I get to keep my money IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I don't have to hand it over to Washington, and MAYBE they will give me some of it back like giving a dog a milk bone.

Bush gave us a TAX CUT.

Obama did not!

Obama's stimulus package cut taxes by at least 300 billion. It was forty percent of the entire package.

Obama wants tax cuts in stimulus plan - Los Angeles Times

Bush gave us a TAX CUT.

Obama did not!

Obama's stimulus package cut taxes by at least 300 billion. It was forty percent of the entire package.

Obama wants tax cuts in stimulus plan - Los Angeles Times

All that says is Obama wants those "tax breaks."

All I'm seeing is one time payments to Obama buddies and those he hopes to bribe to vote Democrat who thinks the money comes from "Obama's stash."

If Obama wants to cut taxes, why is he sun setting Bush's tax cuts, which all you liberals claim is "tax cuts for the rich?"

Here's the truth that liberals are trying to lie about:

Short-term fiscal policies fail to promote long-term growth.

The major part of the first stimulus package was the $115 billion, temporary rebate payment program targeted to individuals and families that phased out as incomes rose. Most of the rebate checks were mailed or directly deposited during May, June and July.

These results may seem surprising, but they are not. They correspond very closely to what basic economic theory tells us. According to the permanent-income theory of Milton Friedman, or the life-cycle theory of Franco Modigliani, temporary increases in income will not lead to significant increases in consumption. However, if increases are longer-term, as in the case of permanent tax cut, then consumption is increased, and by a significant amount.

Why Permanent Tax Cuts Are the Best Stimulus - WSJ.com

One time rebates ARE NOT A TAX CUT.

PLUS WILL THIS VAT TAX BE SOMETHING I ONLY HAVE TO PAY ONE TIME??????????

You liberals are a joke. I post an article about a tax that will destroy this economy and have us paying exorbitant taxes THE REST OF OUR LIVES, and you think a ONE TIME REBATE counters that??????

Is the VAT a one time rebate to the government??????? HELL TO THE NO!!!!!!!!

But your answer is a MEASELY one time little drib that MOST OF US never saw!!!!!!!

What a complete joke.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Run away, your talking points you got from your handlers is an utter fail.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back